Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91
  1.    #1  
    Seems that everyone is saying how much cheaper sprint is than verizon, but when I poke around I see that $129/month is the cheapest family data plan on sprint. 1500 minutes I believe...

    On Verizon it seems you can get a family data plan (only 700 minutes) for $119. But with both carriers offering lots of deals (free mobile to mobile--spring, free top five or whatever--verizon), it seems as though the number of minutes is negligible...

    Am I reading these things wrong?
  2. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Am I reading these things wrong?
    Yes, you are. Unless something has dramatically changed recently and I will check it out myself before I put my foot in my mouth too far. That said, Sprint has free mobile to mobile regardless of carrier. There are no limits to what mobile phone you can call or for how long you can call them. The only real limit is that it can't be an international number.
  3. #3  
    Plus the Verizon 700 / month plan does not come with friends and family (10 Free numbers you can call)....
  4. #4  
    The plan you picked for verizon is pretty barebones in comparison to your money on sprint. First off that 700 minute plan is not compatible with the my circle business so you have to up it to the 1400 minute plan which is 90 a month. Then you have to pay data for both phones which is another 60 dollars, that brings you to 150. Then you have to add the 5000 texts a month which is the most texts you can get from verizon. I don't know how much you text so you may be able to remove that. Anyways, there is no family text plan so you have to add 5000 texts to each phone which is another 20 bucks each which brings your monthly total to 190 a month for two lines comparable to what you get from sprint's 130.
    Last edited by dz1262; 12/07/2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I added the word texts after the second 5000 to make it more clear.
  5. hsiegal30's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #5  
    I've actually just switched to Sprint from Verizon and they are significantly cheaper. I have 2 line and Verizon's bill was getting to be around $200 with taxes and all that and Sprint was only $145 or so. Sprint makes it very easy to see what you are paying for. Verizon breaks out all the costs individually so it looks better, but really when you add text messaging, data, insurance (as noted in the above post) it adds up to a lot more.

    Also, for what it is worth, I noticed no significant difference in the networks either, at least not a difference I would pay $45-$55 more a month for....
  6.    #6  
    But on Verizon I could get 700 minutes for two lines, + unlimited mobile to mobile, data, text, etc. Just missing Navigation and vcast videos (what is that?)...

    So, if you can get by on 700 minutes a month, and can live without vcast (?) and navigation, verizon is a decent deal...no?

    I don't currently have a palm, but am looking at getting one. I can't decide if I should wait for verizon or just pony up on sprint. I live in Duluth, MN, and am not sure how good the sprint coverage is...

    I'm actually leaning toward the pixi, but without wifi I want to make sure I have good coverage!
  7. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Seems that everyone is saying how much cheaper sprint is than verizon, but when I poke around I see that $129/month is the cheapest family data plan on sprint. 1500 minutes I believe...

    On Verizon it seems you can get a family data plan (only 700 minutes) for $119. But with both carriers offering lots of deals (free mobile to mobile--spring, free top five or whatever--verizon), it seems as though the number of minutes is negligible...

    Am I reading these things wrong?
    Yes you are reading things wrong.

    You don't get TV and GPS on Verizon.
    You don't get 7:00 P.M anytime minutes on Verizon.
    You don't get unlimited text messages on Verizon.

    Add these features in the Verizon data plan then compare.

    I wonder how long Verizon can keep high prices.
    Their plans are most expensive plus they charge an arm and leg for breaking the contract.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yes you are reading things wrong.

    You don't get TV and GPS on Verizon.
    You don't get 7:00 P.M anytime minutes on Verizon.
    You don't get unlimited text messages on Verizon.

    Add these features in the Verizon data plan then compare.

    I wonder how long Verizon can keep high prices.
    Their plans are most expensive plus they charge an arm and leg for breaking the contract.
    The included unlimited texting with Sprint is a benefit but only if you text a lot. The extra minutes on the Sprint plan (and more unlimited minutes) could also be a benefit but not if you only use a few hundred minutes a month.

    If you only have one Smartphone on a family plan and don't text much, Verizon or AT&T could actually be cheaper. I have an AT&T family plan with 550 minutes and maintain a balance of approximately 4700 rollover minutes. Hard to see any benefit in paying Sprint for a family everything plan given I only have one smartphone on the plan and we only send/receive 30 texts a month.
  9.    #9  
    According to this: Unlimited Family Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless

    you do get unlimited text
    you get free mobile to mobile

    you don't get gps
    you don't get to watch t.v.
  10. #10  
    If you only have one Smartphone on a family plan and don't text much, Verizon or AT&T could actually be cheaper. I have an AT&T family plan with 550 minutes and maintain a balance of approximately 4700 rollover minutes. Hard to see any benefit in paying Sprint for a family everything plan given I only have one smartphone on the plan and we only send/receive 30 texts a month.[/QUOTE]


    Totally agree with ATT being reasonable, especially when it comes to the Roll over minutes. I would not agree with Verizon being cheaper in any way. When comparing Apples to Apples, Sprint is the least expensive. Take away what you dont nee (texting) yes Att could be cheaper. Depends tho on needs. Verizon is in no way chaeper.

    To the OP, One piece of advice...You can go online and see what service provider is the best in YOUR area. I would base your decision on that as well. No sense in paying for service you can barely use. In my area, Sprint, Verizon, and ATT have the same coverage...I've had them all. Tmobile was lousy, but has inexpensive plans. I love Sprint and the Pre...but the big thing I miss about ATT is the roll over. I dont talk that much. After I had a 450 minute plan and after 3 months had more minutes than I knew what to do with. Its a plus at times.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    According to this: Unlimited Family Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless

    you do get unlimited text
    you get free mobile to mobile

    you don't get gps
    you don't get to watch t.v.
    DUDE, if you want Verizon than go get flippin Verizon. It appears you just want to argue. Pick one and shut the heck up. We have pointed out the differences and you still say Verizion. Have fun. I hope you dont want to cancel your contract with them before it is up.
  12. #12  
    also sprint 3g is slighly faster then verizons and coverage is the same because if u dont have sprint service u roam in verizon so and u just dont get any mobile with verizon so it a deal breaker thing about 129dollars for 2 1500 minutes and u can call any mobile provider regardless of time for free and u get gps music store and tv included and u even can get phone as a modem for free. just check verizons 1400 minutes plan i think its 140 no gps no tv u have to pay extra and no phone as modem u pay extra again and no any mobile to any network and free minutes after 9pm. so u pay more with verizon get less minutes and less service thats included . and sprint has the fastes 3g network it got tested from a couple magazines and won again the price as most reliable and fastes 3g network in america and no one beats there prices and ya. ur call.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pattavino View Post
    DUDE, if you want Verizon than go get flippin Verizon. It appears you just want to argue. Pick one and shut the heck up. We have pointed out the differences and you still say Verizion. Have fun. I hope you dont want to cancel your contract with them before it is up.
    That is just a mean post. I am trying to compare the two, and people on here are telling me things that are different than what the verizon page says--unlimited vs. non unlimited text being one example. So I'm trying to sort things out. I don't mean to sound like I'm defending verizon, as I don't have verizon or sprint. Anyway, I suggest if you don't want to add anything meaningful to the conversation, then you should just remain quiet.
  14. #14  
    There are a few misunderstandings I think you are having.

    Verizons "unlimited" mobile to mobile is in house only. It isn't multi carrier, it is only verizon, the same with the texting, unless noted otherwise. Where as on the Sprint plan, the unlimited texting/mobile to mobile are BOTH multi carrier. So really the only thing the plans actually share, is unlimited data, other then that, the Sprint plan blows the verizon out in every other area
  15. #15  
    I say sprint all the way... I mean even if you get the cheapest everything plan with the lowest min's its a great deal becuase you can call any cell phone for free and everything else is unlimited.. I mean how can u beat that?? Thats why I wouldnt even consider the droid... I just dont see how other companies dont include text messaging in the data plan.. Thats horrible..
  16. #16  
    Since we are a pre forum I'm going to take this from that aspect with devices and what you need to have to make them work properly

    I currently have Verizon so i know the numbers and will actually pull info from my bill on this (currently has 1 smart phone and one non-smart phone with VZ navigator. it's 157 with taxes and a 17% discount

    From the Verizon aspect of 2 Pre phones (go with me here)

    1400 mins family plan (allows 10 friends and family the 700 plan does not)

    Nationwide Basic Share 1400 11/11 - 12/10

    Line one 80.00
    17% Access Discount 11/11 - 12/10 -13.60+
    TEC Insurance - Asurion 11/11 - 12/10 5.99
    500 MSG Allowance + Unlimited IN MSG 11/11 - 12/10 10.00
    VZ Navigator 11/11 - 12/10 9.99 (if verizon keeps with there normal junk you will have to use there navigator which has a fee)
    Current Data Plan 11/11 - 12/10 29.99


    Line 2
    Nationwide Basic Share 1400 Add'l Line 11/11 - 12/10 9.99 (line addon)
    Current Data Plan 11/11 - 12/10 29.99
    WPP Insurance - Asurion 11/11 - 12/10 4.99
    500 MSG Allowance + Unl IN MSG 11/11 - 12/10 10.00

    Total price 190.94 minus 13.60 (discount doesn't come off of data plans or anything else ONLY access) = 177.34 before taxes

    Sprint
    1500 mins unlimited everything

    129.99 plus taxes for 2 lines each additional line is 20 bucks so if you had 3more people to add to it then you would be more expensive then Verizon.

    Trust me I'm actually thinking of leaving Verizon since my fiancee won a Palm Pre and 4 months of free service on Thursday
    Last edited by Major Payne; 12/07/2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling errors
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    That is just a mean post. I am trying to compare the two, and people on here are telling me things that are different than what the verizon page says--unlimited vs. non unlimited text being one example. So I'm trying to sort things out. I don't mean to sound like I'm defending verizon, as I don't have verizon or sprint. Anyway, I suggest if you don't want to add anything meaningful to the conversation, then you should just remain quiet.
    you're not comparing apples to apples. one such example of this was stated by sil3ntoblivion.

    i was a 10 year Verizon customer. dumbphones and smartphones. i know what they have to offer and i know their rate plans.

    when you compare the two with IDENTICAL plan features, Sprint is cheaper. period. end of story.
  18. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    129.99 plus taxes for 2 lines each additional line is 20 bucks

    It's free for a second line and each line after two is $20 per line.

    My average bill with 5 lines on the Family Everything Data - 1500 Shared Anytime Minutes with Sprint is just over $200. I have the $7 insurance on all 5 lines and I get a 15% discount.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Since we are a pre forum I'm going to take this from that aspect with devices and what you need to have to make them work properly

    I currently have Verizon so i know the numbers and will actually pull info from my bill on this (currently has 1 smart phone and one non-smart phone with VZ navigator. it's 157 with taxes and a 17% discount

    From the Verizon aspect of 2 Pre phones (go with me here)

    1400 mins family plan (allows 10 friends and family the 700 plan does not)

    Nationwide Basic Share 1400 11/11 - 12/10

    Line one 80.00
    17% Access Discount 11/11 - 12/10 -13.60+
    TEC Insurance - Asurion 11/11 - 12/10 5.99
    500 MSG Allowance + Unlimited IN MSG 11/11 - 12/10 10.00
    VZ Navigator 11/11 - 12/10 9.99 (if verizon keeps with there normal junk you will have to use there navigator which has a fee)
    Current Data Plan 11/11 - 12/10 29.99


    Line 2
    Nationwide Basic Share 1400 Add'l Line 11/11 - 12/10 9.99 (line addon)
    Current Data Plan 11/11 - 12/10 29.99
    WPP Insurance - Asurion 11/11 - 12/10 4.99
    500 MSG Allowance + Unl IN MSG 11/11 - 12/10 10.00

    Total price 190.94 minus 13.60 (discount doesn't come off of data plans or anything else ONLY access) = 177.34 before taxes

    Sprint
    1500 mins unlimited everything

    129.99 plus taxes for 2 lines each additional line is 20 bucks so if you had 3more people to add to it then you would be more expensive then Verizon.

    Trust me I'm actually thinking of leaving Verizon since my fiancee won a Palm Pre and 4 months of free service on Thursday
    and ulimited to any cell phone carrier... Unbeatable!!
  20. #20  
    Ok if you think that was mean, then check this out. This is a Palm Pre web site, If you want a Pre or Pixie than your only choice is SPRINT for now, I dont believe a specific date has been announced for other carriers. Once the pre hits Verizon they will probably make everybody go with their everything data plan, just like Sprint, because of the integrated features of the phone. You wont be able to pick and choose features or plans. This alone should make the plan $ much more than Sprint. If you still feel uncomfortable talk to Verizon and ask them what they think the minimum plan will be for the Pre.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions