Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I just installed mine. Seems to work, but here's my issue:

    My phone fluctuates from 5 bars, down to 1-2. Shouldn't it be a steady 5 when I'm on the air rave, which is in the same room as the phone? I've also noticed that it goes down to a couple of bars when the phone is in standby. This causes much battery drainage overnight. One of the things I had hoped the Air Rave would address. The 5-1 bars also seems to occur every time I browse a web page.

    So,
    Is this normal behavior, or do I have a bad unit?

    TIA for any insight before I spend the time driving to the sprint store.
  2. duratime's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #2  
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question about the airwave that I hope you can answer. I have a friend that just bought a house in a marginal service area and I told him that there is a thing called the airwave that might help him out, but I couldn't find it on the sprint online store. My question is, would this help him out and is it available in the US? Also, where did you get it? Thanks again, and sorry for the hijack.
  3. #3  
    It could be that your phone is searching for an EVDO signal and, finding only a weak one is bouncing between the Airave and the EVDO signal at the tower.



    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I just installed mine. Seems to work, but here's my issue:

    My phone fluctuates from 5 bars, down to 1-2. Shouldn't it be a steady 5 when I'm on the air rave, which is in the same room as the phone? I've also noticed that it goes down to a couple of bars when the phone is in standby. This causes much battery drainage overnight. One of the things I had hoped the Air Rave would address. The 5-1 bars also seems to occur every time I browse a web page.

    So,
    Is this normal behavior, or do I have a bad unit?

    TIA for any insight before I spend the time driving to the sprint store.
  4. #4  
    I would suggest calling the customer support line for Airave. I had a similar thing happen to me a few months ago when I first got my Pre. I could have the Pre less than 20 feet from the Airave and still would miss calls. After a couple days, one of their engineers called and had increased the power output of the Airave. Since that time, I haven't had a problem.

    When you call the first time, be prepared to be on the phone with a little while. When I called, they had me do several speed tests to specific websites and also a test specific to VOIP.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlavelle1 View Post
    I would suggest calling the customer support line for Airave. I had a similar thing happen to me a few months ago when I first got my Pre. I could have the Pre less than 20 feet from the Airave and still would miss calls. After a couple days, one of their engineers called and had increased the power output of the Airave. Since that time, I haven't had a problem.

    When you call the first time, be prepared to be on the phone with a little while. When I called, they had me do several speed tests to specific websites and also a test specific to VOIP.
    +1

    Make sure that you have it mounted high and central in your home. Also make sure that you run in Wi-Fi mode on the phone. I have noticed that it seems to be a fighting match with the tower (1-2 bars) and the Airave (5-bar) if Wi-Fi is not running.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks all. So this isn't normal. I'll definitely give support a call and see what can be done!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    It could be that your phone is searching for an EVDO signal and, finding only a weak one is bouncing between the Airave and the EVDO signal at the tower.
    Hmm. But I think the airave does give me an evdo signal? There's no way I was ever getting above a single bar before, and now I'm getting 5 with the EV icon up.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by duratime View Post
    I have a friend that just bought a house in a marginal service area and I told him that there is a thing called the airwave that might help him out, but I couldn't find it on the sprint online store. My question is, would this help him out and is it available in the US? Also, where did you get it? Thanks again, and sorry for the hijack.
    It's called the "Airave", not the airwave, which is probably why you couldn't find it. Sprint has been giving the hardware away for free if you are in an area with no signal, and sometimes even a few months of free service. Just call or go to a store and ask, and tell them you want it for free. Only available in the US ... it has a little GPS thingy to make sure in fact. Works well for me, although I had some issues when I was on DSL, no problems since moving to FIOS.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Hmm. But I think the airave does give me an evdo signal? There's no way I was ever getting above a single bar before, and now I'm getting 5 with the EV icon up.
    There's been rumors that Sprint was coming out with an EVDO model, but the current ones definitely don't have EVDO.

    Re: the other complaints about low signals ... I've never seen that. It drops a couple of bars if I walk around the house, but no jumping around when I'm in the same room. I agree with the other post that it may be bouncing while looking for EVDO ... but if you have WiFi on, it should use that rather than searching for EVDO. Works great for me at home with the combination of WiFi (which I always have on at home) and phone service via the Airave.
  10. #10  
    My understanding is that the Airave only carries voice, not data.
  11. #11  
    It suppors 1X data only, no EVDO or anything else. Mine has been working great since I got it. There are some rumors that the new ones have been redesigned and support 3G, but there are some issues with them. There is another thread regarding this on this same forum.



    Quote Originally Posted by mbsprinter View Post
    My understanding is that the Airave only carries voice, not data.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    There's been rumors that Sprint was coming out with an EVDO model, but the current ones definitely don't have EVDO.

    Re: the other complaints about low signals ... I've never seen that. It drops a couple of bars if I walk around the house, but no jumping around when I'm in the same room. I agree with the other post that it may be bouncing while looking for EVDO ... but if you have WiFi on, it should use that rather than searching for EVDO. Works great for me at home with the combination of WiFi (which I always have on at home) and phone service via the Airave.
    Hrm. So I still have to go through the hassle of disabling data so that the phone stays on wifi when it suspends, otherwise I get the problem of it trying to go to the EVDO tower instead of my airave, and phone sucks battery overnight.

    I'll call the support number after the holiday. Thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions