Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 444
  1. st0921's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #81  
    The way I see this is neither ethics nor morality, it's just a simple fact of profit & loss analysis by Sprint. Before make this change officially, Sprint must have already analyzed certain amount of loss that they expect to occur, let's say from losing 0.1% of its existing customers who will exercise get-out-of-contract free card. Comparing this expected loss to the extra revenue they can generate from 99.9% of existing customer for $0.15 per line, the profit simply exceeded the estimated loss. Choosing between 0.1% and 99.9% is purely your own decision, which, I believe, is totally expected by Sprint.
    Although I see the point that it may not be moral to encourage other people to exercise this option, I don't think anyone has a right to blame each customer's choice of exercising the option.
  2. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Account Spending Limit customers who sign up for autopay have the fee waived automatically. From what I've seen there are no individual waivers for accounts they are doing.

    ASL customers as a whole cost Sprint much more than other customers due to the number of calls into Care when they are hotlined after going over their spending limits or not paying their bill. It is a disproportionate number of ASL customers versus non-ASL customers.
    Yeah I just looked into it and after further thought - I'll just sign up for the automatic payment option. The fact that neither AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile have a phone I'm willing to buy right now played a big part there too

    I still don't like it though - the $0.15 I can live with but $5 b/c Sprint themselves choose to stick me with a spending limit when I first signed up is BS. My credit is good (granted not 750 fantastic or anything) and I've never missed a wireless or any other utility payment before so I'm not sure why I got stuck with the spending limit to start with. Sprint's "margin of error" for cash flow must be damn tight for them to implement such a policy.
    Last edited by solarus; 12/08/2009 at 03:04 PM.
  3. Kadafy's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #83  
    And Im on it. Getting my iphone. it was fun.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Yeah I just looked into it and after further thought - I'll just sign up for the automatic payment option. The fact that neither AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile have a phone I'm willing to buy right now played a big part there too

    I still don't like it though - the $0.15 I can live with but $5 b/c Sprint themselves choose to stick me with a spending limit when I first signed up is BS. My credit is good (granted not 750 fantastic or anything) and I've never missed a wireless or any other utility payment before so I'm not sure why I got stuck with the spending limit to start with. Sprint's "margin of error" for cash flow must be damn tight for them to implement such a policy.
    Most accounts don't have a spending limit, if you've been making on time payments for 12 months it is worth a shot to call into Care and see if they can review your credit rating. That will re-run the credit and possibly not only take off the spending limit but allow you more lines in the future. Another possibility is adding the ability to bill things to your account. ASL accounts are assigned to the lower credit classes instead of having to raise the deposit amounts to some insane level (like $1,000 for some customer's I've had come in that had looked at Verizon).
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    I really don't understand this at all. You say "the reason must be specifically because you do not want to pay the extra charge." That is false. That is not what the contract says.

    The contract says "If Sprint does X, you are allowed to do Y." There are no reasons or conditions. Sprint saw fit to do something it thinks will be advantageous for itself, and so should consumers if they would like to. They are getting exactly what they bargained for, nothing more, nothing less.

    This talk of "entitlements" is amusing; consumers are entitled to a newly subsidized phone in this situation because Sprint's contract says that they are entitled to it because of Sprint's action.

    There is nothing deceptive or underhanded here whatsoever on the part of folks who do this sort of thing. They are simply doing exactly what Sprint has told them that they are allowed to do.

    I'm honestly shocked at some of these reactions here. . . .
    Here is the quote from the contract.

    you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.
    I have bolded the pertinent point to why I think it is unethical. You are wishing to cancel the contract to get a new phone and not because of reason (b). Plain and simple is why I find it unethical. You are saying you are canceling for one reason (increased charge in contract) when in actuality you are canceling for another reason (to get a new phone). Does that help understand my thought process?
  6. Tcub's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    #86  
    Simply put, I don't want to leave Sprint. I've had VZW and AT&T and I have to say Sprint is the best. Good luck to those that choice another service.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post



    I have bolded the pertinent point to why I think it is unethical. You are wishing to cancel the contract to get a new phone and not because of reason (b). Plain and simple is why I find it unethical. You are saying you are canceling for one reason (increased charge in contract) when in actuality you are canceling for another reason (to get a new phone). Does that help understand my thought process?
    I suppose, but I don't think you're interpreting that correctly. The change is material and that is what enables you to terminate the contract. Whatever other motivation you have is irrelevant for purposes of the contract.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    I suppose, but I don't think you're interpreting that correctly. The change is material and that is what enables you to terminate the contract. Whatever other motivation you have is irrelevant for purposes of the contract.
    Yeah but that other motivation is what makes it unethical in my mind. You and I both know that other motivation is there. By no means am I saying that you don't have the right to terminate the contract. I completely agree with you. You are enabled to terminate the contract. I just agree with the opinion that it is unethical to terminate the contract to get a new phone. That is really all I am saying.

    Ultimately, ethics all comes down to what you believe. Deep down if you actually feel you are not doing something morally wrong, then you aren't. Really, what it takes is complete honestly with yourself though. Personally I feel it would be unethical for me to cancel my contract to get a new phone. If I wanted to cancel my contract because of the charge and the charge alone, I would have no moral problem with doing so. Deep down if I knew I was canceling just to get a new phone, I would feel it was unethical. That is all and I guess we can just agree to disagree.
  9. #89  
    I'm curious how this works. When I receive the notice for raised fees, I call Sprint and tell them I want to cancel because of the change they made to the terms. Does the cancellation take affect immediately or would I have the opportunity to port my number to another carrier. I may consider doing this but I wouldn't want to lose my phone number.
  10. Bigfire's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    #90  
    ....And! Check the Chicago Tribune. Recently the story came out that Verizon is doubling its ETFs for smart phones to subsidize for the lack of money made on those phones when new customers sign up (IEget a retail $600 phone for $50-$100).


    Make sure to look before you leap!
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

    Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
  11. Kadafy's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #91  
    I have a extra phone on my account I will get removed this way. And I may jump and try a iPhone. I will keep my wife on sprint. Nothing wrong with sprint but I just want a iphone.
  12. #92  
    I thought it was $0.40 increase. Why is everybody saying .15? is this one of those chains that loose what the original story teller told like My grandmother has purple hair and when the last person in the chain tells it the story is my grandmother has smelly purple feet? maybe if we keep this thread going long enough Sprint wont charge us 1 penny more. Wouldn't that be neat?
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by pattavino View Post
    I thought it was $0.40 increase. Why is everybody saying .15? is this one of those chains that loose what the original story teller told like My grandmother has purple hair and when the last person in the chain tells it the story is my grandmother has smelly purple feet? maybe if we keep this thread going long enough Sprint wont charge us 1 penny more. Wouldn't that be neat?
    The fee is changing TO $.40 from the current rate. I believe the current rate is $.25... Hence the actual rate change is an INCREASE of $.15.
  14. #94  
    so why is everybody crying about this?
  15. #95  
    No one seems to care about the $.15, it appears most people are using this as an excuse to get out of the contract for other reasons (mostly to get a new phone). The debate has been about if this is right or wrong.
  16. #96  
    Maybe sprint says "ok, we wont apply these changes to your account, however you will no longer be eligible for premier benifits" and then since their is no material change....you wont be able to drop the contract with not ETF. That would be funny!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17. PreMium's Avatar
    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    #97  
    Years ago when I had a Treo and didn't want a contract, I think Sprint charged me an extra $10/mo to be out of contract. That seemed OK at the time to not have an EFT, but it adds up after a while.... I wonder if they would still charge a monthly fee to go month to month
  18. corpx's Avatar
    Posts
    209 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    So Sprint soaks you for .40 cents instead of .25 or whatever it was, and this entitles you to escape your contract only to sign up at Sprints expense to get a new phone?

    That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Sure, Sprint "breached" its own contract by increasing fees, and that entitles you to leave. I am ok with that. You want to leave because of an increased fee, go ahead.

    However, leaving and then coming back simply to essentially steal from Sprint is rediculous. That makes your point about leaving due to a fee in essence a lie, and that is wrong, unless you are politician...

    Why cant Sprint just tack on the increase at the end of the contracts? Sprint's equally at fault for pulling this BS too.

    While we're on topic, is there any way I can use this to get a Pre for a family member. I got the Pre back when it came out, but he opted to get an Instinct (which he keeps having problems with).

    We're Premier customers, so I dont want to f with Sprint too bad.
  19. #99  
    I try to think more-long term: I wouldn't try to get out of my Sprint contract, mainly due to cost, and more importantly my Premier status allows me to change phones every year & I wouldn't want to risk future upgrades for a short-term gain.
  20. #100  
    I would just like to know why it is so important to change phones every time a new one comes out? Do we have to have every single toy that is made? Why can't we just enjoy what we have for a year and live with that? What phone has everything you need.

    Think of this as a marriage, you can't just get out of it because you don't like something. You have to stick with it and make it work.

    Power to the Pre!!
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions