Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 444
  1. #61  
    I'll be watching this carefully, especially if it means I can get out of the binding contract. However, SPRINT is ruthless, and they will do everything in their power to not hold up their end of the deal. In fact, I will go as far as to say they are an unscrupulous company. Hope people post their experiences with this.
  2. #62  
    I found this in the comments below the link from the OP.

    Sprint requires that you wait 90 days before being considered a new customer. You would have to port out (after getting the ETF waived), port the number to a prepaid service, and then port the number in after 90 days.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sprint doesn't require contracts. Call them up, let them know you don't want to sign a contract, and offer to buy a phone at full price. They'll sign you up.

    On the other hand, if you want them pay $200-$300 of the price of your phone, they're going to expect a committment.
    I disagree with you here. I tried for a week to activate an old phone with sprint as no contract for a somewhat unreliable friend. It was stated by 3 differant reps that it couldn't happen.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/09/2009 at 05:22 PM.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Depends. I had a third line that I didn't use, and I asked them straight up if they could cancel it. The did it no questions asked.

    I don't think you need some crazy loophole to fix what is wrong. If I had three extra lines costing me 30 bucks a month, I would be for negotiating within my contract to see if we could do something there.

    I am totally against the idea that a user drop sprint to con them into subsidizing a 400-500 dollar smartphone.

    That's the problem with the world today. So many feel that they are due some such thing because of their very existance. This is why you have people who are otherwise able living off government programs; because they can and no one will call them on it.

    Sprint is not running some government welfare program in the which you get a free/subsidized phone because you exist. Mooching off the system is unethical and is a slap in the face to those who play by the rules.
    Think what you want. You dont need to agree with but. Just dont ruin it for everyone. If they add a loophole in the contract then I see it as Sprints issue.

    Plus no one makes you play by the rules. You want too. We may not.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Sorry, but everything in this post is either inaccurate or seriously misguided.

    To begin with, this is not a feature that Sprint has willingly provided to customers. Every major carrier now has a similar provision because they have been repeatedly defeated by consumer advocates in court over precisely these "regulatory fee" shenanigans. So if you think Sprint is offering this 30-day out because they are being consumer-friendly, think again.

    Second, the provision allows you to get out of your contract period. There is no "if the new terms don't suit you" clause. It is absolute. Sprint knows this. Sprint decided to unilaterally raise a material price term in the contract anyway.

    Third, for those of you saying this is "unethical" or "immoral": by the same logic, Sprint is even more "unethical" or "immoral" because it choose to unilaterally breach your agreed-upon contract in the first place. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, because contracts are not "moral" agreements, they are economic ones. But for those of you who think that morality somehow places into this, there is no conceivable way whatsoever that Sprint has the "moral high ground" here.

    Seriously, some of you guys are a corporation's wet dream. Here is the scenario: a corporation has decided to exploit a provision in the contract that allows it to unilaterally raise the customer's price. Sprint did this knowing full well that exercising that option would allow people to get out of the contract if they so desired. And so even though the corporate contracting party saw fit to act in its best interest and exercise the price increase clause, some of you would apparently refuse to exercise the very same right that the contract provides in your benefit because you've convinced yourself that it is somehow "immoral" to do so. That is incredible; the psychology of that is fascinating but way beyond the scope of this thread. Sheep, shepherd.

    Finally, if your real concern is that this will somehow damage Sprint financially, rest assured that won't happen. Sprint has very sophisticated actuarial analysis addressing this sort of thing. In short, they will make money because they have (correctly) estimated that the vast, vast majority of consumers will not opt out of their contracts. Instead, they'll just eat the incremental increase and Sprint will reap in another free few million in revenue. Incidentally, this is the very same logic that leads businesses to offer large rebates: you can predict with actuarial certainty that a large percentage of people will never send in the rebate in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Unbelievable. Sprint customers under contract are entitled to this clause because that is what the contract provides. In what twisted reality is this some kind of welfare mechanism? This is playing by the rules.

    I mean . . . just, wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    We have a lot of Sprint affiliates and employees on this forum...
    From the bottom up now and then I say goodbye to the thread.

    - Not a Sprint employee, and I wasn't even happy with Sprint until about a year ago. My service was spotty and CS was aweful. They have fixed most of my concerns. I hate increases in my fees, but my service is still cheaper than it would be elsewhere. So why complain about 15 cents?

    - The contract provides a way out if you do not agree with new charges. The contract does not cover what you do afterwards. If you bail on the contract only to sign up 90 days later to get a cheap deal on a phone, you will have to live with that. I only suggest that by so doing, you are not being honest, but by all means do what you want. You are old enough to make that decision on your own.

    - And finally, if you think Sprint is an unethical and immoral business, then go somewhere else and find a carrier that fits your world view. Excusing unethical actions because the other guy did it first is the rule of the monkey bars, and not the way we should act. If you want to leave Sprint, again I say, do it. No one is keeping you here, and if you want to use that power in the contract to get a new phone in 90 days to soak them for all their immoral and unethical behavior, just realize that you are just stooping to their level and have no moral high horse in this matter.

    I have nothing personal against anyone in this thread at all, and I am merely stating my views on the matter. You are free to disagree with me, just as I am to disagree with you. I hope this has been as fun for you as it was for me. I like to debate. Have a great day!
    Last edited by pogeypre; 12/08/2009 at 10:11 AM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

    I have nothing personal against anyone in this thread at all, and I am merely stating my views on the matter. You are free to disagree with me, just as I am to disagree with you. I hope this has been as fun for you as it was for me. I like to debate. Have a great day!
    Same here, a nice lively discussion!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I disagree with you here. I tried for a week to activate an old phone with sprint as no contract for a somewhat unreliable friend. It was states by 3 differant reps that it couldn't happen.
    A new line of service always has a 2 year contract, even if you bring your own old phone, or buy a phone full price.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  8. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #68  
    Morals of the increase and whether or not to use the increase as an opportunity to leave Sprint or get a new phone aside...

    Is it just me but is anyone else thinking that a $0.15 increase in a per line regulatory fee hardly constitutes a "material change". The term "material change" in our contracts leaves a lot of room for interpretation especially given the extremely small increase in our monthly bills we're talking about.

    I'm willing to bet Sprint argues, rightfully so IMHO, that $0.15 per line is not a material change and does not allow people to use the increase as an excuse to opt out of their contract.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Morals of the increase and whether or not to use the increase as an opportunity to leave Sprint or get a new phone aside...

    Is it just me but is anyone else thinking that a $0.15 increase in a per line regulatory fee hardly constitutes a "material change". The term "material change" in our contracts leaves a lot of room for interpretation especially given the extremely small increase in our monthly bills we're talking about.

    I'm willing to bet Sprint argues, rightfully so IMHO, that $0.15 per line is not a material change and does not allow people to use the increase as an excuse to opt out of their contract.
    If they took that position they would not be noticing people. You are getting the notice specifically to tell you that you have a right to terminate without ETF under your contract.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post

    I'm willing to bet Sprint argues, rightfully so IMHO, that $0.15 per line is not a material change and does not allow people to use the increase as an excuse to opt out of their contract.
    Nope. Sprint will not argue that precisely because that argument has failed repeatedly in the past. That is why they have this notice provision now.

    Courts have consistently held that unilaterally changing the price term in a contract is a material change.
  11. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    If they took that position they would not be noticing people. You are getting the notice specifically to tell you that you have a right to terminate without ETF under your contract.
    I haven't received my notice yet but I'm glad I took another look at your link - they want to charge anyone with a spending limit another $4.99/month. That sure is material and will have me saying bye bye unless they waive it for me. That sucks, guess I'll be heading back to AT & Crap!
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I haven't received my notice yet but I'm glad I took another look at your link - they want to charge anyone with a spending limit another $4.99/month. That sure is material and will have me saying bye bye unless they waive it for me. That sucks, guess I'll be heading back to AT & Crap!
    Don't call until you get the notice, and then make sure you tell them part a) and part b) from the notice. You might want to wait until you pick out the AT&T phone you want. You have 30 days from the time you get the notice to exercise the option.
  13. #73  
    I am not canceling, they are good and cheap, but here for those interested
    Sprint ETF--Get out of your contract-new reg increases in Jan 2010 - Page 1 of 6
  14. #74  
    Hmmm... Makes me think I should at least take a look at the Droid on Verizon... Although I most likely won't jump ship, I at least owe it to myself... don't I?
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm simply WebOSFan there.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    That is, in fact, *exactly* what it means. Those are the terms of the contract. And guess what: Sprint wrote that contract. It's not "stealing" -- it is explicitly provided for and priced into the agreement. And it's not a "lie" -- the provision was triggered unilaterally by Sprint, customers do not have to explain "why" they are utilizing it.

    All of this moralizing over a provision that Sprint itself inserted into the contract and then consciously breached (knowing full well the consequences of that breach) is utterly preposterous.

    You guys are hilarious. Sprint doesn't engage in any similar moralizing when a customer breaches a term on their end, that's for damn sure.
    This is a very interesting discussion and I haven't made it all the way through yet. I had to put in my two cents for now.

    Just because it is not illegal, stealing, or a lie doesn't mean it is not unethical. Ethics and legality are two different things. pogeypetey mentioned it is ethically wrong to try and get a new phone out of this contract condition. It is exactly that. Just because it is not illegal doesn't mean it is ethical.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post

    Just because it is not illegal, stealing, or a lie doesn't mean it is not unethical. Ethics and legality are two different things. pogeypetey mentioned it is ethically wrong to try and get a new phone out of this contract condition. It is exactly that. Just because it is not illegal doesn't mean it is ethical.
    How so? In what conceivable sense is it unethical? Nobody has provided any reasons; I've only seen conclusory assertions.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    How so? In what conceivable sense is it unethical? Nobody has provided any reasons; I've only seen conclusory assertions.
    Well, since ethics is the discussion of morals, this can be debated ad naseum. Since everyone's morals are different, there is probably no agreed upon answer. Personally and professionally this situation would be unethical for me because of what I would be trying to get from the contract. To get out of my contract to turn around and sign up for another contract just to get a subsidized phone would be taking advantage of the situation. This is because the $0.15 increase to me is not enough to justify entitlement to a new subsidized phone. I understand the economy is in turmoil and costs have gone up. That being said, I will pay the extra $0.15 and not expect anything out of it.

    I wouldn't see as much of an issue for customers that seriously do not want to pay the increased $0.15 and want to get out of the contract because of that. Then I feel you fall within the lines of the contract. I don't remember seeing "wanting a new subsidized phone" as one of the items you can cancel your contract for. The reason must be specifically be because you do not want to pay the extra charge. Going right back to sprint, getting a new subsidized phone, and paying the charge in your new contract, doesn't seem to be morally correct to me since you obviously are okay with paying the new charge then.

    However, everyone's morals are different and I respect that. I still think it is unethical though just for the simple fact that the real reason of getting out of the contract is to get the subsidized phone.
  18. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #78  
    i will be taking advantage. sprint ended a roaming agreement on the chicago subway, where i spend the majority of my commute, now without voice or data. every other carrier has coverage there. i consider this a material change in the contract. if the pre isn't on vz on 1/1/10 then i will be going droid.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post

    I wouldn't see as much of an issue for customers that seriously do not want to pay the increased $0.15 and want to get out of the contract because of that. Then I feel you fall within the lines of the contract. I don't remember seeing "wanting a new subsidized phone" as one of the items you can cancel your contract for. The reason must be specifically be because you do not want to pay the extra charge. Going right back to sprint, getting a new subsidized phone, and paying the charge in your new contract, doesn't seem to be morally correct to me since you obviously are okay with paying the new charge then.

    However, everyone's morals are different and I respect that. I still think it is unethical though just for the simple fact that the real reason of getting out of the contract is to get the subsidized phone.
    I really don't understand this at all. You say "the reason must be specifically because you do not want to pay the extra charge." That is false. That is not what the contract says.

    The contract says "If Sprint does X, you are allowed to do Y." There are no reasons or conditions. Sprint saw fit to do something it thinks will be advantageous for itself, and so should consumers if they would like to. They are getting exactly what they bargained for, nothing more, nothing less.

    This talk of "entitlements" is amusing; consumers are entitled to a newly subsidized phone in this situation because Sprint's contract says that they are entitled to it because of Sprint's action.

    There is nothing deceptive or underhanded here whatsoever on the part of folks who do this sort of thing. They are simply doing exactly what Sprint has told them that they are allowed to do.

    I'm honestly shocked at some of these reactions here. . . .
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I haven't received my notice yet but I'm glad I took another look at your link - they want to charge anyone with a spending limit another $4.99/month. That sure is material and will have me saying bye bye unless they waive it for me. That sucks, guess I'll be heading back to AT & Crap!
    Account Spending Limit customers who sign up for autopay have the fee waived automatically. From what I've seen there are no individual waivers for accounts they are doing.

    ASL customers as a whole cost Sprint much more than other customers due to the number of calls into Care when they are hotlined after going over their spending limits or not paying their bill. It is a disproportionate number of ASL customers versus non-ASL customers.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions