Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brain26 View Post
    I called this morning and was very nice to customer service, they allowed me to cancel my contract (2 Pre's) without an ETF. My numbers have already been ported over and the process went very smoothly.
    what did you say in order to cancel? are you able to transfer your phone numbers to another service? do u have to have the other service first?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0lph1nK1ng View Post
    what did you say in order to cancel? are you able to transfer your phone numbers to another service? do u have to have the other service first?
    I just told them that i wanted to cancel the contract due to the change of terms that went into effect today on my contract. They offered me a $10.00 per month credit but in my situation, it was better for me to cancel the contract. The rep then set my numbers up to be ported by the new carrier. I hung the phone up and called my new carrier and told them that I wanted my numbers ported. They asked me for my account number and password for Sprint. 5 minutes later, my numbers were successfully ported and my Sprint contract was then verified as canceled with no ETF.
    Quote Originally Posted by brain26 View Post
    I just told them that i wanted to cancel the contract due to the change of terms that went into effect today on my contract. They offered me a $10.00 per month credit but in my situation, it was better for me to cancel the contract. The rep then set my numbers up to be ported by the new carrier. I hung the phone up and called my new carrier and told them that I wanted my numbers ported. They asked me for my account number and password for Sprint. 5 minutes later, my numbers were successfully ported and my Sprint contract was then verified as canceled with no ETF.
    So it looks like you signed up with the other carrier first and told them you were gonna port the number over.
    Then you called Sprint to cxl and told them to set it up for porting.
    Then you called back the new carrier and tell them to proceed.
    Is this the right sequence?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    So it looks like you signed up with the other carrier first and told them you were gonna port the number over.
    Then you called Sprint to cxl and told them to set it up for porting.
    Then you called back the new carrier and tell them to proceed.
    Is this the right sequence?
    TIA
    You can skip the first step. The main part is when you cancel the contract, tell them you are looking at porting out. Otherwise they will just set the line to be cancelled, not cancelled awaiting a port out.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    You can skip the first step. The main part is when you cancel the contract, tell them you are looking at porting out. Otherwise they will just set the line to be cancelled, not cancelled awaiting a port out.
    Tks for the quick reply halcyoncmdr.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I think I'm going to be taking advantage of this.. shame, I really like Sprint, but I'm just not interested in getting a replacement Pre (touch screen died - I see way too many threads about people need X-many replacements) since it likely won't be the last I'll get.

Probably going to T-Mobile for Nexus 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    I think I'm going to be taking advantage of this.. shame, I really like Sprint, but I'm just not interested in getting a replacement Pre (touch screen died - I see way too many threads about people need X-many replacements) since it likely won't be the last I'll get.

Probably going to T-Mobile for Nexus 1.
    Not everyone has had a replacement Pre. And even then out of those who have had replacements, how many really needed a replacement? How many were getting them replaced because of hte "oreo" effect that I've only seen a couple times in my store compared to the many Pres we have sold? An internet forum is always going to have more bad threads than good threads. People complain more loudly than they praise becuse those that are fine have nothing to complain about and are happy to go about their lives. I am on my first Pre and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever, there is a slight twist in the screen, but it is normal for a slider to have some twist, especially a portrait slider.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    The reason I canceled was that I am moving to the UK and wanted to have a phone that worked here and worked there. I know I could have purchased a GSM version of the Pre once I arrived in the UK but I decided to opt out of my contract with Sprint. No hard feelings to the Pre and if I had to go back to it, I would be happy to do so.

I do believe the process went so smooth because I was up front and honest about porting the number over. While on the phone with the new carrier, the phones took less than 5 minutes to be ported. This is the first time I ever ported a number over and less than 5 minutes is impressive in my opinion.
  9.    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Not everyone has had a replacement Pre. And even then out of those who have had replacements, how many really needed a replacement? How many were getting them replaced because of hte "oreo" effect that I've only seen a couple times in my store compared to the many Pres we have sold? An internet forum is always going to have more bad threads than good threads. People complain more loudly than they praise becuse those that are fine have nothing to complain about and are happy to go about their lives. I am on my first Pre and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever, there is a slight twist in the screen, but it is normal for a slider to have some twist, especially a portrait slider.
    True enough, but the Pre Plus on VZ should have most of the QC issues worked out on it. VZ is pretty anal about this sort of thing, and we'll see what other upgrades will be in the new version of the Pre.

I do wonder if the Pre Plus will be exclusive to VZ for 6-9 months. A lot of folks may jump to VZ because of this ability to exit.
    if im not mistaken when you cancel you CANT port your number. i talked to care today and i wasnt able to port. your ending your agreement meaning that they keep your number. yes you can get out of your contract but you lose your number. ive had my number for 8 years now, id rather keep my number then pay more monthly.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynastyisp View Post
    if im not mistaken when you cancel you CANT port your number. i talked to care today and i wasnt able to port. your ending your agreement meaning that they keep your number. yes you can get out of your contract but you lose your number. ive had my number for 8 years now, id rather keep my number then pay more monthly.
    I canceled and was able to port my number
    Listen, anyone who was told they could not cancel it untill they get their bill, dont LISTEN. Your bill is most likely at the end of the month and they are hoping you pay it. Once you pay that bill, you have agreed to the contract. Call back, call back, call back. Dont give up..

It states you have 30 days from the effective date, not the date it effects you. You can complain to FCC and BBB.. It has taken me at least 14 phone calls to get it cancelled. Dont accept anything, dont allow them to say "We noted it on your account". Specifically state your contract must be marked as fulfilled. If they agree, then go online and verify. Do not port you number and expect them to refund your ETF fees.. Sprint has done this multiple times in the past and has lost to the FCC.
    I just put 3 lines from my moms account month to month. I mentioned the regulatory fee increase and mentioned a "mutual agreement change to the contract" and why I wanted to go month to month. He offered to waive some fee's and I mentioned I was not interested and please place my account month to month until I secure another provider. His name was JOSE and I waited 2 hours checked my online account and sure enough as of 12/31/09 the days I called she is out of contract.

Change plan or add a phone
    Sprint Subscriber Agreement: Expired on 12/31/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Usttler View Post
    Listen, anyone who was told they could not cancel it untill they get their bill, dont LISTEN. Your bill is most likely at the end of the month and they are hoping you pay it. Once you pay that bill, you have agreed to the contract. Call back, call back, call back. Dont give up..

It states you have 30 days from the effective date, not the date it effects you. You can complain to FCC and BBB.. It has taken me at least 14 phone calls to get it cancelled. Dont accept anything, dont allow them to say "We noted it on your account". Specifically state your contract must be marked as fulfilled. If they agree, then go online and verify. Do not port you number and expect them to refund your ETF fees.. Sprint has done this multiple times in the past and has lost to the FCC.
    I did what you said, the lady was obviously frustrated with me, but I got it through and she told me to go and port my number with my new company and give them a call back right away to waive the ETF and she also mentioned that she noted my account heavily to inform the next representative to waive the fee when I call back. This was about my 7th call today but I finally got through. Persistence pays off!
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    Sure, I would love to switch to AT&T or Verizon and pay an extra $110 a month for all the services I get on Sprint included in my plan. That would be super!

Don't give me the Verizon has better coverage argument either, it's played out.

+1, plus 4G phones are rollin' out this year, probably gonna rock the new 4G LG as a 2nd phone (hooray for advocate program!) or whatever cool new stuff they'll unveil at CES. i'd kill for a 4G webos device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Here's an excerpt from your contract:

"you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment."
    Can someone tell me where I can find the contract with these terms (for quoting over the phone)?

Thanks,
    Perfect!!

My situation: I have two lines, one I use and one as a backup only. Hardly ever use the 2nd line. Wanted to see about canceling that second line with no ETF due to this change.

I just called Sprint via #2 Customer Support. Rep said NO when I asked about canceling the 2nd line. I politely explained that their change in my contract was a materially adverse change. She still said no, I asked for her Supervisor. She said "Sure" I was put on hold and while holding I started a chat from Sprints website with Customer Service.

I explained the situation and the chat person said they needed to talk directly to me and gave me an 888 number to cancellations.

Got through on that number on another phone and was put on hold. In the mean time, the supervisor came on the line and I explained everything to him. He said NO. He said the change was not in my contract, but just in their fees. I asked if he was serious and he said yes. No cancellation with out haveing to pay the ETF. I said good bye.

Finally the cancelation department came on and was absolutely wonderful. I explained that I didn't need the second line, that it was materially ad-versing my contract. He laughed and said "Looks like you've done your homework" He agreed that I was lucky to be able to use this window to cancel the line with no ETF. He did his stuff, explained all to me and we were good.
  19.    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandrew View Post
    +1, plus 4G phones are rollin' out this year, probably gonna rock the new 4G LG as a 2nd phone (hooray for advocate program!) or whatever cool new stuff they'll unveil at CES. i'd kill for a 4G webos device.
    If you want to stay with Sprint, call up and try and cancel the contract, and they will likely give you a $20 off per month for 24 months discount to reimpose the contract.

There are major threads here on fatwallet and slickdeals about this. See here: Sprint ETF--Get out of your contract-new reg increases in Jan 2010 and New Regulatory Fee Increase=GET OUT OF YOUR SPRINT CONTRACT FOR FREE, NO ETF! - SlickDeals.net Forums .

Judging from all the posts, tons of people are heading for the door.
  20.    #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandrew View Post
    Hah! That's really funny. If you think Sprint 3G coverage is poor, just wait till you see Clearwire's 4G coverage. And at 2.5 GHz, building penetration is awful. There are tons of reports from places in the southwest where coverage goes from 5 bars to less than 1 bar when they close a tinted windows.

Heck Sprint doesn't even provide the 4G network themselves - it's part of their JV with Clearwire. And it uses wimax, a technology that only clearwire is basically using - everyone else is going to LTE.

Stop believing all the marketing nonsense about 4G.