1.    #1  
    I'm at a stage of my life where I'm moving around a lot. My family's in Virginia, I'm graduating from college in Boston, I bought my Pre this summer in San Francisco, and in January I'm moving to Vancouver to start a job!

I have lots of questions about phone service, so here goes:

Has anyone successfully taken a Sprint Pre with them across the border to Bell in Canada? Any tips on how to make the process any easier? Can I get a Bell contract with a short obligation (max 12 months) if I bring my own phone?

Is that really want I want to do? I'll be in Canada for at least eight months, and I probably won't be there longer than 20 months. If Sprint makes me pay the ETF (I spoke to a rep online and she said they would), it might almost be cheaper to get the Canada voice and data plans Sprint offers, and then use a virtual-number forwarding service (forwarding to my US phone number) to give me a Canadian number to hand out to contacts there.

Assuming I do drop my Sprint contract and pick up with Bell, I don't really want to lose my US phone number, especially since I'll just be in Canada temporarily. This *could* be a good opportunity to transition to my Google Voice number when I get back, but does anyone have any experience with porting Sprint cell phone numbers to VoIP services -- and then back to a US cell phone carrier?

Thanks everyone!
    tim
    You may end up having problems getting Bell to let you use your phone on their network, from what I have heard they refuse to let non-Bell phones on their network, not even phones bought under MVNOs using their network. Any plan you get could also be quite bad compared to any plan you're use to.

I would probably recommend you try contacting a Bell rep to see what kind of plan they can offer you to use with your Pre and compare the price of sticking with Sprint. You might also have some luck asking on HowardForums, there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people there which might have more experience with switching CDMA phones between carriers.
    Call them....

Bell:
    From the U.S.: 1 800 667-ROAM (7626)
    Anywhere in the world: +1 514 420-7748

Telus:
    1-877-481-2332
    Vancouver: 604-291-2355
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The ESN on your Pre is locked/tied/registered to Sprint... I don't think Bell can even touch it. I believe this is done during the time the manufacturer delivers to the carrier (I'm talking strictly CDMA phones). It's no different than you trying to use your Pre on Verizon, despite both having the same CDMA technology. Verizon (or Bell for that matter) won't have the ESN in their system.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Bell won't activate any non-Bell phones on their CDMA network.

They just launched their HSPA+ network last month. If you can acquire a GSM based Pre you may have better luck.
    I'm assuming once you kill your Sprint service and pay any outstanding balances (if applicable) that issue shouldn't be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    The ESN on your Pre is locked/tied/registered to Sprint... I don't think Bell can even touch it. I believe this is done during the time the manufacturer delivers to the carrier (I'm talking strictly CDMA phones). It's no different than you trying to use your Pre on Verizon, despite both having the same CDMA technology. Verizon (or Bell for that matter) won't have the ESN in their system.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm assuming once you kill your Sprint service and pay any outstanding balances (if applicable) that issue shouldn't be a problem?
    Canceling service still doesn't release your ESN unfortunately.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I thiknk if you read your contract correctly, if you are moving to an area that Sprint cannot provide you service, then you should be able to cancel your contract without the ETF. I know with Tmobile that was the case when I had a friend move to Alaska where he couldn't get Tmobile service. If they cannot provide you with a signal to use the phone, then they can't hold you to your contract. You also maybe able to just suspend your account for a period of time since you'll be out of the country. Again, Tmobile allows you to do that, and I can't imagine other carriers not having a similar plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by kumokasumi View Post
    I'm at a stage of my life where I'm moving around a lot. My family's in Virginia, I'm graduating from college in Boston, I bought my Pre this summer in San Francisco, and in January I'm moving to Vancouver to start a job!

I have lots of questions about phone service, so here goes:

Has anyone successfully taken a Sprint Pre with them across the border to Bell in Canada? Any tips on how to make the process any easier? Can I get a Bell contract with a short obligation (max 12 months) if I bring my own phone?

Is that really want I want to do? I'll be in Canada for at least eight months, and I probably won't be there longer than 20 months. If Sprint makes me pay the ETF (I spoke to a rep online and she said they would), it might almost be cheaper to get the Canada voice and data plans Sprint offers, and then use a virtual-number forwarding service (forwarding to my US phone number) to give me a Canadian number to hand out to contacts there.

Assuming I do drop my Sprint contract and pick up with Bell, I don't really want to lose my US phone number, especially since I'll just be in Canada temporarily. This *could* be a good opportunity to transition to my Google Voice number when I get back, but does anyone have any experience with porting Sprint cell phone numbers to VoIP services -- and then back to a US cell phone carrier?

Thanks everyone!
    tim
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    If you are moving to an area without Sprint coverage you can get out of the contract without penalty. You have to prove however that you are moving somewhere without coverage available.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    From what I've heard, Sprint had a 'North America' unlimited plan for voice and data that includes Canada for $149/Mo. If that's still the case, that may work best for you. Especially since, Canadian roaming rates while in the US are quite high. $1.50/Minute with Telus (my provider) and $3-8/MB of data.

As for getting a local Canadian number, I would recommend Babytel.ca. They have cheap VoIP rates for your home phone which you can forward to your US Cell phone number.