Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Can someone explain to me what LTE is and how its going to effect the CDMA carriers?
    I know Verizon is headed towards it, but I dont really understand what it is and how it's going to work. Or even if its an add-on to CDMA, GSM or an entirely different thing all together.

Really just asking out of sheer curiosity and cause you guys are so damn smart!
    LTE is a 4G radio technology, as WiMax, which Sprint has chosen. Most (all?) other North American carriers are going w/ LTE. Neither is a direct add-on to CDMA or GSM. Both are 'over-lay' technologies.

Google is your friend!
    It's super fast(7-12mb down, 3-5mb up) wireless data currently available in 2 cities (Seattle and Boston) and has been working on a rollout of 30 markets within 2010.
    The 7-12mb, is that for LTE or for WiMax?
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's super fast(7-12mb down, 3-5mb up) wireless data currently available in 2 cities (Seattle and Boston) and has been working on a rollout of 30 markets within 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by jescandalo View Post
    The 7-12mb, is that for LTE or for WiMax?

Icer is thinking of WiMax. LTE will be significantly faster than current WiMax speeds (although about equal with theoretical top limits for now). My understanding is that there hasn't been a single real deployment of LTE yet - it's still being tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by FONdude View Post
    Most (all?) other North American carriers are going w/ LTE.
    Actually most carriers period are going with LTE, not just in NA.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    Icer is thinking of WiMax. LTE will be significantly faster than current WiMax speeds (although about equal with theoretical top limits for now). My understanding is that there hasn't been a single real deployment of LTE yet - it's still being tested.
    Current WiMax speeds are still based on Release 1.0, however the WiMax foundation is looking ahead to release 1.5 and even release 2.0 already.

Currently the WiMax hardware works on 802.16e, the release 1.5 launch will bump speeds up to around what LTE claims, and the release 2 launch will upgrade the network functionality to 802.16m and allow speeds up to 4 times faster than current implementations in addition to more future-proofing and looking at upwards of 100Mbps mobile, 1Gbps fixed.

At the moment there isn't a real world LTE network for the average consumer to use. There is a huge difference between theoretical maximums, lab testing maximums, real world network maximums, and consumer usage maximums. Just look at AT&T's 3G network, it may theoretically be able to pull 7.2Mbps but look at how terrible it seems to be by reading the internet (I haven't personally used AT&T).
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)