Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    I have three lines that are unused that I pay an extra 9.99 a month for them to collect dust.
    Good ol' temp standby.
  2.    #42  
    I appreciate this info, but not to cancel contract A to open new contract B. I have three lines that are unused that I pay an extra 9.99 a month for them to collect dust.
    I may use this to cancel those phones.

But leave Sprint? NEVER! I also have a love affair with Sprint. I have been with them since 1998 and can count on one hand the few issues I have had with them.
    I wonder what the folks who think exercising this option is "unethical" think about you doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I wonder what the folks who think exercising this option is "unethical" think about you doing that.
    Depends. I had a third line that I didn't use, and I asked them straight up if they could cancel it. The did it no questions asked.

I don't think you need some crazy loophole to fix what is wrong. If I had three extra lines costing me 30 bucks a month, I would be for negotiating within my contract to see if we could do something there.

I am totally against the idea that a user drop sprint to con them into subsidizing a 400-500 dollar smartphone.

That's the problem with the world today. So many feel that they are due some such thing because of their very existance. This is why you have people who are otherwise able living off government programs; because they can and no one will call them on it.

Sprint is not running some government welfare program in the which you get a free/subsidized phone because you exist. Mooching off the system is unethical and is a slap in the face to those who play by the rules.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

4.    #44  
    I see, so gouging customers with SMS charges when they take up virtually no network capacity is treating customers fairly?

We would all be better off with no ETF's, complete customer mobility between carriers and ruthless competition driving prices down. Anything that allows consumers to get out of ETF's is a great thing.

And don't talk about free phones being cheaper - you pay either way. Sprint doesn't eat the cost of the phone - if everyone paid for their phone the monthly charges would be a lot lower, and we would have a lot more phone choices and no exclusivity. If people wanted an iPhone on Sprint they'd be able to get one.

So like I said, anything that undercuts ETF is great. The whole practice should be banned.
    I see, so gouging customers with SMS charges when they take up virtually no network capacity is treating customers fairly?

We would all be better off with no ETF's, complete customer mobility between carriers and ruthless competition driving prices down. Anything that allows consumers to get out of ETF's is a great thing.

And don't talk about free phones being cheaper - you pay either way. Sprint doesn't eat the cost of the phone - if everyone paid for their phone the monthly charges would be a lot lower, and we would have a lot more phone choices and no exclusivity. If people wanted an iPhone on Sprint they'd be able to get one.

So like I said, anything that undercuts ETF is great. The whole practice should be banned.
    ... so I have unlimited text on my plan... Sprint is gouging me how?

Sprint subsidizes the phone upfront and makes it back on service charges later. If you cut out on your contract early, they do not make that back.

If you want a world where phones are 500.00 with no subsidy, buy an unlocked phone and get service.

ETF are basically a deterant, like mosquito repelant. Every once in a while you get a crazy mosquito with a cold that bites you anyway, but otherwise it works. ETF keep customers from leaving, and like it or not it, that's the way it works now.

If you want to campaign against the ETF, I will join you, but do not expect me to think it's cool to bypass them to sock it to the man.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I personally have no problem with contracts, they can benefit the consumer too.

For years I had a free and clear plan that kept getting grandfathered because I renewed the contract before it expired. At one point I had 9 lines on one account and I had NO, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH "add a phone" costs. That was on a 100.00 plan. Of course we did have to pay for our data, but that plan was still a deal (steal if you ask me).

I even had the store reps ask me how I got such a sweet deal and I told them it was grandfathered from years back.

I could have stayed that way foever if I didnt want to switch to the pre and move to the everything data plan.

So, in that case, the contract protected me ( IMO ).
    Still the same. After my divorce i kept her phone since she would not pay for it. I then spoke with a sprint rep and said they would cancel it and keep me as a customer than to lose me all together. So I switched the line to a wireless card. Oh and with no contract at that.

I know certain things happen where you end up with extra phones. And sprint understands that.
    just talked to sprint and they had a meeting 4 days ago and mid january they are gunna offer something great, pay as u go data card, you buy it and turn it on and what you use you pay for, what a concept. it will push heavy user into contracts, and light users will be happy because we have unlimited data on the webkit based phones but that 1 stupid thing "i gotta download it to my laptop but their is no wifi situations" the guy couldnt tell me what the monthly service on it will be but he said prollly just 9.99 like an extra line, and if you use it you pay, but you will have a small alloted for that like 500mb or something, either way time will tell, im stokked
    Thread has un_officialy went way off track.

Each person will do as they want we were all brought up with different values and opinions. Case closed.

Sprint decided to go after ...what is it .15? And they know darn well it will let people "escape" I might just to go to Cricket. I will try the water before I go in the deep end. ( I will try cricket before/if I jump ship)
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    No, Sprint lets you get out of your contract if the new terms do not suit you. That is protecting the consumer, and I am all for it.

Some here are advocating leaving Sprint just to get a new phone. That is wrong, and no matter how you try to spin it, it will always be wrong.

I wasn't defending Sprint in this either, however, Sprint has the moral high ground on this one. They change their fees and you can leave without a hastle. That's a good company policy, and if you hate Sprint and want to see them fail, go ahead and cancel and then sign up to take them for the two hundred dollars in subsidies. Just don't have any illusions that you are doing the right thing.
    Sorry, but everything in this post is either inaccurate or seriously misguided.

To begin with, this is not a feature that Sprint has willingly provided to customers. Every major carrier now has a similar provision because they have been repeatedly defeated by consumer advocates in court over precisely these "regulatory fee" shenanigans. So if you think Sprint is offering this 30-day out because they are being consumer-friendly, think again.

Second, the provision allows you to get out of your contract period. There is no "if the new terms don't suit you" clause. It is absolute. Sprint knows this. Sprint decided to unilaterally raise a material price term in the contract anyway.

Third, for those of you saying this is "unethical" or "immoral": by the same logic, Sprint is even more "unethical" or "immoral" because it choose to unilaterally breach your agreed-upon contract in the first place. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, because contracts are not "moral" agreements, they are economic ones. But for those of you who think that morality somehow places into this, there is no conceivable way whatsoever that Sprint has the "moral high ground" here.

Seriously, some of you guys are a corporation's wet dream. Here is the scenario: a corporation has decided to exploit a provision in the contract that allows it to unilaterally raise the customer's price. Sprint did this knowing full well that exercising that option would allow people to get out of the contract if they so desired. And so even though the corporate contracting party saw fit to act in its best interest and exercise the price increase clause, some of you would apparently refuse to exercise the very same right that the contract provides in your benefit because you've convinced yourself that it is somehow "immoral" to do so. That is incredible; the psychology of that is fascinating but way beyond the scope of this thread. Sheep, shepherd.

Finally, if your real concern is that this will somehow damage Sprint financially, rest assured that won't happen. Sprint has very sophisticated actuarial analysis addressing this sort of thing. In short, they will make money because they have (correctly) estimated that the vast, vast majority of consumers will not opt out of their contracts. Instead, they'll just eat the incremental increase and Sprint will reap in another free few million in revenue. Incidentally, this is the very same logic that leads businesses to offer large rebates: you can predict with actuarial certainty that a large percentage of people will never send in the rebate in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    That's the problem with the world today. So many feel that they are due some such thing because of their very existance. This is why you have people who are otherwise able living off government programs; because they can and no one will call them on it.

Sprint is not running some government welfare program in the which you get a free/subsidized phone because you exist. Mooching off the system is unethical and is a slap in the face to those who play by the rules.
    Unbelievable. Sprint customers under contract are entitled to this clause because that is what the contract provides. In what twisted reality is this some kind of welfare mechanism? This is playing by the rules.

I mean . . . just, wow.
    what's going on with sprints 4g network? Mabey this has something to do with "change" in feees..?
    you can predict with actuarial certainty that a large percentage of people will never send in the rebate in the first place

hes right. I didnt on my first three phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Unbelievable. Sprint customers under contract are entitled to this clause because that is what the contract provides. In what twisted reality is this some kind of welfare mechanism? This is playing by the rules.

I mean . . . just, wow.
    Don't know what you got till it's gone ! Cinderella

I can't believe how people want to screw system these days I guess that explains why America is going in the wrong direction. Everyone wants to squeeze what they can out of the system... What happens when the system is broke? Why is everyone so dishonest and mean to a company that provides a service at a better price than its competition?
    I appreciate this info, but not to cancel contract A to open new contract B. I have three lines that are unused that I pay an extra 9.99 a month for them to collect dust.
    I may use this to cancel those phones.

But leave Sprint? NEVER! I also have a love affair with Sprint. I have been with them since 1998 and can count on one hand the few issues I have had with them.
    This is almost exactly my situation...I have two lines on a family share plan that I do not use (sprint retentions had me open them so I wouldn't get hit with an ETF on a couple of data cards). I would like to shut those two lines down, and go back to a one person plan.

But I love Sprint and would never leave them...they have been amazingly good to me for eight years, and have had fabulous coverage everywhere I have lived or traveled in that time.

Pogeypetey, do you think this use of the "get out of jail card" is ethical? (Serious question...no sarcasm intended or implied).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    One of the things I like about being a Sprint Premiere customer is being able to upgrade my phone every year. So I only have to wait until June to get a new one, and by then there will probably be a newer webOS device I will want.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post

I mean . . . just, wow.
    We have a lot of Sprint affiliates and employees on this forum...
    One of the things I like about being a Sprint Premiere customer is being able to upgrade my phone every year. So I only have to wait until June to get a new one, and by then there will probably be a newer webOS device I will want.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sprint doesn't require contracts. Call them up, let them know you don't want to sign a contract, and offer to buy a phone at full price. They'll sign you up.

On the other hand, if you want them pay $200-$300 of the price of your phone, they're going to expect a committment.
    +1

I'm not likely to need to switch carriers in less than two years time anyway. I'd gladly sign a relatively short contract for a $200-$300 subsidy on my phone.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast