1.    #1  
    An Update is available for the PRL on the phone aka, preferred roaming list. this applies to sprint users only.

for some an updated PRL helps ensure a stable signal and can result in better battery life.

the new version is 60657

this update can be accessed by going to the phone dialpad, select preferences, and update PRL

you can check your current version by going to the device info, selecting more info, scroll down to see your current PRL

the PRL helps your phone know where and what tower frequencies it should look for when roaming. it also tells your phone which provider is the best choice, so that if there are several options available, the phone will use the best one according to sprint.

if you live or travel to an area that often has your Pre or Pixi switching between roaming and not roaming, a PRL update may help your phone select one over the other, and faster.

for example if new towers have been placed in the area that used to be roaming, it may help in selecting the best tower provider for you, without lots of searching and signal instability.

the definition of "for You" is also based on agreements sprint has with other roaming partners, not just signal strength.

for many people they will not see an effect, however, the update should not hurt anything.

cheers

*updated for accuracy, re acquisition table and PRL search frequency/time NOT specific towers, thanks to deparson for pointing it out.
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/24/2009 at 03:28 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    FYI..this has been available for some time...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJoe View Post
    FYI..this has been available for some time...
    thanks

I don't think it has been available more than 3 weeks, that was when i downloaded the prior version. I only updated this recently however.

I am posting it here so as a service to those in signal poor areas, who aren't familiar with PRL and what it may mean to them. It makes a difference to me when i visit my wifes parents, who live in an area where i would switch to Verizon all the time, even though a sprint signal was available, I no longer have that issue, and battery life in there home has changed dramatically.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Cool. Glad to hear it helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    thanks

I don't think it has been available more than 3 weeks, that was when i downloaded the prior version. I only updated this recently however.

I am posting it here so as a service to those in signal poor areas, who aren't familiar with PRL and what it may mean to them. It makes a difference to me when i visit my wifes parents, who live in an area where i would switch to Verizon all the time, even though a sprint signal was available, I no longer have that issue, and battery life in there home has changed dramatically.
    Wind- How exactly can you tell when you have a Verizon EVDO signal as opposed to Sprint's? I know they're both CDMA, but when the phone is showing 'R' for roaming, it won't show EVDO at the same time (unless i missed it).
    i could be wrong here dbd (that's a shocker) but I was under the impression that there is no evdo roaming, just 1x....maybe its just my area. But I have to use the roam only tweak alot and I have never seen roaming and evdo...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    i could be wrong here dbd (that's a shocker) but I was under the impression that there is no evdo roaming, just 1x....maybe its just my area. But I have to use the roam only tweak alot and I have never seen roaming and evdo...
    Heh heh. I've never seen that either, but i'll be on the lookout for it. Thanx, Mr. L. Punk.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Apparently Sprint has no EVDO roaming agreements with Verizon, only 1X. Sprint does/did have EVDO agreements with Alltell, from what I understand. This is discussed elsewhere on the forum.
    yes i have roamed on alltel and did infact reciev evdo, however any verizon tower im on will not allow evdo. kind of a shame tho, that would be really nice.
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    The PRL does NOT tell your phone anything about towers. It simply tells your phone which carriers, by market, it is allowed to roam on and in what order it should attempt to select them.

The only impact of a new PRL would be if Sprint added a new roaming partner (they already roam on nearly all CDMA carriers) or changed the order of roaming; e.g. moved Alltell above Verizon in a given market.

It seems that every few weeks someone posts another PRL misinformation snip-it and causes a lot of people confussion about what it does and does not do.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    The PRL does NOT tell your phone anything about towers. It simply tells your phone which carriers, by market, it is allowed to roam on and in what order it should attempt to select them.

The only impact of a new PRL would be if Sprint added a new roaming partner (they already roam on nearly all CDMA carriers) or changed the order of roaming; e.g. moved Alltell above Verizon in a given market.

It seems that every few weeks someone posts another PRL misinformation snip-it and causes a lot of people confussion about what it does and does not do.
    I thought this is not the only way users might see a change, I think what you are talking about is the system table part of PRL.

subtle but, the acquisition table may be updated, based on the geography of the primary user, so that the frequency which are searched are smaller, thus reducing search time and the amount of bouncing around signal wise that can be seen.

or so is my understanding, i read wikipedia before hand to make sure I wasn't too out of line. but i updated my original post to make it more accurate and less about specific individual towers.

I also went ahead and read a little from the CDMA development group that defines PRL for the industry. which was linked to on sprints support forums by one of the employee's

here is what they had to say

"2.3 Function of the Preferred Roaming List
    The PRL assists the mobile in the acquisition and system selection process as governed
    by the system determination algorithms of the particular implementation. The PRL
    informs the device’s system determination function as to which systems are permitted,
    preferred and prohibited. The use of a PRL speeds up acquisition and provides the
    operator with flexibility in specifying mobile search behavior in both the home and
    roaming markets.

they also state that the aquisition table is used for reducing and specifying search frequencies.

what i did not know, and find interesting, is that it has a role within home markets, not just roaming.

thanks for your comment though, as I was not being accurate and conflating tower with frequency, and all. and you are correct there is often alot of confusion on this issue.

also, perhaps these don't apply to sprint? do they use a different type of PRL that dosn't use aquisition tables? I would assume that they use the industry standards, however I certainly don't know all the details, but i do know that my signal improved, my wife, who has not updated her pre's PRL still has the roaming bouncing and battery life issue.

FYI, i foolishly just went to double check this on with a chat at sprint, and the person responding said

1)it isn't a list of partners that you can roam with
    2) it dosn't effect your roaming.

I don't think that is
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/24/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    PRL misinformation
    two good snippets:

Wikipedia

Phonescoop

Nothing to do with towers, everything to do with acquisition (frequency blocks to scan) and preferred roaming partners in each geographic area.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    two good snippets:

Wikipedia

Phonescoop

Nothing to do with towers, everything to do with acquisition (frequency blocks to scan) and preferred roaming partners in each geographic area.
    see above, for a more detailed link, and the clarifications made in the original post.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    see above
    duelling posts! you edited and I posted at the same time. the article was a good read - i too thought somehow there was a "tower list" built in there ...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    duelling posts! you edited and I posted at the same time. the article was a good read - i too thought somehow there was a "tower list" built in there ...
    yea I was thinking more "area list" of some kind, not entirely accurate, nice duelling though

da da dingding dingding ding-ding-ding
    There are four lights.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Wind- How exactly can you tell when you have a Verizon EVDO signal as opposed to Sprint's? I know they're both CDMA, but when the phone is showing 'R' for roaming, it won't show EVDO at the same time (unless i missed it).
    like was said above, the verizon data roaming is via 1xrtt.

for myself, i know that my wife's parent's house has a verizon signal because prior to a year ago, when i had verizon they had no signal. then verizon put up a tower on a sportsmans club some 600 yards away and they had signal like crazy.

when i got sprint, there was a sprint signal mixed in there, but it bounced everywhere all the time and drained battery. a prior PRL update helped a little, but this most recent one really locked me in.
    There are four lights.
    like was said above, the verizon data roaming is via 1xrtt.

for myself, i know that my wife's parent's house has a verizon signal because prior to a year ago, when i had verizon they had no signal. then verizon put up a tower on a sportsmans club some 600 yards away and they had signal like crazy.

when i got sprint, there was a sprint signal mixed in there, but it bounced everywhere all the time and drained battery. a prior PRL update helped a little, but this most recent one really locked me in.
    Thanx Windzilla, and to everyone else who helped make sense of everything.
    The alltel towers still provide EVDO. If you are in an area where you don't get 3g but have an alltel tower you can see this by switching to "EVDO only" mode (##EVDO# in phone app). Even with roaming turned off you will still connect to the alltel tower and get "roaming" evdo. The only problem with this method is that you can't receive phone calls or text messages in EVDO only. Also, when you send a txt or make a call it drops down to 1x, then loses connection completely before connecting back to the alltel EVDO.

I found a solution to this today, take a look http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gstaff-az.html