Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I understand the whole regulatory charge thing. Sprint pretty much pulls some kind of fee increase every year.

What I don't understand is the $4.99 per month per line ASL (Account Spending Limit) fee. Granted, the terms say "in certain areas", but that's still ridiculous.

My wife wants a Pixi, but we'd be looking at $110 for EPF 1500 + $10 for the ASL fees. At $120, it wouldn't cost us a nickel more to get the same plan from T-Mobile. And with T-Mo, I might actually get a decent signal in my house.

Doesn't Sprint realize that most people stick with them because they're the cheapest?

I'm about to email eCare and see if this fee will apply to my account, and/or if I can get the ASL lifted (been over 2 years with no problems). If I have to pay that extra $10/mo come January, I will say goodbye to Sprint.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    you should also check to see if either your or your wife's places of employment will give you the benefit of a corporate discount. I get 27% off my bill.
    ASL fee is applied to those who have limits, which are those who didnt pass the credit check and had to pay a deposit. Kinda dumb, considering that you have the deposit already. Even still, I agree that its not in Sprint's interest to start getting fee-happy.

Even so, Sprint will still be cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.
  4.    #4  
    I didn't have to pay a deposit, but they still put a spending limit on.

I feel kinda dumb now, though. I chatted with Customer Care, and they informed me that my ASL was lifted on October 25

Looks like Sprint wins again!
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    ASL fee is applied to those who have limits, which are those who didnt pass the credit check and had to pay a deposit. Kinda dumb, considering that you have the deposit already. Even still, I agree that its not in Sprint's interest to start getting fee-happy.

Even so, Sprint will still be cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.
    I have a limit of $1200.00 per month , with the ability to utilize up to 9 lines. I have no such fee attached to my account and was not required to place deposit for service.
    Not exactly sure about what you mean about limits ?
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    you should also check to see if either your or your wife's places of employment will give you the benefit of a corporate discount. I get 27% off my bill.
    You can also get 10% of by being a member of a Credit Union.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    OK, I understand the whole regulatory charge thing. Sprint pretty much pulls some kind of fee increase every year.

What I don't understand is the $4.99 per month per line ASL (Account Spending Limit) fee. Granted, the terms say "in certain areas", but that's still ridiculous.

My wife wants a Pixi, but we'd be looking at $110 for EPF 1500 + $10 for the ASL fees. At $120, it wouldn't cost us a nickel more to get the same plan from T-Mobile. And with T-Mo, I might actually get a decent signal in my house.

Doesn't Sprint realize that most people stick with them because they're the cheapest?

I'm about to email eCare and see if this fee will apply to my account, and/or if I can get the ASL lifted (been over 2 years with no problems). If I have to pay that extra $10/mo come January, I will say goodbye to Sprint.
    They may want to loose unprofitable customers or customers who may be or become a credit risk.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm with you. That'd be +$15 on my bill. Rather go with t-mobile. Would be a shame to have to let go of my Pre though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    I have a limit of $1200.00 per month , with the ability to utilize up to 9 lines. I have no such fee attached to my account and was not required to place deposit for service.
    Not exactly sure about what you mean about limits ?
    Sprint is preparing to levy a fee on Account Spending Limit customers beginning in January 2010 - $5 per line. See original post.

EDIT: I also think this is a terrible idea on Sprint's part, but it's not a surprise to me, as they have a long and varied history of loathsome business decisions. But - doesn't this bring them into parity with T-Mobile? I seem to recall T-Mo charging extra fees on the accounts of their credit-handicapped customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Sprint is preparing to levy a fee on Account Spending Limit customers beginning in January 2010 - $5 per line. See original post.

EDIT: I also think this is a terrible idea on Sprint's part, but it's not a surprise to me, as they have a long and varied history of loathsome business decisions. But - doesn't this bring them into parity with T-Mobile? I seem to recall T-Mo charging extra fees on the accounts of their credit-handicapped customers.
    What exactly is a spending limit customer ? I have an above average credit score with no delinquency no CC balances what so ever , a mortgage and two car payments. I can see me being a risk other than being a newer customer
    I think it's balls that they're only doing it if you don't set up Automatic Payments. That's even worse! I hate automatic payments - I can't remember when they're supposed to come out and I like the flexibility to pay at any time throughout my 30 ****ing days. Also, I completed a two year contract with Verizon, I think that should be enough to establish I can maintain a phone line without falling into delinquency. If they really wanted to punish the people who don't pay their bills reliably, then they should just gouge them in late fees instead of premptively charging everybody.
    It seems as though they are trying to bridge the gap between their lower credit requirements and the top 2 players in the game. By assigning a fee, it gives them the ability to still offer lower credit requirements, but not be totally in the red when a sub fails to pay during the early parts of the agreement. So If you have paid on time for awhile and have not had any Non pay disconnects, I'd call to get your account reviewed. If you have had non pay disconnects or problem paying on time, this fee is for you.

They are betting that those with those issues will find a high deposit and unforgiving terms with the other carriers....at least that's what I'm thinking is going on here...Remember the carrier is in the red after subsidy until the 16th month is it?
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/11/2009 at 12:51 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I think it's balls that they're only doing it if you don't set up Automatic Payments. That's even worse! I hate automatic payments - I can't remember when they're supposed to come out and I like the flexibility to pay at any time throughout my 30 ****ing days. Also, I completed a two year contract with Verizon, I think that should be enough to establish I can maintain a phone line without falling into delinquency. If they really wanted to punish the people who don't pay their bills reliably, then they should just gouge them in late fees instead of premptively charging everybody.
    Yeah knock them when they are already down...see how many people who can't afford their normal bill do with a larger than normal bill because of inflated late charges. I get where you are coming from, but know that they cant get your records with verizon unless it went to collections, and you can always set up a free savings or checking account that the money comes out of every 30 days. Put it in there when you feel like it and presto! You've got your wish of pain free auto bill!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Also, I completed a two year contract with Verizon, I think that should be enough to establish I can maintain a phone line without falling into delinquency.
    That doesn't mean anything. Cell companies don't report your payments to the credit bureaus. They only report if you go delinquent. Sucks, but that's the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    What exactly is a spending limit customer ? I have an above average credit score with no delinquency no CC balances what so ever , a mortgage and two car payments. I can see me being a risk other than being a newer customer
    You've got me, man. I used to run credit checks hundreds of times a month for Sprint, and the results were never predictable. I had many guys in sharp suits and great haircuts pull a $500 deposit, and many homeless-looking people get 5 lines, no deposit. Honestly, I think Sprint just pays a bunch of people in the credit department to sit there with Magic 8-balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    You've got me, man. I used to run credit checks hundreds of times a month for Sprint, and the results were never predictable. I had many guys in sharp suits and great haircuts pull a $500 deposit, and many homeless-looking people get 5 lines, no deposit. Honestly, I think Sprint just pays a bunch of people in the credit department to sit there with Magic 8-balls.
    Magic 8 ball's , good one. Looked at my account last night after reading this original post. Where will it state you have a spending limit on the bill ? I cant find it on paper or on line ?
    They should have mentioned it when you set up the account. You can also check online at Sprint's site.

I have less then perfect credit do to some stupid mistakes when I was younger. I'm rebuilding it, but it takes time. I didn't have to make a deposit when I started my account, but I was stuck with a $200.00 ASL.

Not for nothing, but I'm certainly not happy with this new fee, but given they let me have a new line without a deposit with less then stellar credit, I can't be too upset.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
    That doesn't mean anything. Cell companies don't report your payments to the credit bureaus. They only report if you go delinquent. Sucks, but that's the way it is.
    Cellular phone bills are just that bills. Bills in and of themselves do not do much for your credit unless you have several (like 5). So say for example you have a house payment, electric, mobile phone, gas, and water bills it would make a difference. But each one independently means just about nothing as far as the credit bureaus are concerned.

And I just want to clarify a few things:

Spending Limit customers do not necessarily have deposits. Most do, but you can be in the middle ground of not requiring a deposit, but having a spending limit. The spending limit is there to protect both the customer and Sprint from running the bill up so high it will not be payed.

Most customers do not have a spending limit, those without a spending limit are not affected at all. Those with a spending limit should have been advised of it when the account was setup. If you are not sure you can find out at Sprint.com (if you do it will have a section telling you how far until your limit) or you can call into Customer Care.

The Spending Limit fee is waived if you are on autopay. The fee helps to offset the cost of the vast difference in the number of Care calls caused by ASL customers going over their limit or not paying on time versus non-ASL customers.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  19.    #19  
    For anyone looking to have their ASL lifted, here are the requirements per my chat with Customer Care:

• Account has been open a minumum of 18 months
    • Account is not currently past due
    • Account shows positive pay history over the last 12 months (no more than 3 collection entries)
    • Last credit class upgrade occurred at least 9 months ago

The credit class thing basically means that your credit score has improved since opening service, and it's been at least 9 months since then.
    I just emailed Sprint asking to have my ASL lifted and they told me I had to get on the auto pay to avoid the $4.99 charge. I just got a happy 10 year anniversary card from them and I do meet the requirements for having my ASL lifted. I'm not a happy camper right now...

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast