Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. pfd
    The front page at the EPRP (before loggimg in) states "Available to new Sprint customers or existing customers adding a new line. No migration from existimg lines of services" . Also requires purchase of a new phone on the EPRP site (not available in Sprint stores). Bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    Torourke, I just left Verizon this morning for Sprint. It boils down to one thing: money. I was paying $138/month for 2 lines on VZW and this is even with my State employee discount.

On VZW our plan was:
    700 minutes shared
    500 text messages outside of network ($10 extra per line)
    Data plan on one phone $30

Now on Sprint:
    1600 Shared Minutes
    Unlimited texts, mobile to mobile calls (on any carrier), Unlimited data on both phones
    $109.99

Now I will say (and I knew this going in) that VZW's service is the best as far as signal. However, Sprint isn't that much worse in my area, and I can put up with a disruption here or there to save almost $400 a year.
    please show me how to get the 109.99 because i only find 129
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i've decided i'm going with verizon sooner than later. sprint is the only carrier not to have a roaming agreement on the subway i ride. even cricket and such have full roaming. sprint might be cheaper but i'm getting less service. it makes no sense to have a smartphone that doesn't have a data connection where i use it most. good bye sprint, its been a great 8 years but your cheapskate ways have cost you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

what does this do exactly?
  5. pfd
    Major,

see stryker412 post with links above. Thanks again Stryker

however, as per the website, its for new service, with a new device only. $109 for 2 phones, then only $15 per phones 3-5. thats about $35 per/mo less than their standard 1500 family everything data plan. I wish I knew about this a month ago!
  6. pfd
    click the hyperlink to be taken to the sprint website. and then copy and paste the email address and code where promted
    hmmm cool

Since I would have to buy a phone anyways (fiancee won the pre recently) so that would even be more of a savings
  8. pfd
    you sir are in the proverbial right place at the right time! Good luck. Post back and let us know how it turns out.
    i have to wait until julyunles they are willing to help me out of my contract LOL
    Not only is Sprint cheaper, but no Sprint customer should NOT have at least a 25% discount on their bill, which makes it WAY cheaper.

Discounts can not be applied to the ESRP plans, though. But 25% off the regular plan is still cheaper than ESRP.

After discount, you shouldn't be paying more than $98 for 1500 minutes/ 2 lines on Sprint. And if anyone knows how to use google, they can easily get the 25% off.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I've had a Pre on Sprint since July after jumping from ATT. The Pre was the sole reason I switched. A little over a week ago my wife's ATT phone broke, so I had to make a decision for her and my daughter to joint me on Sprint and convert to a family plan or to have then go to a Verizon family plan. Of course, I would then switch to Verizon when the Pre is available from them. I found it to be about $40 cheaper a month on Verizon ($150 versus $110) if we went to the minimum plan with no texting and only one data plan. On the other hand if we were to go with all smartphones and unlimited texting Verizon would have been about $50 more expensive per month.

On top of pricing, I was having problems with Sprint service with dropped calls and problematic service from my home.

Now that I am on my way to committing to Verizon what is this business about paying extra for GPS? Does this mean I can't use location services on Verizon without paying extra? Seems weird.
    Last edited by miata; 12/07/2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typos
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, y'all realize, I am sure, that the 119.99 plan is for non-smartphones?

That means, no Droid, No Eris, No PRE?

You will at least be 139.99 for the plan if you have two smartphones on Verizon, and that's for only 700 minutes.

Need to read the fine print people.

When it says Unlimited data for Mobile web, that means the cheezy web portal from Verizon. Woopdy do. ...

Mobile Web
    Billing for Data Sent or Received. Mobile Web is included in all Nationwide Calling Plans. Megabyte charges apply to Basic and Select Plans. Unless you subscribe to the V Cast VPak, V CAST Mobile TV Select or Premium Calling Plans, megabytes sent or received using Mobile Web (including advertising) will be aggregated each month, rounded up to the next megabyte, and billed at $1.99/MB.

Rates are rounded to the nearest whole megabyte. One megabyte is equal to 1024 kilobytes. Application charges apply in addition to charges for data sent/received.

Important: On select smartphone devices, if you do not subscribe to a Data Plan or Data Feature, data usage will be billed at 1.5˘ per KB ($15.36 per MB), unless you add a data block or subscribe to a Wireless Email Feature. Other smartphone devices and all BlackBerry® devices require a Data Plan or a Data Feature.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    well said
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Now that I am on my way to committing to Verizon what is this business about paying extra for GPS? Does this mean I can't use location services on Verizon without paying extra? Seems weird.
    That's Verizon for you. BTW the much criticized AT&T does not do that. The GPS on my new Bold 9700 is completely unlocked. They do have a Nav service for about $10 a month but I would much rather use Google Maps. They also provided an unlock code and instructions for the Bold the first business day after I requested them (phone was heavily subsidized $50 with mail in rebate).

OTOH They have recently adopted the consumer hostile policy of requiring data plans with smartphones. Plenty of people are unhappy about that.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's Verizon for you. BTW the much criticized AT&T does not do that. The GPS on my new Bold 9700 is completely unlocked. They do have a Nav service for about $10 a month but I would much rather use Google Maps. They also provided an unlock code and instructions for the Bold the first business day after I requested them (phone was heavily subsidized $50 with mail in rebate).

OTOH They have recently adopted the consumer hostile policy of requiring data plans with smartphones. Plenty of people are unhappy about that.
    I don't need navigation services -- just location services. You are saying that I will have to pay extra for that? How much per month?

It is a nice to have, but not sure I would be willing to pay extra every month for location services.
    6 months ago I had Verizon, I had a BB Storm and my daughter had a flip phone with texting plan inside of Verizon, but since alot of her friends were outside of Verizon I then had to also purchase another texting plan. Then there was GPS for my phone. By the time you add in all of the "gotcha's" I was paying about $185 a month, that also includes insurance and taxes on the 2 phones. I now have myself, my daughter and my son on 3 palm pre's on the family plan. With insurance, taxes and charges I now pay $178 a month. Where I live (SoCal) the coverage is good (actually better in my house) and the internet is so much faster. Really happy with Sprint so far.

If you have a NON-smartphone and want VZ navigator you pay 10 dollars a month extra. Other wise you have no other option .

Smartphones i'm not sure on as i have not done research. I have a centro where i don't even have a gps chip to worry about it. I just use google maps
    I don't need navigation services -- just location services. You are saying that I will have to pay extra for that? How much per month?

It is a nice to have, but not sure I would be willing to pay extra every month for location services.
    Verizon typically prevents 3rd party apps from accessing the GPS chip in phones they sell equipped with GPS. AT&T typically does not. Both offer a navigation add on similar to the one Sprint offers with its Everything plans. However, both Verizon and AT&T charge an extra $10 a month for the Nav program.

From me, Google Maps is all the navigation I need on a phone (I wouldn't use a phone for in-car NAV) so the Verizon policy would really annoy me. Actually, Verizon crippling their phones was a major reason I left them. When they launched the Razor they put their own UI on it. Motorola's UI isn't the best but Verizon's was truly awful.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Verizon typically prevents 3rd party apps from accessing the GPS chip in phones they sell equipped with GPS. AT&T typically does not. Both offer a navigation add on similar to the one Sprint offers with its Everything plans. However, both Verizon and AT&T charge an extra $10 a month for the Nav program.

From me, Google Maps is all the navigation I need on a phone (I wouldn't use a phone for in-car NAV) so the Verizon policy would really annoy me. Actually, Verizon crippling their phones was a major reason I left them. When they launched the Razor they put their own UI on it. Motorola's UI isn't the best but Verizon's was truly awful.
    I've been googling and it appears that Verizon is relaxing the GPS locking. If they charge extra I will not have location services. Just seems weird to me.
  20.    #60  
    ARGGGHHHH...this 109 a month deal might be too tempting to pass up (thanks!). What say the masses? Do I pull the trigger for a pre (me) and pixi (wife)? Or do I hold off, not necessarily for another carrier, but for the next palm device? My wife is in desperate need of a phone, but--truth be told--as much as I'm trying to justify a pre, I don't actually need a phone at all as I have a work cell phone that has unlimited minutes--but no texting, etc, and definitely no fun.

But I would be too jealous if my wife had a pixi (she could care less)! Plus, I don't want to pass up on this sweet deal....
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast