Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    If you want to stay with Sprint, call up and try and cancel the contract, and they will likely give you a $20 off per month for 24 months discount to reimpose the contract.

There are major threads here on fatwallet and slickdeals about this. See here: Sprint ETF--Get out of your contract-new reg increases in Jan 2010 and New Regulatory Fee Increase=GET OUT OF YOUR SPRINT CONTRACT FOR FREE, NO ETF! - SlickDeals.net Forums .

Judging from all the posts, tons of people are heading for the door.
    +1 for the $20/month discount. I called a few days ago just to see what they would do to keep me around, since I was considering jumping ship for the Nexus One. The rep offered me that deal, which was more than enough to keep me with Sprint. After reading reviews that the Nexus One isn't that special after all, I'm pretty happy. I'm getting an amazing deal on 2 lines, and hoping that Sprint will get a version of the Nexus One/Passion/Bravo/ whatever you want to call it in the next few months to upgrade my wife's line to.

To those who are wondering, though, the rep told me that the deal they were offering with $20/month off expired last year, so they won't offer it any more.
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    +1 for the $20/month discount. I called a few days ago just to see what they would do to keep me around, since I was considering jumping ship for the Nexus One. The rep offered me that deal, which was more than enough to keep me with Sprint. After reading reviews that the Nexus One isn't that special after all, I'm pretty happy. I'm getting an amazing deal on 2 lines, and hoping that Sprint will get a version of the Nexus One/Passion/Bravo/ whatever you want to call it in the next few months to upgrade my wife's line to.

To those who are wondering, though, the rep told me that the deal they were offering with $20/month off expired last year, so they won't offer it any more.
    Many people report getting the $20 off discount today, so if you actually want to stay with Sprint long term, use contract change to snag the $20 discount.

Everyone gets something from this contract change.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Hah! That's really funny. If you think Sprint 3G coverage is poor, just wait till you see Clearwire's 4G coverage. And at 2.5 GHz, building penetration is awful. There are tons of reports from places in the southwest where coverage goes from 5 bars to less than 1 bar when they close a tinted windows.

Heck Sprint doesn't even provide the 4G network themselves - it's part of their JV with Clearwire. And it uses wimax, a technology that only clearwire is basically using - everyone else is going to LTE.

Stop believing all the marketing nonsense about 4G.
    Then you stop believing all of the anti-WiMax FUD.

Clearwire has already said that should the market change and LTE ends up being a better alternative overall the entire network can be changed over with a software update. The underlying technogoly behind LTE and WiMax are actually very very close. It is nothing like CDMA vs. GSM. Device hardware may be a different story, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Just got out of my 2 lines, I don't plan on leaving more of a just in case. And I turned down 10.00 off a month to be fair. I have the old sero and new sero plan. I had to get a supervisor on the line. They first told me I can'e after interrupting me 2x I yelled ( which i am sorry) told him the convo is over called to talk to another rep who told me I was month to month. "0" months on current contract.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    How about for those activating a new line? Can i do something to be month to month?
    My mom is unhappy with Sprint and wants to switch back to T-mobile, but her contract goes thru September 2010. (She does not use text of data, just phone).

What does she need to do to get out of her contract in January? I'm trying to help her out with the info since she has been in the hospital for a few weeks now...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Jeff, I would read through the thread for more information as well as the two links posted in Mike's quote at the top of this page. That should give you everything you need to know in order to get out of your contract.

To sum up though, Sprint is increasing their regulatory charge by $0.20 per line. However, in Sprint's Terms & Conditions, it is stated that any new materially adverse charge (which this would qualify as) imposed on a customer in the middle of a contract allows the customer to cancel their contract within 30 days of the new charge without having to pay an Early Termination Fee.

So basically, you or your mom need to call Sprint and cite the new charge and the clause in the T&C that allows you to cancel. You'll be met with some resistance, but keep trying and calling back to new reps, and eventually they'll relent and let her out of the contract.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    So I was looking to go over to verizon to get a Driod.......and try and get out of my contract due to the regulatory charges changing.....

They were right about let me out of my contract and they sucked me back in....!!!!!

Sprint Rep says,

" We can give you a $20 discount on your monthly charges and an additional $3 per additional line/month (and I have five lines total) "

....how could I say no to that? That is good for two years...!!!! That saves me $32/month or $768 over the two years......Sweet....

Now I can buy my wife a new phone on upgrade......
    does the new charge already have to be on ur bill to use this?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Technically ...yes....y bill will not come out until the 23 but they didnt fight the issue with me...
    Is this going on now?
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0lph1nK1ng View Post
    does the new charge already have to be on ur bill to use this?
    No, it doesn't, and don't believe them if they try to tell you otherwise. If they start feeding you that line, don't even bother arguing with them. Just say thanks for your time and that you'll call back after it shows up on your bill. Then, immediately cal back and get a new rep. If they say the same thing, rinse and repeat.

They big key to all of this is getting the right CSR. You can tell almost immediately whether or not they're going to help you. If they start giving you excuses about why they can't do it or why you aren't eligible to cancel yet, just hang up and try again with someone else. I went through this process today, and after a couple of reps who fed me excuses, I finally got a got a guy that worked. He asked my why I wanted to leave, I told him I didn't agree with the fee increase, and he said he'd put me on month-to-month. Took about five minutes, and five minutes later the new contract fulfillment date showed up on my online account.

This process is really easy as pie as long as you don't waste your time with reps who aren't going to help you. Don't try to argue, just keep calling back and eventually you'll get the right CSR who will oblige.

Finally, no more contract for me. I'm free as a bird!
    that is really funny since every time you call the conversation is logged...I guess they can see you won't give up if you keep trying
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    For those who are now month-to-month, you still have to pay the $0.40 cents a month for the regulatory fee, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    For those who are now month-to-month, you still have to pay the $0.40 cents a month for the regulatory fee, right?
    Yes, but for me personally, the freedom of not being locked into a contract is well worth the extra $0.20 a line. I have no plans of leaving Sprint, but it's great to know the option is there now if I want or need to.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    The key is to speak to an "account services" rep... No one else. You may have to talk to the initial rep and get transferred to an account services rep.. The first rep will try and talk you out of it and say its like if your property taxes were raised.....or somehting to that extent....Just say that you are pretty sure that you can get out of your contract and request to be transferred to account services rep.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    The key is to speak to an "account services" rep... No one else. You may have to talk to the initial rep and get transferred to an account services rep.. The first rep will try and talk you out of it and say its like if your property taxes were raised.....or somehting to that extent....Just say that you are pretty sure that you can get out of your contract and request to be transferred to account services rep.
    I just spoke with an account services rep and she even spoke with a team lead and wouldn't let me out of my contract. She kept telling me how Sprint is being honest with their customers and all the other carriers charge higher fees, but don't tell you, it's only $0.40, etc.

I only have the "port to another carrier card without ETF" card, but I really want the "No contract, month-to-month" card. Will keep trying...
    Last edited by Tikerz; 01/05/2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dookie View Post
    To sum up though, Sprint is increasing their regulatory charge by $0.20 per line. However, in Sprint's Terms & Conditions, it is stated that any new materially adverse charge (which this would qualify as) imposed on a customer in the middle of a contract allows the customer to cancel their contract within 30 days of the new charge without having to pay an Early Termination Fee.
    Where would this charge increase be mentioned? In a recent statement?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    The OP, the first few pages, a blog post on the main page last month, and the sprint support forum.

Read here:
    Sprint & PhoneNews.com Team Up To Help ETF Out Go Smoothly | PhoneNews.com

An update:
    Brief Sprint ETF Out Update | PhoneNews.com

I couldn't get out of my contract becuase it "only applies to consumer accounts"
    Supposedly I have a corporate discount making it a corporate account
    Did anyone else run into that?
    Last edited by grynv; 01/06/2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Yes, I printed out my latest bill from my Sprint account and it was on page 2 on the upper left hand side in a box titled "Sprint News and Notices". Then in the detailed billing section under "Surcharges", it's showing $0.40 for "Regulatory Charge".

Effective 1/1/10, the Regulatory Charge will increase to $0.40/line. Visit Sprint Ts&Cs or sprint.com/taxesandfees for details; also effective 1/1/10, the Sprint Terms & Conditions (Ts&Cs) are changing. Please review them carefully at sprint.com or on request.