Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61
  1. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Yup. During hurricanes when towers were getting hammered by people simultaneously trying to keep in touch and updated, calls would rarely go through but texts were still reliable.
    Yep. Which is part of the reason why everyone complains about the price of text messages. They practically cost the providers nothing extra since they are using a channel that is already established by just having your phone on.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And let's not forget how AT&T data plans provide their customers free access to AT&T's extensive wifi network - to help fill in all those 3G holes their current coverage offers ... so they can still talk and surf using the 2G coverage they're more likely to find.
    yeah they can have all the talk and surf they want, I will keep my 80+ bucks a month
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    You're wrong, bud. Sorry. You just made my point that most users don't even know the difference. And please understand I'm not talking down to you. It's just something you've not researched.

    Phone calls DO NOT override data.
    You need to go back and do some research it would seem. Look up "Data Dedicated Transmission Mode" and report back with your findings. Also, I assume you're only discussing 1xRTT. This isn't an issue with EVDO.

    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    The growing awareness of this problem is one of the main drivers for cdma evolving in a more gsm-like technology with each passing year. A buddy of mine, who works for Vzw, said Vz isn't waiting around for cdma to change and will be switching to gsm within a couple of years.
    I think what your VZW buddy (is everyone your buddy? Are you one of those guys?) told you is VZW launches its LTE (Long Term Evolution) or 4G network next year (~10 months from now). LTE is also one of the 4G technologies many GSM networks are evolving to (although it's not actually GSM technology). Maybe your buddy can explain it to you better next time you see him.
  4. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    You're wrong, bud. Sorry. You just made my point that most users don't even know the difference. And please understand I'm not talking down to you. It's just something you've not researched.
    Every phone on the network is using what is called the control channel. This always open channel is what the phone and the base station use to communicate. It is used to establish voice channels, data channels, initiate hand-offs between towers, text messaging, etc. So even while you are using a voice or data channel (1x for voice or EVDO for data), the control channel is still in use and still communicating with the tower.

    So say you are transferring data over EVDO, and someone calls you. The base station tells your phone that there is an incoming call. Your phone says 'ok', ends the EVDO session, tells the base station to close the EVDO channel and open a 1x channel for the phone call (assuming you answer the call).

    Or, say you are currently in a call and someone calls you. The base station tells your phone of the incoming call over the control channel. This is how call waiting or 3 way calling is supported.

    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    The growing awareness of this problem is one of the main drivers for cdma evolving in a more gsm-like technology with each passing year. A buddy of mine, who works for Vzw, said Vz isn't waiting around for cdma to change and will be switching to gsm within a couple of years.
    Verizon will not be switching their current CDMA network to GSM. That would cost tens of billions of dollars and they would have to replace nearly all of their customers phones (except the dual CDMA/GSM phones). However, Verizon has picked LTE (Long Term Evolution) as their 4G network. LTE is being devoloped by the 3GPP the same group that developed UMTS/HSPA that most of the world uses for 3G data.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You need to go back and do some research it would seem. Look up "Data Dedicated Transmission Mode" and report back with your findings. Also, I assume you're only discussing 1xRTT. This isn't an issue with EVDO.
    Then the evdo must be the difference because I'm testing a Sprint phone right now with the link I posted and incoming phone calls are going directly to voicemail. Unacceptable for me and my company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    LTE is also one of the 4G technologies many GSM networks are evolving to (although it's not actually GSM technology).
    That's probably why I called it gsm-like. Sounds like we're on the same page with this one.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  6. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Then the evdo must be the difference because I'm testing a Sprint phone right now with the link I posted and incoming phone calls are going directly to voicemail. Unacceptable for me and my company.
    Is there a '1x' icon or an 'EV' icon on the phone?
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Is there a '1x' icon or an 'EV' icon on the phone?
    Yep, only 1x is available where we live and work in central/southern NM. Well, that's good news. It sounds like sprint is at least addressing one of the three major weaknesses of cdma.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Yep, only 1x is available where we live and work in central/southern NM. Well, that's good news. It sounds like sprint is at least addressing one of the three major weaknesses of cdma.
    Ha ha! Major weaknesses. As opposed to "minor" weaknesses like limited coverage area, mediocre voice quality, and excessive dropped call rates. Got it.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    Where do you live that there's free Wifi at a ton of public places? Down here in Miami the probability of finding a free open Wifi access point is near nil. Everything is either protected with WPA or pay-for-use.
    I'm in Connecticut - I have wifi both at home and work, and every corner seems to have a Starbucks or other coffee shop with free wifi. Even the music store that my son takes lessons offers wifi for waiting parents.

    And I can't remember the last time I didn't have EVDO service...so I recognize how lucky I am.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Yep, only 1x is available where we live and work in central/southern NM. Well, that's good news. It sounds like sprint is at least addressing one of the three major weaknesses of cdma.
    Sorry to be so blunt but you are absolutely full of ****

    You say that you were so mad when you switched from T-Mo and couldn't call and data at the same time.

    You also say that you are in South/Central NM.

    Well, T-Mo didn't have any 3G coverage anywhere in NM in June, when you got your Pre. So you're absolutely full of ****. On your EDGE or GPRS, you wouldn't have been able to talk and use data at the same time. And you still wouldn't be able to today unless you live at the very end of 25 near the Texas border, as that's the only southern/central part of NM that has T-Mo 3G right now.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    Where do you live that there's free Wifi at a ton of public places? Down here in Miami the probability of finding a free open Wifi access point is near nil. Everything is either protected with WPA or pay-for-use.
    You would be surprised by the number of restaurants in Downtown Miami and Brickell that are providing free WiFi. In Miami Beach they are even connecting a free WiMax service.
    Last edited by downsouth11; 12/01/2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Adding Quote
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    You also say that you are in South/Central NM.
    Yep, that's what I said; I know where I live. Did I say anywhere in my post that I lived in the same place when I had T-mobile? Wow, with ASSumption skillz like yours, I bet you have a lot of life-long friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Sorry to be so blunt but you are absolutely full of ****
    Magic 8 ball says it's the other way 'round.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  13. JKTex's Avatar
    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    #53  
    Speaking of T-Mobile.....

    I understand they have or are close to completing updating their network to 3G Pro which provides speeds that match what 4G does now.

    I also thought Vz was doing the same, not Pro but another advanced 3G that slips my mind right now.

    I still think Sprint's 4g is a marketing thing to fool people into thinking they are so far ahead when a little carrier like T-Mo seems to have made a bigger step (after falling way short for so long) And isn't Sprint's 4g currently only in about 3 markets and is available only to data devices.
  14. #54  
    FYI, the CDMA Development Group did complete their "CDMA2000 1X Advanced" standard which includes:
    A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure.

    I guess the real question is, with 4G underway (WiMAX and LTE), will Sprint and Verizon invest in SVDO?
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Yep, that's what I said; I know where I live. Did I say anywhere in my post that I lived in the same place when I had T-mobile? Wow, with ASSumption skillz like yours, I bet you have a lot of life-long friends.


    Magic 8 ball says it's the other way 'round.
    Your posts specifically say that you gave up your T-Mo to get the Pre. Your posts specifically say that you were majorly disappointed that the Pre can't do data and voice at the same time. Those are facts, not assumptions.

    T-Mo didn't have 3G anywhere until late 2008. So you put up with this terrible inconvenience for AT LEAST 5 years, and then you're going to turn around and blast Sprint and CDMA in general for not supporting a feature that you probably didn't have before the Pre, or at least lived without for a LONG time. That is ridiculous regardless of whether some of my incidental assumptions were incorrect.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Your posts specifically say that you gave up your T-Mo to get the Pre. Your posts specifically say that you were majorly disappointed that the Pre can't do data and voice at the same time. Those are facts, not assumptions.

    T-Mo didn't have 3G anywhere until late 2008. So you put up with this terrible inconvenience for AT LEAST 5 years, and then you're going to turn around and blast Sprint and CDMA in general for not supporting a feature that you probably didn't have before the Pre, or at least lived without for a LONG time. That is ridiculous regardless of whether some of my incidental assumptions were incorrect.
    don't bother arguing. he's just one of those people who must always be right, even when he's not. he has been on a GSM crusade for years now...as far back as 2005 on this board alone, and is still using technological rhetoric from that time period.

    if he wants to think he know's it all, then let him.
  17. #57  
    <moved>
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Your posts specifically say that you gave up your T-Mo to get the Pre. Your posts specifically say that you were majorly disappointed that the Pre can't do data and voice at the same time. Those are facts, not assumptions.
    T-Mo didn't have 3G anywhere until late 2008. So you put up with this terrible inconvenience for AT LEAST 5 years, and then you're going to turn around and blast Sprint and CDMA in general for not supporting a feature that you probably didn't have before the Pre, or at least lived without for a LONG time. That is ridiculous regardless of whether some of my incidental assumptions were incorrect.
    No, wrong again, Mr. Assumption. No way was I going to live with that inconvenience. Yes, I WAS majorly disappointed that the Pre can't do data and voice at the same time. But, of course, I knew THAT before I got it. If you'd bother to read my post you'd see I didn't say that's why I got rid of it.
    What DID I say was the main reason in the last paragraph? Right. I didn't know I couldn't send emails while on a call. I've been able to do that with ATT since I signed up in October of 1995 (a fact I posted on this forum at that time). I gave up an old t-mobile plan I'd had for 9 years at that time. As already mentioned, I finally gave up a 1993 t-mobile plan last June for the Pre.
    I currently (personally) use 4 different cellphones with 3 networks for various reasons and I pay the monthly bills on 12 cellphones. 755p's are still my "workhorse" smartphone. I couldn't run my businesses without them.
    Right now I've got one verizon phone that's kinda on the fritz so I'll probably get a droid or an eris this weekend to see if it might be a good replacement for my 755p's since they're starting to get maxed-out. Searching for a good replacement is why I keep checking here once in a while.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  19. Queueyou's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #59  
    Didn't someone hack the download speed limit and afterwords posted that they were able to maintain a call and data at the same time? IIRC, it was about 2 months ago that he posted it. Some hack to break download limit from 64 or something to that effect.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    Searching for a good replacement is why I keep checking here once in a while.
    i REALLY hope that Droid or Eris works out for you so you can go argue with the Android boards instead.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions