Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by pfd View Post
    The front page at the EPRP (before loggimg in) states "Available to new Sprint customers or existing customers adding a new line. No migration from existimg lines of services" . Also requires purchase of a new phone on the EPRP site (not available in Sprint stores). Bummer
    Does this mean, though, that I could get a pixi for my wife through wirefly or some other cheaper venue, get a plan, then add a pre and bump up coverage via this discount?
  2. pfd
    That's what it sounds like. You may only need 1 qualifying purchase to get the deal.
    You should double check with Sprint to make certain.
  3.    #63  
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    This Kantian view of the us taking the "moral high ground" makes very little sense considering sprint breached the contract first.
    Quote Originally Posted by altoid57 View Post
    This Kantian view of the us taking the "moral high ground" makes very little sense considering sprint breached the contract first.
    I think the point is that, if you think Sprint's breaching of the contract is sufficient to cancel service, that's fine. However, if it's just to get a new phone, and then regain service (for which you will need to pay the $.15), then it's not ethical. You're basically lying about the reason you're canceling service - you may be able to do so because of a loophole, but that doesn't make it right.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    ARGGGHHHH...this 109 a month deal might be too tempting to pass up (thanks!). What say the masses? Do I pull the trigger for a pre (me) and pixi (wife)? Or do I hold off, not necessarily for another carrier, but for the next palm device?
    Well, if there's one thing we've all learned, it's that there will always be a "next device", and it'll appear long before our scheduled upgrades. So if you love the phones, and the price is right, I'd advise pulling the trigger.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  7.    #67  
    I am not on a contract at all, so can move forward at any time...I'm not trying to hurt sprint...
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    If 700 minutes is all you need for you and the Mrs., then Verizon Wireless will cost you:

• $99.99 for the 700 Select Plan (2 lines).

That's 700 minutes shared, unlimited in-network mobile to mobile minutes, unlimited text, pix, video (if video is available) messages, free minutes from 9:01PM to 5:59AM and all day Sat. & Sun. (NO Friends & Family)

• $29.99 for the Email & Web package PER smartphone. Which includes unlimited data.

The above will be the bare minimum for 2 Palms on Verizon once available (IF you need unlimited messaging). That's $159.97.

If you don't need unlimited messaging, then:

• $69.99 for the 700 minute Basic Plan (2 Lines). Same as above with NO messaging included in the price. You will be charged $0.20 per text message and $0.25 per pix/flix message both ways (that's incoming and outgoing).
    • $5.00 for a bundle of 250 messages per line
    • $10.00 for a bundle of 500 messages, with unlimited In-Network messaging per line
    • $15.00 for a bundle of 1500 messages, with unlimited In-Network messaging per line
    • $20.00 for a bundle of 5000 messages, with unlimited In-Network messaging per line

Are you going to be texting mostly in verizon's network, or out? Keep in mind that Instant Messaging (AOL, Yahoo, etc) counts as OUT of network texting.

In any case, you're going to be paying at least $129.97 for two Palms on Verizon Wireless. How did you get $119? Were you looking at the Connect Plan? That is a plan for regular phones. Sorry. It won't work on PDA/Smart phones.

The EXTRAS:

• VZ Navigator: $9.99 per device (if available)
    • VCAST Music: $14.99 for up to 3 devices (if available)
    • VCAST Video: $10 per device (if available)
    • Visual VoiceMail: $2.99 per device (IF available)
    • Total Equipment Coverage (Advanced Devices): $7.99 per device

KEEP IN MIND WHAT YOU GET WITH SPRINT FOR $129.99:

1500 Everything Data Plan (2 lines).
    • That's 1500 LANDLINE minutes shared, unlimited ANY Mobile ANY Time, Unlimited minutes from 7:01PM to 5:59AM and all day Sat. & Sun.
    • Unlimited Data
    • Unlimited text, pix, video messaging (once video is available)
    • Unlimited Sprint Navigation
    • Unlimited Sprint TV, Nascar, NFL
    • Unlimited Conditional Call Forwarding (if you use Google Voice)

The EXTRAS:

• Total Equipment Protection: $7.00

That's it.

Aside from economics, you will have to research the coverage maps in your area. Regarding all the comments about Sprint roaming on Verizon's network: yes it's true, but that's not the whole story...

Sprint does have roaming agreements with Verizon, BUT you will only be roaming on their voice network (1X) not their data network (EVDO). SO, you can talk and text, but that will be it. NO DATA while roaming on Verizon . So check those coverage maps for your area.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by RafRol; 12/09/2009 at 09:38 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Sprint is the best deal if you want a lot of stuff for everybody in your family. If you are looking for a budget family plan with one smartphone in the family then Verizon will likely be cheaper.
  10.    #70  
    Man, thanks for that...Super helpful. I was, in fact, looking at the Verizon stuff wrong. The coverage map in my area looks relatively sparse--good right in town, running along the freeways, etc, but roaming not far out of town. I don't travel a whole lot (two young kids, work from home), so it will all depend on what the coverage is like right in town, which I won't know until I try...Hope it works out, though, as Sprint looks to be by far the better deal if you want a lot of services wrapped up...
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Man, thanks for that...Super helpful. I was, in fact, looking at the Verizon stuff wrong. The coverage map in my area looks relatively sparse--good right in town, running along the freeways, etc, but roaming not far out of town. I don't travel a whole lot (two young kids, work from home), so it will all depend on what the coverage is like right in town, which I won't know until I try...Hope it works out, though, as Sprint looks to be by far the better deal if you want a lot of services wrapped up...
    Most people I have talked to look at the Verizon plans wrong when they are currently Sprint customers. On Sprint, the plans are just about identical across the board. Doesn't matter if you are looking at the basic flip phone without a camera, or a Palm Pre with just about everything except the kitchen sink. Verizon has different plans with different levels and structures, which lend themselves to be more customizable for what each line wants, but can potentially be much more expensive for the same features, if they are even available at all.

This is why I recommend people research and don't jump to the conclusion that it will be cheaper without first getting a second set of eyes to look at things. That's not just for phone service, but anything really. If it requires a legally binding agreement have someone else look at it too in case you missed something.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Most people I have talked to look at the Verizon plans wrong when they are currently Sprint customers. On Sprint, the plans are just about identical across the board. Doesn't matter if you are looking at the basic flip phone without a camera, or a Palm Pre with just about everything except the kitchen sink. Verizon has different plans with different levels and structures, which lend themselves to be more customizable for what each line wants, but can potentially be much more expensive for the same features, if they are even available at all.

This is why I recommend people research and don't jump to the conclusion that it will be cheaper without first getting a second set of eyes to look at things. That's not just for phone service, but anything really. If it requires a legally binding agreement have someone else look at it too in case you missed something.
    I noticed the Sprint plans do not have much flexibility. If I have one smartphone (Pre) and one dumbphone on a family plan would I need to have everything data on both phones for $129?

On the other hand with VZ I could have both phones on the shared 700 minute plan ($69.99) and add unlimited data on 1 phone for 29.99 250 sms per phone ($10) total $110. Droid has navigation included.

While I understand it is not an apples to apples comparison because you get more on the Sprint plan the point is VZ is less expensive for some people who may not need unlimited everything. VZ's plans seem to have more flexibility. Obviously if you need unlimited everything on all phones then Sprint is the way to go.
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pottyvick View Post
    Plus the Verizon 700 / month plan does not come with friends and family (10 Free numbers you can call)....
    That is a biggie. It is a bare bones plan as others have said.
    Plus you can't beat Sprint Any Mobile Anytime inclusion. My Simply Everything Plus Family Data plan includes 1600 minutes. Since they started including Any Mobile as part of the plan, I have seen my minute usage drop by 75%. Not getting charged for making UNLIMITED calls to ANY mobile phone no matter the carrier is something that no other provider has even attempted to match.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I agree that Sprint offers more for those that need it ... but not everyone needs that many minutes. Many people like myself use less than 400 minutes a month so the anymobile didn't really provide any benefit to me.

My point is Sprint is not always the cheapest option for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    ...Aside from economics, you will have to research the coverage maps in your area. Regarding all the comments about Sprint roaming on Verizon's network: yes it's true, but that's not the whole story...

Sprint does have roaming agreements with Verizon, BUT you will only be roaming on their voice network (1X) not their data network (EVDO). SO, you can talk and text, but that will be it. NO DATA while roaming on Verizon . So check those coverage maps for your area.

Good Luck.
    One minor correction here. You CAN roam for 3G data on Verizon DEPENDING on WHERE you are. I'm in the DC Metro area and I can roam for data (3G & 1xRTT) on Verizon. But I seldom have to. 99% of the time I can get a Sprint signal.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    It seems like sprint usually gives higher discount rates to many companies and schools too. I get a 25% discount on sprint, where as I only get 21% on Verizon.

Sprint discounts are also applied to almost the entire bill. Verizon only discounts the main line, where sprint will discount all lines and many of their extra features.
    Yes, but my response was to the people who were saying that Sprint doesn't offer any flexibilty. They do offer plans for that don't have Any Mobile Anytime, which many people prefer. But their higher cost plans do give more bang for the bucks, and I've yet to see any provider that approaches Sprint's variety on a dollar for dollar basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg417 View Post
    I agree that Sprint offers more for those that need it ... but not everyone needs that many minutes. Many people like myself use less than 400 minutes a month so the anymobile didn't really provide any benefit to me.

My point is Sprint is not always the cheapest option for everyone.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Yes, but my response was to the people who were saying that Sprint doesn't offer any flexibilty. They do offer plans for that don't have Any Mobile Anytime, which many people prefer. But their higher cost plans do give more bang for the bucks, and I've yet to see any provider that approaches Sprint's variety on a dollar for dollar basis.

Correct. When comparing apples to apples for service (compare the 1500 minute plans not a 1500 to a 700) Sprint is definitely less expensive. However, if you don't need all the "built" in features of Sprint for all of your lines then you may find VZ to be less expensive. There is no generalization other than as a direct comparison for features Sprint is less expensive on the Pre required plans.

I don't know about roaming 3G on VZ in Pittsburgh as I almost constantly have a Sprint signal, plus I have a tower about .1 miles from my house - excellent signal
    I know Sprint is less expensive than Verizon and I think I do want to switch to the Pre (from Treo 700P).

Here is my concern. I have 3 friends (1 in Orlando, another in TN where I live and another in Fort Lauderdale - he travels a lot). All three of them have had MANY MANY situations where I have called and left multiple voice mails to them and they have never received them OR they receive them 1-2 weeks later. I just can't tolerate that if that is a normal sprint situation. That is my big hold back.

Can any of you speak to that and help me learn if these are isolated situations or if they are the norm? If it's the norm then I don't care (within reason) how much more another service costs - I NEED to get my messages..and would be willing to pay $50 to $75 more per month to have a reliable service.

I have to believe Sprint can't be as bad as the experience I mentioned or they would have no customers left, and you guys wouldn't be raving about how good they are on this post.

That said - WHEN does Verizon get the Pre?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast