Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys, you won't believe this, but SPrint is upping the regulatory fee charge on it's phone contracts next month, which will allow any of us to cancel our contract with no ETF, exactly when AT&T and VZ are going to make the Pre available on their networks!

See here: Sprint to Increase Per-Line Regulatory Fee to $0.40, Changes to T&Cs on January 10th, 2010 | PhoneNews.com

This kind of contract change means that customers can call them within 30 days of receiving the contract change notice and cancel their service with no ETF! You might even be able to get them to move you to a month to month plan in order to avoid losing you completely.

The timing of this couldn't be better for AT&T and VZ since both will be offering the Pre at that time. And you can even sell your existing CDMA Pre on Ebay, and get a brand new Pre (or a Droid phone if you like it better)...

Even if you don't want to cancel Sprint, you should take advantage of this to get out of your contract and be immediately qualified for an upgrade, though Sprint really doesn't have any phones worth moving to beyond the Pre at this time. But they might in 6 months and then you can upgrade without shelling out the bucks.

Every Sprint customer should take advantage of this. Again, you just can't ask for better timing.

Thank you Sprint!
    Thanks for the heads up.
    wow, if this is because of recent legislation then that is really a step in the right direction. A cell phone co. shouldn't be able to force you to accept fee increases.
    can anyone confirm if this works? Last time this happened and I tried this I got a run around sayin that it wasn't true.
    I have 4 lines with sprint, 3 of which have been upgraded in the past 2 months. Is it possible to get all the contracts canceled and be put on a month to month basis? Has anyone had success doing this? Any help would be appreciated.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    can anyone confirm if this works? Last time this happened and I tried this I got a run around sayin that it wasn't true.
    Here's an excerpt from your contract:

"you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fgcchevy View Post
    I have 4 lines with sprint, 3 of which have been upgraded in the past 2 months. Is it possible to get all the contracts canceled and be put on a month to month basis? Has anyone had success doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Should be. The terms of use I just posted clearly indicate this is on a line by line basis. All that Sprint HAS to do is cancel your service. If they believe that you will cancel, they'll probably convert you to month to month as people have been successful in doing that before, esp. on the expensive plans we all have to take. But YMMV.

In any case, it's definitely worth a call to Sprint to push this!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    they'll probably convert you to month to month
    Can you explain what you mean by converting you to a month by month? Is this something like Boost mobile or are we talking about the same plan I am on now that comes with a two year contract possibly being converted to a month at a time contract?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by converting you to a month by month? Is this something like Boost mobile or are we talking about the same plan I am on now that comes with a two year contract possibly being converted to a month at a time contract?
    The latter. Rather than lose you as a sub (and be killed by Wall street for losing a ton of subs), they'll probably be willing to convert you to a no contract basis - same plan, just that you can cancel anytime.

With the new Android phones coming out, as well as the Pre on AT&T and VZ, it's fantastic timing. And if you have a Pre with lousy build quality but love Sprint, it may pay to terminate your plan and then sign up with Sprint again and get a brand new phone.
    Here's an excerpt from your contract:

"you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment."
    Please note, that while this may be a good thing for those that wish to switch, if you you plan on staying with Sprint and attempt to use this, they are not obligated to retain you on a month to month basis.
    I think that pointing out the contract is completely legitimate. That being said, I think it is reprehensible to try this to just get something for nothing.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Please note, that while this may be a good thing for those that wish to switch, if you you plan on staying with Sprint and attempt to use this, they are not obligated to retain you on a month to month basis.
    I think I said just that... But Sprint is bleeding subs, and with the PRe exclusive ending now, this is fantastic news.

In fact, one could pick up a Pre or Pixi or other Sprint handset now, and then cancel next month with no ETF and keep the handset for free. Then you can go get sprint service and bring your own handset and go month to month from the get go.

These T&C changes are SO good for consumers.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I think that pointing out the contract is completely legitimate. That being said, I think it is reprehensible to try this to just get something for nothing.
    Sprint is the one invalidating the contract. No one has to take action, but carrier abuse ETF's to lock subs in all the time. These changes are some of the few opportunities where consumers get leverage on their side.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Agreed but if I can go from a 2 year obligated contract to a month by month, I would certainly use this to do it. I am tired of being forced into something like it is now. Granted, a month to month probably would not get the same discounts on new phones but I can deal with that.
    I think I said just that... But Sprint is bleeding subs, and with the PRe exclusive ending now, this is fantastic news.

In fact, one could pick up a Pre or Pixi or other Sprint handset now, and then cancel next month with no ETF and keep the handset for free. Then you can go get sprint service and bring your own handset and go month to month from the get go.

These T&C changes are SO good for consumers.
    Except for what you are advocating might just cripple Sprint to the point of failure. Consumers would lose a choice and as such would end up paying more.

If you are unhappy with the change to .40 cents (which I think is silly, but it might not to some), then it would be ok to hold them to their contract. That being said, if you are only using this change to get out of your Pre and sign up to get another subsidized phone, then you are ethically wrong.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    sweet, i wont have to leave my Pre streaming audio while roaming 24/7 till Sprint kicks me off so I can go to Vz for free!
    But if you cancel, then you wont be a premier customer no more, Right?
    I've been with sprint sense 2002 that's over 7 years of dedication thrown out the window!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    So how can I term it when I call them next month?
    "I am a sprint premier customer, have been with sprint for 11 years now and would like to have my contract switched over to month to month"
    :-)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    So how can I term it when I call them next month?
    "I am a sprint premier customer, have been with sprint for 11 years now and would like to have my contract switched over to month to month"
    :-)
    Again, here is the except from the contract:

You need to do a) and b). Then see what they do to prevent you from canceling completely.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Sure, I would love to switch to AT&T or Verizon and pay an extra $110 a month for all the services I get on Sprint included in my plan. That would be super!

Don't give me the Verizon has better coverage argument either, it's played out.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast