Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. #41  
    [QUOTE=Huff;2071217]It is true that the issues discussed on this thread aren't a Pre issue specifically but more of a Sprint issue. However, Sprint changed it's policies with the Pre/Pixi in mind and thus mainly effect Pre owners. Sprint does not have the same policy for other Smartphones such as the Treo.[/QUOok

    Ok. Out of curiosity. Can you provide anything beyond your beliefs that Sprint changed their policy with Pre and Pixi users in mind? Or is this just an assumption you have biased by you feeling slighted? Smarthphones have evolved and thus so have the plans needed for these phones...ATT has plans just for the iphone, as do all providers just for certain PDA's. What evidence do you have to support your claim? This is a forum...I'm curious. Your opinion is yours. However, keep in mind most will ask for evidence for what they feel facts disprove, especially on a forum such as this where the diehard pre lovers band together, just as do those disatisfied with the pre. I love the pre, but am more interested in seeking truth. If what you say is true, please enlighten me with facts
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    It is true that the issues discussed on this thread aren't a Pre issue specifically but more of a Sprint issue. However, Sprint changed it's policies with the Pre/Pixi in mind and thus mainly effect Pre owners. Sprint does not have the same policy for other Smartphones such as the Treo.
    really? Your crazy man, just simply crazy. Do some research and tell me why a national carrier would change their calling plans to fit or molded to a phone that less than 5 months later wouldn't even be called their flagship phone? The plans changed and the rules were updated to stay competitive across the industry. To suggest anything otherwise is fantasy.
    Paying rates of 2002 is not profitable for sprint.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 12/01/2009 at 04:23 AM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  3. mcurrens's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    It is true that the issues discussed on this thread aren't a Pre issue specifically but more of a Sprint issue. However, Sprint changed it's policies with the Pre/Pixi in mind and thus mainly effect Pre owners. Sprint does not have the same policy for other Smartphones such as the Treo.
    I don't think Sprint even knew about the Pre/Pixi Eighteen months ago when the Instinct came out, with the same policies you're complaining about.
  4. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.johnson115 View Post
    Ok. Out of curiosity. Can you provide anything beyond your beliefs that Sprint changed their policy with Pre and Pixi users in mind? Or is this just an assumption you have biased by you feeling slighted?
    Because the new plans are NOT required for the older Smartphones such as the Treo. I can buy a brand new Treo and keep my existing shared minutes plan with data on one line only. Sprint also told me I can keep my existing plan if I go with a Blackberry. I can't do that with the Pre or Pixi so why do you feel the new plans are not aimed at the Pre and Pixi users?
  5. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurrens View Post
    I don't think Sprint even knew about the Pre/Pixi Eighteen months ago when the Instinct came out, with the same policies you're complaining about.
    Why can I buy a Treo or Blackberry Smartphone and keep my existing plan but can't do so with a Pre or Pixi? I never asked Sprint about the Instinct so can't comment on that phone.
  6. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    really? Your crazy man, just simply crazy. Do some research and tell me why a national carrier would change their calling plans to fit or molded to a phone that less than 5 months later wouldn't even be called their flagship phone? The plans changed and the rules were updated to stay competitive across the industry. To suggest anything otherwise is fantasy. Paying rates of 2002 is not profitable for sprint.
    No need to resort to calling me or anyone else crazy. The fact remains that the new policy does NOT apply to other Smartphones such as the Treo or Blackberry.

    Sprint wants me to pay $30 more a month to go from a Treo Smartphone to a Pre with same minutes, data, texts etc that I have now. I've had the old plan only 1 year, not 2002. as you assumed If you feel a $30 price increase in 1 year is just fine and dandy then fine, pay it. For me its excessive, thats my opinion and crazy or not you do what you want and I'll do what I want with my money. For the service I need for my family Verizon is currently cheaper. It really depends on ones needs, phones, etc.
  7. mcurrens's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #47  
    It probably because the Treos and Blackberries are now cheaper phones (for Sprint) and you're much more likely to use the data heavily with a WebOS phone.
  8. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Why can I buy a Treo or Blackberry Smartphone and keep my existing plan but can't do so with a Pre or Pixi? I never asked Sprint about the Instinct so can't comment on that phone.
    Because the Pre is the first Sprint smartphone that requires a constant data connection. And though it does come with WIFI, some network connectivity is always required.

    This is why the Pre requires the everything data plan. Once you are on the everything data plan then all phones added to that plan have the same features and shared minutes. If this is not what you want then have two separate plans.

    Sprint would have continued allowing you to use your old plan structure had you not bought a Pre. In the end this was your decision and your fault should you have not researched properly
  9. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Because the Pre is the first Sprint smartphone that requires a constant data connection. And though it does come with WIFI, some network connectivity is always required.
    Only requires data for the cloud based backup and syncing. Both have their share of problems. Many would prefer a PC based backup and sync similar to Palm Desktop that backs up everything on the phone at one time but thats a seperate issue.
  10. #50  
    Whoever told you that you could keep your plan if you go with a Blackberry gave you incorrect information. When I used Treos (700wx, 755, 800, Pro), I had a SERO plan. When I switched to a BB Curve, I was automatically switched from a SERO plan with all it's perks to a Everything Plus plan. There was no option to keep the SERO with the BB. The BB relies on an internet connection for it to perform it's functions, like email and texting. Sorry, but that's life. And it was like that before the Pre and Pixi were even announced.





    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Because the new plans are NOT required for the older Smartphones such as the Treo. I can buy a brand new Treo and keep my existing shared minutes plan with data on one line only. Sprint also told me I can keep my existing plan if I go with a Blackberry. I can't do that with the Pre or Pixi so why do you feel the new plans are not aimed at the Pre and Pixi users?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  11. #51  
    Incorrect. The Blackberrys also require a data/internet connection to function. If you don't belive me, just google RIM servers down and you'll see what I mean. Been there, done that.



    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Because the Pre is the first Sprint smartphone that requires a constant data connection. And though it does come with WIFI, some network connectivity is always required.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  12. #52  
    old phones = old plans
    new phones = new plans

    I actually had a long conversation with sprint today regarding this...Sprints view like all large carriers is that newer phones will use more data than older phones. There is no arguing that because its the industries position.

    If you purchase the device on your own without a subsidy I think there should be a different option, but if you need or take the subsidy, you are at the carriers mercy. And it should be that way.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  13. #53  
    The math should be:

    old phone + old plan = old plan
    new phone + old plan = new plan
    new phone + new plan = new plan


    FYI, the Blackberrys have required their own data plans for years. It is only recently that they are being merged into the "everything" catagory. So does that make them a old phone or a new phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    old phones = old plans
    new phones = new plans

    I actually had a long conversation with sprint today regarding this...Sprints view like all large carriers is that newer phones will use more data than older phones. There is no arguing that because its the industries position.

    If you purchase the device on your own without a subsidy I think there should be a different option, but if you need or take the subsidy, you are at the carriers mercy. And it should be that way.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  14. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    old phones = old plans
    new phones = new plans

    I actually had a long conversation with sprint today regarding this...Sprints view like all large carriers is that newer phones will use more data than older phones. There is no arguing that because its the industries position.
    I guess that depends on the user. On my Treo I browsed the web and watched YouTube. Same as I do with my Pre. Data usage is about the same. Tethering is against Sprint policies with either phone.
  15. #55  
    I corrected thread title to match thread content.

    This has nothing to do with any particular phone but Sprint plans.

    In the future, I would suggest two things:

    * Check the Sprint.com website to see what plans are required for a phone or an added line before making the purchase.

    * Look at the contract you are signing to see what you are buying before you buy it.

    - Craig
  16. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #56  
    I think one of the problems is that both ATT and Verizon let you add data to family plans on a phone by phone basis. When I got my Pre I probably didn't do as much analysis as I should have. I have two other family members that I need to bring over to a family plan -- but they just need dumb phones.

    When I did the analysis with them the cost for Sprint was going to be $110 month for a family plan with one smartphone. Of course, for Sprint is $150. That is $40/mo (36%) extra. So, when my wife's phone broke a week ago I converted her and my daughter over to Verizon. I'll be joining them in a family plan as soon as the Pre is available on Verizon.
  17. Giblet's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Because the new plans are NOT required for the older Smartphones such as the Treo. I can buy a brand new Treo and keep my existing shared minutes plan with data on one line only. Sprint also told me I can keep my existing plan if I go with a Blackberry. I can't do that with the Pre or Pixi so why do you feel the new plans are not aimed at the Pre and Pixi users?
    Actually the first phone to require the everything data plan was the Instinct. Which I believe launched before the Pre was announced. The move was made before the Pre was even a twinkle in Sprints eye.
  18. #58  
    I'm with Huff on this one:

    I had a shared plan with no data as of this summer (Centro and Blackberry Pearl) - $59.99. This was allowed just this summer.
    As of last week I added data for the Pearl, and Sprint says the $15 data add-on is incompatible, so I went with the $30 Blackberry Persoanl Pack add-on, including unlimited text and GPS. No data for my wife.

    All I want is to update my Pearl to the Pixi.
    But unfortunately that means going from $59.99 + $30 ($89.99) to a $129.99 shared plan (comparable data to Blackberry data plan w/unlimited text/GPS).

    That's $40/month extra!! All I wanted was a better phone
  19. #59  
    i see what your saying OP. you are FORCED to get a data plan in order to even activate a pre. sprint says you can keep your old plans and get a pre if you already had data. i dont know if the hero or any other new sprint smartphones require data plans just turn on for the first time. just get her a cricket / metro pc. unless you just HAVE to have your wife on your plan.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions