Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Can't be that in demand of a feature i guess.
    no no no youre wrong! wifi in itself is a make or break a deal feature!!!! everyone here uses wifi aaaaaaaaaaall the time!!!! are you mad, man???? all wifi all the time!!!!

/sarcasm
    i had mentioned an example in another thread about multitasking and will give it here which shows it can be important...

but one thing that gsm advantaged phone will be able to do that pre will never on Sprint... be on a call, run an app that requires data access... i can be on a call, run my Etrade app or Bank of America app or WebEx or Citrix Receiver app and maintain a connection and access my accounts online.

It's come in handy many times in personal and business calls where I can be on a call and be able to access data... even to open a browser to google something or open my weather app to check on weather for planned meeting later that day or talk about the market with buddy and bring up current market info or news with my stock apps or cnbc news app.

just a few examples. again, if you have wifi, then you can get by. but when not available, it sucks.

This.

Everyone I talked to about this didn't even know about this. Can't be that in demand of a feature i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

but one thing that gsm advantaged phone will be able to do that pre will never on Sprint...
    never say never....

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon
    lol... someone close to me always tells me that and i should know better

not surprised... CDMA has always had the ability and companies like Verizon has had the technology to do so... never knew why they didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    lol... someone close to me always tells me that and i should know better

not surprised... CDMA has always had the ability and companies like Verizon has had the technology to do so... never knew why they didnt.
    i dunno. it's not a big deal for me personally, but it would certainly be nice to have.

between that link and 4G's capabilities, it SHOULD end up being a moot point for all carriers in the near future.

the only thing that i have gathered from all this carrier bickering is that the iPhone won't be coming to Verizon anytime soon......haha.
    Last edited by chud311; 11/29/2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    yeah I understand the situations where it can be neat and useful. But I have never really been in the situation where I needed to do voice and data at the same time.

Calling/talking is probably one of the things I do the least on my phone. Most of the communication I do is with texting actually. So most of the time, if someone has a question for me that I would need to answer, they text and I can look it up and text back.
    Simultaneous data and voice is only possible with HSPA/UMTS. On EDGE/GPRS, only one connection at a time is possible (voice or data).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I think it depends on where you live - I have wifi at work, home, and at a ton of public places, so it's hard for me to find too many places without access to phone / data simultaneously....although I can't remember the last time I really needed it.
    Where do you live that there's free Wifi at a ton of public places? Down here in Miami the probability of finding a free open Wifi access point is near nil. Everything is either protected with WPA or pay-for-use.
    i dunno. it's not a big deal for me personally, but it would certainly be nice to have.
    This longtime CDMA limitation affects you and millions of other verizon and sprint users in ways you just accept, or aren't aware you've accepted. Like, for example, how you've sometimes waited for an important call from someone and you missed it even though you're positive you didn't hear the phone ring, or important text messages delayed for hours, or missing critical emails because you were on a phone call.

It blows my mind that cdma users apparently do not understand this is smartphone behavior they don't have to accept. GSM (T-mobile and ATT) technology alerts you to an incoming phone call while a web is loading, asking if you want to take the call. GSM is crucial if you have a life or job where you can't miss phone calls.

GSM is also much more reliable with SMS. This is super-important in my business. We each use thousands of texts per month and they must flow like conversation. Sprint/Vzw delays would cost us thousands of dollars in lost business.

One of the most frustrating issues with cdma is the inability to receive or send an email while on the phone. Again, I can't believe people don't know these differences. Temporarily being without these functionalities when I switched to the pre/sprint last june 6th about drove me up a tree. Unfortunately, the Pre couldn't handle my business like my treo 755p so I gave it up. The really angering thing (as an aside that I'm still not able to get over) was I lost a t-mobile grandfathered plan I'd held onto since 1993.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Phone calls always override any data usage. Texts push through while using data. Emails, yes, won't come through while on a call.

Again, calls always come through.

I have had many more complaints from GSM users (especially AT&T) about poor SMS reliability.

I agree the inability to not send or receive emails can be a negative to some users.

I said, FOR ME PERSONALLY and here you are practically talking down to me, implying that I do not know the limitations of CDMA in regards to it's current state.

If you are such a guru on the topic, perhaps you should have known better than to have left GSM in the first place if that is what works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    It blows my mind that cdma users apparently do not understand this is smartphone behavior they don't have to accept. GSM (T-mobile and ATT) technology alerts you to an incoming phone call while a web is loading, asking if you want to take the call. GSM is crucial if you have a life or job where you can't miss phone calls.
    I guess you've never heard of CPOP then, have you? No missed calls due to data on Verizon. Maybe you overgeneralize when you say "CDMA."

One of the most frustrating issues with cdma is the inability to receive or send an email while on the phone.
    Since this is a 3G only capability with AT&T, how is it you became so hooked on it in only 18 months? Does it also frustrate you that your dropped call rate is 3-4 times worse than the CDMA rate? I'm curious which situation you think is worse: telling someone you'll read/send that (seemingly emergency-status) email right after you hang up or just having the connection suddenly drop (probably again) in the middle of a conversation while you attempt to read/send that (seemingly emergency status) email? I vote for the former - the latter will lose me clients.

Phone calls always override any data usage.
    If you're referring to Sprint, this is not true. Sprint chose to skip the CPOP update with the result being voice calls go to email if there's an active (as opposed to dormant) data connection in progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    Where do you live that there's free Wifi at a ton of public places? Down here in Miami the probability of finding a free open Wifi access point is near nil. Everything is either protected with WPA or pay-for-use.
    In the portland area, I can think of atleast 4 places 5 minutes from me with free wifi
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If you're referring to Sprint, this is not true. Sprint chose to skip the CPOP update with the result being voice calls go to email if there's an active (as opposed to dormant) data connection in progress.
    I believe CPOP only refers to data sessions with 1x. If a user is transferring data over EVDO on Sprint, the call will still come through. It is only if the data session is on 1x that the call won't.
    I believe CPOP only refers to data sessions with 1x. If a user is transferring data over EVDO on Sprint, the call will still come through. It is only if the data session is on 1x that the call won't.
    I believe you are correct. Thanks for clarifying that for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    In the portland area, I can think of atleast 4 places 5 minutes from me with free wifi
    And let's not forget how AT&T data plans provide their customers free access to AT&T's extensive wifi network - to help fill in all those 3G holes their current coverage offers ... so they can still talk and surf using the 2G coverage they're more likely to find.
    it works on 1x.
    Phone calls always override any data usage. Texts push through while using data. Emails, yes, won't come through while on a call. Again, calls always come through.
    You're wrong, bud. Sorry. You just made my point that most users don't even know the difference. And please understand I'm not talking down to you. It's just something you've not researched.

Have a buddy time a phone call to you at exactly the same time you are loading a web page. Since timing is, of course, the whole point, make sure you're loading a large enough page to clearly illustrate this issue. This url's a good one to use: http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tr...f=146&offset=0 With this test you'll see for yourself one of the huge deficiencies of cdma: Phone calls DO NOT override data.

The growing awareness of this problem is one of the main drivers for cdma evolving in a more gsm-like technology with each passing year. A buddy of mine, who works for Vzw, said Vz isn't waiting around for cdma to change and will be switching to gsm within a couple of years.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Also, texts will go through while using data or on a phone call. Text messages are sent through the control channel. So it doesn't matter if another channel is setup for a voice or data session.
    You're wrong, bud. Sorry. You just made my point that most users don't even know the difference. And please understand I'm not talking down to you. It's just something you've not researched.

Have a buddy time a phone call to you at exactly the same time you are loading a web page. Since timing is, of course, the whole point, make sure you're loading a large enough page to clearly illustrate this issue. This url's a good one to use: http://dev.tikiwiki.org/tiki-view_tr...f=146&offset=0 With this test you'll see for yourself one of the huge deficiencies of cdma: Phone calls DO NOT override data.

The growing awareness of this problem is one of the main drivers for cdma evolving in a more gsm-like technology with each passing year. A buddy of mine, who works for Vzw, said Vz isn't waiting around for cdma to change and will be switching to gsm within a couple of years.
    They're not switching to GSM, they are going LTE which is sort of like a GSM/CDMA hybrid.

and i am sitting here with a Pre and a Pixi, both on 1x, and i loaded multiple data intensive pages while calling each phone. every call went through every time, buddy.
    Also, texts will go through while using data or on a phone call. Text messages are sent through the control channel. So it doesn't matter if another channel is setup for a voice or data session.
    Yup. During hurricanes when towers were getting hammered by people simultaneously trying to keep in touch and updated, calls would rarely go through but texts were still reliable.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast