Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223 LastLast
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You can use Meta Doctor to modify a standard Sprint WebOS Doctor to either bypass activation or enable wifi during the First Use app(Palm Profile login). I'm assuming that you can sign into a profile over wifi. I haven't tried it yet since I've had no reason to use the Doctor. If you login to a profile, you will be able to purshase apps and download/install OTA updates for WebOS. Hopefully someone who has tried enabling wifi during First Use will chime in here and let us know what's possible and what isn't.
    I can't even get the phone to stay off. If I hit the "Turn Off" button it simply reboots and comes back to the activation screen. The phone then runs out the battery and then dies, until it gets a recharge and then the cycle repeats. I can't even access the thing through USB. I'm not sure how I would do anything with this phone until it is activated through network provider.

I have to admit that I am just a little bit upset that Palm would put users in this kid of situation.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I just got my $20 off a month for 24 months on top of my home depot discount...sweet deal
    As I have done during the past couple of years, I handled all of this via email to Sprint's ecare. (before using email, I never ever got a correct bill immediately after making a change duing my 7 years with Sprint - email allowed me the back up)

I stated that I understood it was my right to cxl my contract yadayadayada.

3 business days later, the rep indicated that he had waived the ETF and that I had to port to VZ by my next billing date.

That gave me 5 bus days to get it done. I thought that would be a problem but, assuming you set it all up with VZ, the actual porting was instataneous when my new phone was activated.

So now I have an email to back me up just in case they hit me with the ETF.

FYI: Reason for changing:
    1. Travel extensively to the panhandle of Flaroida and the coverage is spotted. (VZ is great)
    2. Needed a device that would sync directly with Outlook, including tasks, notes, calendar and contacts. (none of this cloud stuff)
    3. Needed a full screen and no physical keyboard(eyes are getting bad)

So after being a Palm/Handspring customer since 1996, I went with a BlackBerry Storm2

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  4.    #424  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    As I have done during the past couple of years, I handled all of this via email to Sprint's ecare. (before using email, I never ever got a correct bill immediately after making a change duing my 7 years with Sprint - email allowed me the back up)

3 business days later, the rep indicated that he had waived the ETF and that I had to port to VZ by my next billing date.

That gave me 5 bus days to get it done. I thought that would be a problem but, assuming you set it all up with VZ, the actual porting was instataneous when my new phone was activated.

1. Travel extensively to the panhandle of Flaroida and the coverage is spotted. (VZ is great)
    2. Needed a device that would sync directly with Outlook, including tasks, notes, calendar and contacts. (none of this cloud stuff)

So after being a Palm/Handspring customer since 1996, I went with a BlackBerry Storm2

Good Luck
    Good luck with your BB...

From all the posts in this and other threads on the deal forums, it seems a ton of people are leaving Spring thanks to this contract change. I am puzzled as to why Sprint, with all their churn problems would implement such a change and risk losing all these subs...

It'll be interesting to see their next quarter results...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Good luck with your BB...

From all the posts in this and other threads on the deal forums, it seems a ton of people are leaving Spring thanks to this contract change. I am puzzled as to why Sprint, with all their churn problems would implement such a change and risk losing all these subs...

It'll be interesting to see their next quarter results...
    I think that these and other forums represent a very small percentage of the folks who are eligible for a ETF adjustment. I would think that the majority of people who are taking advantage of this are people like me who were going to leave regardless. Sprint's contract change just made my port a lot cheaper.

For most people Sprint still has the cheapest plans.
  6.    #426  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I think that these and other forums represent a very small percentage of the folks who are eligible for a ETF adjustment. I would think that the majority of people who are taking advantage of this are people like me who were going to leave regardless. Sprint's contract change just made my port a lot cheaper.

For most people Sprint still has the cheapest plans.
    I'm talking about the huge threads on slickdeals and fatwallet. These forums have huge followings...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I'm talking about the huge threads on slickdeals and fatwallet. These forums have huge followings...
    OK. I see. That could be ugly for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    just called twice. 1-866-235-1185
    Stated - "Reg Fees change were a materially unadvised change to my contract - A breach in contract that I did not sign up for. Please wave my ETF Fees.......ect"

Worked like a charm.

So, first time they were happy to let me go, and offered to let me leave w/ waived ETF right away. no luck on Month to Month.
    Second try. Offered to waive ETF right away again if I leave. No luck on Month to month, but got an extra $10 dollar discount ontop of corporate discount b/c I was a good standing customer since '03 w/ good payment history. my bill is like 60 bucks/month already so thought that was pretty good.

Still going to try to see if I can get the ETF waived later.

Please note, the first call, they said that I had 30 days from the January Bill date to figure out what I want to do.

To be honest, thats what I'd really like to happen. I'd like to eventually switch to Verizon if they get the 3Gs. (or stay w/ sprint if they get it too) Def do not want AT&T.

or maybe I'll stay w/ this plan and overload the Tether until I get booted when the time comes.

Update!

got ETF waived...holla
    Last edited by nate14ri; 02/11/2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
    just called twice.
    Stated - "Reg Fees change were a materially unadvised change to my contract - A breach in contract that I did not sign up for. Please wave my ETF Fees.......ect"

Worked like a charm.

So, first time they were happy to let me go, and offered to let me leave w/ waived ETF right away. no luck on Month to Month.
    Second try. Offered to waive ETF right away again if I leave. No luck on Month to month, but got an extra $10 dollar discount ontop of corporate discount b/c I was a good standing customer since '03 w/ good payment history. my bill is like 60 bucks/month already so thought that was pretty good.

Still going to try to see if I can get the ETF waived later.

Please note, the first call, they said that I had 30 days from the January Bill date to figure out what I want to do.

To be honest, thats what I'd really like to happen. I'd like to eventually switch to Verizon if they get the 3Gs. (or stay w/ sprint if they get it too) Def do not want AT&T.

or maybe I'll stay w/ this plan and overload the Tether until I get booted when the time comes.
    Be careful with the time frame. I've heard you have 30 days from the day that the new change went into effect.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Called and got the $20/24 month deal and I also have a 25% work discount so it worked out nice. 3 line 1500 min family data plan down to 100 bucks =). I kept trying for the month to month no one would do it and most likely I would stay with them anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post

Good Luck
    Well got my final bill from Sprint. An as expected (this is why I use email with them) the $200 ETF was there.

Of course I fired off an email to the to individual who waived it.

Will update.

So even when you have it in writing, they screw up.
    So now I have to spend time sorting this out.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    it's 60 days!!

I have until March 1 to make up my mind if i want to switch to Verizon...

Wasnt able to get any offers some of you had...
    Well here's a 99% clear answer . You can use the Pre as a wifi device. I've been doing this since October and have installed two OTA update so far. I've also bought and installed NFS. The Pre can do everything except make phone calls and use Sprint TV.

Oh noes, did you mess up your Pre to the point that you need WebOS Doctor? Meta Doctor can modify a WebOS Doctor to bypass the activation screen

Now for the 1% I'm not sure of. After bypassing activation, I don't know how to sign into a Palm profile. I haven't had to Doctor my phone yet, so I'm a bit unsure about this. I know that you can use Meta Doctor to enable wifi use during the First Use app so I'm assuming you can sign into your Palm Profile that way. I won't know for sure until I actually have to try it though.

Also, I believe you can send sms through Google Voice. If not, AIM works pretty well for sending and receiving text messages.

One last piece of info. Using Airplane Mode with wifi on means amazing battery life
    Did you create a new profile on the Verizon Pre? Based on what you wrote, it seems that you have logged in to a single Palm Profile on both the Verizon and the Sprint Pre is that correct? is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Did you create a new profile on the Verizon Pre? Based on what you wrote, it seems that you have logged in to a single Palm Profile on both the Verizon and the Sprint Pre is that correct? is that correct?
    No, that is not correct. I have been using my Sprint Pre as a wifi device since November.
    No, that is not correct. I have been using my Sprint Pre as a wifi device since November.
    so its a new palm profile that you are logged into?
    I cancelled my Sprint contract and moved to Verizon (wife wanted a Pixi Plus, not Pixi, and consolidating was cheaper than having her on ATT and me on Sprint).

When you sign into a new Palm profile, the old one is deactivated. If you still have the ability to get into Linux (ssh, WOQI, whatever) you can get stuff off of it, but otherwise it really tries to delete all your old apps. The new phone (with the old profile) downloads all the non-homebrew apps you had, as well as whatever else was backed up. (Pleasantly, it even keeps the re-ordering of your apps, changes to the launcher bar, and so on!).

I used the most excellent Meta Doctor to re-create my old Sprint Pre without all the activation and so forth. If you run the firstuse app, you can create a new Palm profile and use it as a WiFi-only device (like an iPod touch).

Rob
    Just stumbled onto this thread today and called sprint to see if I could get out of the contract on one of my phones. I had a treo 800w and hated it, I could not get them to change phones so I added a line and got a pre. There was absolutely no hassle, they closed out the one line with no early cancellation fee. Thanks for the tip.
    Good info to know whilst I'm tring to get my pre replaced. Definitely has gotten to the point, I'm ready to leave Sprint, if I don't have a working phone by tomorrow a.m.!
    Last edited by Master Brian; 02/17/2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Got my final bill from Sprint and sure enough the ETF was there for $150.

Called Sprint and they said it shouldn't have been there and took the ETF off again. They said I should get another final bill and the ETF should be at $0.

Lets hope so.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Also since I don't have a Sprint account anymore....my Pre does not work at all.

It would not let me get pass the 'sign into your palm profile' screen. And when I do sign in, my logins would not work and that I have to contact Sprint to set up one. So the phone is pretty much useless.

But it good and don't care anymore. The Pre is on ebay now.