1.    #1  
    I'm kind of bothered by this incident.

I switched from Alltel to Sprint on Halloween 2009. It was partially an impulse move, but with the Any Mobile, Anytime plan, plus a generous discount given to me by the Sprint employee who helped me, I realized I would be saving money comparable to my current Alltel plan.

So I switched, knowing full well I'd be paying the Alltel ETF. That was fine with me, I factored that into my money-saving, so no problems there. I figured they'd send me a bill. So I waited. And I waited. I tried to log on to the website but my account was inaccessible. I tried to call customer service, but it wouldn't let me past the main menu where you had to enter your number - it said my number, which had been ported to Sprint, was invalid. November passed; I even still got customer related mail from them. Finally, yesterday, halfway through December, I got a collection call.

I called Alltel and started pounding '0', trying to get an agent. I finally got a hold of someone, who was finally able to bring up the old account and have it taken care of.

Answer me this: if they still have all my old contact information, including my phone number (to call me to begin with) and my payment information, I'm pretty sure they had my address so they could have sent me a bill.

It's taken care of now, so I'm not really mad, but it just reminds me why I left them to begin with. Did they just expect me to jump and pay it? I had always paid my bills online and I figured if they're going to lock me out of the online account, they could at least send me a bill. It's not like their online pay system was convenient though. Their entire site seemed to be only compatible with Internet Explorer (yuck), so what about us Mac users? Paying my bill or making changes meant finding a computer lab or using a friend's computer. Hopefully, that will never be a problem with Sprint.

At the end of the conversation with the agent, she stated the canned phrase "Thank you for choosing Alltel" and I wanted to be like "Um...not anymore?"

Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever had to pay an ETF like this or has had to deal with a company that just disappears like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanielonfire View Post
    I'm kind of bothered by this incident.

I switched from Alltel to Sprint on Halloween 2009. It was partially an impulse move, but with the Any Mobile, Anytime plan, plus a generous discount given to me by the Sprint employee who helped me, I realized I would be saving money comparable to my current Alltel plan.

So I switched, knowing full well I'd be paying the Alltel ETF. That was fine with me, I factored that into my money-saving, so no problems there. I figured they'd send me a bill. So I waited. And I waited. I tried to log on to the website but my account was inaccessible. I tried to call customer service, but it wouldn't let me past the main menu where you had to enter your number - it said my number, which had been ported to Sprint, was invalid. November passed; I even still got customer related mail from them. Finally, yesterday, halfway through December, I got a collection call.

I called Alltel and started pounding '0', trying to get an agent. I finally got a hold of someone, who was finally able to bring up the old account and have it taken care of.

Answer me this: if they still have all my old contact information, including my phone number (to call me to begin with) and my payment information, I'm pretty sure they had my address so they could have sent me a bill.

It's taken care of now, so I'm not really mad, but it just reminds me why I left them to begin with. Did they just expect me to jump and pay it? I had always paid my bills online and I figured if they're going to lock me out of the online account, they could at least send me a bill. It's not like their online pay system was convenient though. Their entire site seemed to be only compatible with Internet Explorer (yuck), so what about us Mac users? Paying my bill or making changes meant finding a computer lab or using a friend's computer. Hopefully, that will never be a problem with Sprint.

At the end of the conversation with the agent, she stated the canned phrase "Thank you for choosing Alltel" and I wanted to be like "Um...not anymore?"

Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever had to pay an ETF like this or has had to deal with a company that just disappears like that.
    Yes...Verizon several yeas ago...but again, they own Alltel so it sounds as the same practice.