Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
  1. corpx's Avatar
    Posts
    209 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #1  
    Are they true? That'd hamper Pre a little bit when it goes on Verizon, wouldnt it?
  2. #2  
    It's CDMA networks (like Sprint and Bell) that prevent talking while using data. Not a function of the phone. Of course Wifi will still work, but not EVDO. GSM networks don't suffer from this though.
  3. #3  
    Verizon is the same as Sprint.
  4. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yeah CDMA doesn't allow simultaneous Voice and Data connections. However, if a phone has WiFi, it can be in call and still using the WiFi for data. The Pre does this.
  5. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by corpx View Post
    Are they true? That'd hamper Pre a little bit when it goes on Verizon, wouldnt it?
    It's already "hampered" this way on Sprint. Very few people even seem to notice. But if that's important, don't buy a CDMA phone -- go GSM. This has been a key benefit to iPhone for 3+ years now (and again, very few users seem to realize that).
  6. #6  
    anyone know if sprint will ever be able to do this?
  7. #7  
    A "workaround" on a CDMA network is if you are in range of wifi, you can use wifi for data while using voice.
  8. enemigo32's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #8  
    how do you use the wifi for data while using voice?
  9. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by enemigo32 View Post
    how do you use the wifi for data while using voice?
    It's automatic. As long as you have wifi on and connected to a wifi signal, the phone will use the wifi for data even when you are on a call.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    A "workaround" on a CDMA network is if you are in range of wifi, you can use wifi for data while using voice.
    but the wifi network has to be free or unsecured...or your own. Otherwise you can't just hop on.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    but the wifi network has to be free or unsecured...or your own. Otherwise you can't just hop on.
    http://www.xmfan.com/files/master_of...bvious_354.jpg
  12. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    It's already "hampered" this way on Sprint. Very few people even seem to notice. But if that's important, don't buy a CDMA phone -- go GSM. This has been a key benefit to iPhone for 3+ years now (and again, very few users seem to realize that).
    One reason most don't realize they can talk and use data on GSM and an iPhone specifically is because an iPhone does't multitask so you rally cannot do both at the same time
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    but the wifi network has to be free or unsecured...or your own. Otherwise you can't just hop on.
    Well yeah, that was assumed as is with any wifi, you need access to it. Was just pointing out there is a way around the voice/data limitation in some instances, not that it is a complete solution.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    One reason most don't realize they can talk and use data on GSM and an iPhone specifically is because an iPhone does't multitask so you rally cannot do both at the same time
    The new iPhone ads state otherwise - that you can open other apps while on a call.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  15. #15  
    nice picture....what I said might be obvious but it seems some people assume it's very easy to get wifi connections whenever you want....which in their minds might negate the disadvantage of EDVO's inability to handle data and voice at the same time.

    But nice picture though..where do you find these things??
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    nice picture....what I said might be obvious but it seems some people assume it's very easy to get wifi connections whenever you want....which in their minds might negate the disadvantage of EDVO's inability to handle data and voice at the same time.
    I think it depends on where you live - I have wifi at work, home, and at a ton of public places, so it's hard for me to find too many places without access to phone / data simultaneously....although I can't remember the last time I really needed it.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I think it depends on where you live - I have wifi at work, home, and at a ton of public places, so it's hard for me to find too many places without access to phone / data simultaneously....although I can't remember the last time I really needed it.
    So you have access while you are walking down a random street? If you need to use the voice/data capability on the spur of the moment what do you do? I guess you can wait until you get home, arrive at work, or are near one of the 'public places' you mentioned.

    You don't need this capability often which is fine. But that does not diminish its importance to those that might need it more often or with fewer restrictions.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    ....although I can't remember the last time I really needed it.
    I think alot of users arent bothered by this limitation on Sprint and Verizons implementation of CDMA. If one absolutely has to have voice/data simultaneously at all times then at least in the US at this point is to go GSM.

    I think ATT is just trying to get Verizon users all flustered over something most of them never realized was an issue/limitation, and since they never realized this, does it really matter?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    One reason most don't realize they can talk and use data on GSM and an iPhone specifically is because an iPhone does't multitask so you rally cannot do both at the same time
    you're misinformed or mixing words, or maybe both.

    the iPhone absolutely can use it's native apps, such as the web browser, while on a call.
  20. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I think ATT is just trying to get Verizon users all flustered over something most of them never realized was an issue/limitation, and since they never realized this, does it really matter?
    This.

    Everyone I talked to about this didn't even know about this. Can't be that in demand of a feature i guess.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions