Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Switch to Verizon or AT&T and pay twice as much for the plan I have now? Also, Verizon changed their policy, it now cost $350 (double the $175 now for smartphones) to buy out of their contracts. Good chance for all of the whiners to leave, that's a plus.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I just called Sprint about this and they stated " As a premier customer, we value your business and will put you on the exempt list for this charge. A follow up call or e-mail will confirm this in the next couple of days. "
    So i am guessing my account is somehow flagged for a follow up when this takes affect on my billing cycle. But i don't trust them,I will call them again.
    I am happy with sprint but if I can be exempt from this charge, all the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Except for what you are advocating might just cripple Sprint to the point of failure. Consumers would lose a choice and as such would end up paying more.

If you are unhappy with the change to .40 cents (which I think is silly, but it might not to some), then it would be ok to hold them to their contract. That being said, if you are only using this change to get out of your Pre and sign up to get another subsidized phone, then you are ethically wrong.
    This line of thinking is incredible to me. "Ethically wrong" -- on what grounds? In this case, you're getting the benefit of your bargain with Sprint. Sprint has a very, very easy way to avoid this: simply don't make material changes to the T&C with its users, especially under the false guise of "regulatory fees," which are anything but.
    They won't put you on month to month, if you want to leave Sprint then leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    This line of thinking is incredible to me. "Ethically wrong" -- on what grounds? In this case, you're getting the benefit of your bargain with Sprint. Sprint has a very, very easy way to avoid this: simply don't make material changes to the T&C with its users, especially under the false guise of "regulatory fees," which are anything but.
    So Sprint soaks you for .40 cents instead of .25 or whatever it was, and this entitles you to escape your contract only to sign up at Sprints expense to get a new phone?

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Sure, Sprint "breached" its own contract by increasing fees, and that entitles you to leave. I am ok with that. You want to leave because of an increased fee, go ahead.

However, leaving and then coming back simply to essentially steal from Sprint is rediculous. That makes your point about leaving due to a fee in essence a lie, and that is wrong, unless you are politician...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I have no beef with Sprint that switching will fix. Sprint and I have had our ups and downs, but over all we have a good relationship... No divorce for me!! I love Sprint...that's my (love) story and i'm stickin to it.
    So Sprint soaks you for .40 cents instead of .25 or whatever it was, and this entitles you to escape your contract only to sign up at Sprints expense to get a new phone?
    That is, in fact, *exactly* what it means. Those are the terms of the contract. And guess what: Sprint wrote that contract. It's not "stealing" -- it is explicitly provided for and priced into the agreement. And it's not a "lie" -- the provision was triggered unilaterally by Sprint, customers do not have to explain "why" they are utilizing it.

All of this moralizing over a provision that Sprint itself inserted into the contract and then consciously breached (knowing full well the consequences of that breach) is utterly preposterous.

You guys are hilarious. Sprint doesn't engage in any similar moralizing when a customer breaches a term on their end, that's for damn sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    I just called Sprint about this and they stated " As a premier customer, we value your business and will put you on the exempt list for this charge. A follow up call or e-mail will confirm this in the next couple of days. "
    So i am guessing my account is somehow flagged for a follow up when this takes affect on my billing cycle. But i don't trust them,I will call them again.
    Let us know how it works out. I might just do the same.
    Except for what you are advocating might just cripple Sprint to the point of failure. Consumers would lose a choice and as such would end up paying more.

If you are unhappy with the change to .40 cents (which I think is silly, but it might not to some), then it would be ok to hold them to their contract. That being said, if you are only using this change to get out of your Pre and sign up to get another subsidized phone, then you are ethically wrong.
    Not only that, but when folks come on to a forum like this with information that is basically encouraging users to "stick it to the man" (which is essentially what this thread is turning into), then it becomes there is that much more incentive for the provider in question to use the forum as a resource.

If folks have a legitimate reason, this might be a useful tool. Encouraging others to sign up now, on the hopes that they may be able to weasel out of the contract in a month may be legally OK, but ethically it stinks to high heaven.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I hope everyone that gets out of their contract for this sorry excuse gets their SS# flagged in the system, so when they attempt to get service with sprint again they get hit with a $500 deposit to activate service.
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    That is, in fact, *exactly* what it means. Those are the terms of the contract. And guess what: Sprint wrote that contract. It's not "stealing" -- it is explicitly provided for and priced into the agreement. And it's not a "lie" -- the provision was triggered unilaterally by Sprint, customers do not have to explain "why" they are utilizing it.

All of this moralizing over a provision that Sprint itself inserted into the contract and then consciously breached (knowing full well the consequences of that breach) is utterly preposterous.

You guys are hilarious. Sprint doesn't engage in any similar moralizing when a customer breaches a term on their end, that's for damn sure.
    No, Sprint lets you get out of your contract if the new terms do not suit you. That is protecting the consumer, and I am all for it.

Some here are advocating leaving Sprint just to get a new phone. That is wrong, and no matter how you try to spin it, it will always be wrong.

I wasn't defending Sprint in this either, however, Sprint has the moral high ground on this one. They change their fees and you can leave without a hastle. That's a good company policy, and if you hate Sprint and want to see them fail, go ahead and cancel and then sign up to take them for the two hundred dollars in subsidies. Just don't have any illusions that you are doing the right thing.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I've been with Sprint since 1998. I believe I will stay. Who's has the best plans? Sprint! I think they (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, etc) should just get rid of contracts. That's what sucks.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hiero4life View Post
    They won't put you on month to month, if you want to leave Sprint then leave.
    People in other forums have reported success doing just that. What is the factual basis for your statement?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    Sure, I would love to switch to AT&T or Verizon and pay an extra $110 a month for all the services I get on Sprint included in my plan. That would be super!

Don't give me the Verizon has better coverage argument either, it's played out.
    Since your sig says you are a Sprint retail consultant, I understand why you are making that statement. But literally a 100 million people disagree. VZ sold 1 Million + droid phones in less than a month. Palm would love to have that kind of result. The problem wasnt the Pre, it was Sprint.

Sprint is a 2nd tier carrier. You might not like that, but Droid sales show the clout VZ has.

And if people want to stay with Sprint, getting out of contract is a big win and gives you lots of leverage in getting the Son of pre in 6-9 months as inexpensive upgrade ...
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    They won't give you the option to terminate until the notice comes out next month. No point in calling until that happens. I am sure they will offer you at least knocking the charge off later if not a deal to keep you as a customer - maybe even trading for a new phone that doesn't wobble as much.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

My first instinct is to agree with you that this is immoral. But the more I think about it, the more I disagree. When was the last time Sprint (or any business for that matter) allowed you out of something in the contract that is in their favor? If you have 1 day left, they will charge you an ETF. They will do whatever they can to get money out of us. I think it is fair for us to save money wherever we can.
    Im sure sprint has thought out what would happen if they chose to change the contract. How many customers they would lose or what ever. But I do agree it is immoral to get out of your contract to go month to month or to get a new phone. I love sprint. Being a truck driver I depend on my phone. And no other service provider has given me such reliable service. Att is touch and go in many places. I havent had verizon. Sprint is the only company that can give me service in many mountain ranges i go through and in deserts. Dont know how they do it. But its worth the extra few pennies.
    This is very interesting.

Anyone considering porting their service to AT&T, just keep in mind the fact that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Yes, you will essentially have access to limitless phones........now that you are a sim card toting customer. However, keep in mind the significantly higher recurring costs for the same service that Sprint offers (on average I was paying $50+ per month/line for the same services I presently have with Sprint), and the horrible 3g service on their network. I speak from experience as I recently just ported my business account to Sprint, from AT&T-after being with them for several years (ported from Tmobile to AT&T), and it's night and day in regards to cost, the frequency of dropped calls, and mediocre (at best) data service provided by AT&T. Keep in mind this was consistent in my business travels throughout the CONUS.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I appreciate this info, but not to cancel contract A to open new contract B. I have three lines that are unused that I pay an extra 9.99 a month for them to collect dust.
    I may use this to cancel those phones.

But leave Sprint? NEVER! I also have a love affair with Sprint. I have been with them since 1998 and can count on one hand the few issues I have had with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by debsawyer View Post
    I've been with Sprint since 1998. I believe I will stay. Who's has the best plans? Sprint! I think they (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, etc) should just get rid of contracts. That's what sucks.
    Sprint doesn't require contracts. Call them up, let them know you don't want to sign a contract, and offer to buy a phone at full price. They'll sign you up.

On the other hand, if you want them pay $200-$300 of the price of your phone, they're going to expect a committment.
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast