1.    #1  
    I'm going to keep this short and to the point so that it might help someone else that's in a similar situation.
    I received my most recent bill which was 240 minutes over my monthly 450 minutes. Looking closer at the bill I realized the unlimited calls to any cell promotion was not being honored. In my house I get 1 bar of Sprint service which dropped calls all the time. Thanks to the "Roam Only Toggle" homebrew app by user samkim I leave my phone on roam while at home and thought nothing of it since I was told there are no roaming charges. I spoke to sprint customer service and apparently when you are roaming the unlimited cell to cell promotion is not in effect and therefore will use up your minutes. Thankfully Sprint credited my account the $125.00 extra that I was charged. I had Sprint years ago, then i switched to Verizon and then AT&T and now back to Sprint. They have always given me the best customer experience and for that I will remain a Sprint customer despite poor reception where I live. (I did put in a request to have a tower put in my area).
    So just a warning out there to all the fellow Sprint customers, when you are roaming and calling another cell phone it is using your minutes.
  2. cwb
    Try asking for an airave. i have the same problem and they gave me an airave to boost the signal. if you have cable internet it uses that signal and then you don't use any minutes at all.
    this has been posted before, roaming uses airtime minutes and not considered any cell
    From the Sprint website:

Any Mobile, Anytime: Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using independent third-party and Sprint databases. Available with select Sprint plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods).
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ...what Sprint does tell you... In the fine print.
    get an airwave
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwb View Post
    Try asking for an airave. i have the same problem and they gave me an airave to boost the signal. if you have cable internet it uses that signal and then you don't use any minutes at all.
    Nice! I didn't know of this product. Did they give you this for free?
    I am seeing the following on the Sprint Site.

Pricing
    Sprint AIRAVE Base Station - $99.99/each (requires activation at time of purchase and subscription to an AIRAVE plan. Excludes taxes.)
    AIRAVE Enhanced Coverage Charge - $4.99/mo. (required per AIRAVE unit)**
    Single Line Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $10/mo. per account**
    Multi-Line (multiple phones sharing minutes on one account) Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $20/mo. per account**
    I think it was 2006 or 2007 when they also changed their policy that if you roamed for over 50% of your usage for 3 consecutive months that Sprint will terminate your contract on you. The good news is that since they are terminating your contract that you don't have to pay the early termination fee. So if you become unhappy with Sprint, just turn on Roam Only for 3 months and move on.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    It is free in some areas. The same thing just happened to me. The waved my over-minutes fees and are sending me the airave for free and not charging me the monthly fee either.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    I think it was 2006 or 2007 when they also changed their policy that if you roamed for over 50% of your usage for 3 consecutive months that Sprint will terminate your contract on you. The good news is that since they are terminating your contract that you don't have to pay the early termination fee. So if you become unhappy with Sprint, just turn on Roam Only for 3 months and move on.
    I'm actually on an employee advantage plan, 20/month for unlimited everything. I was told by my brother-in-law that the exact number is 800 mins of roam and your account is terminated, then more or less deleted. If you call its like they've lost all record of you.

Since my signal is so bad I barely get roam outside at my house this is an issue.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    If you call and complain, and mention that you got better service from a competiting provider, they should give you one for free (that is how I got mine). They will bill you for it, but then they also give you a credit to cover it. The cost of the service is $4.99/month, and some folks on the board have gotten them to waive that fee, and some haven't. I have to pay it, but it is worth it since I now get 4 bars all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by janter View Post
    Nice! I didn't know of this product. Did they give you this for free?
    I am seeing the following on the Sprint Site.

Pricing
    Sprint AIRAVE Base Station - $99.99/each (requires activation at time of purchase and subscription to an AIRAVE plan. Excludes taxes.)
    AIRAVE Enhanced Coverage Charge - $4.99/mo. (required per AIRAVE unit)**
    Single Line Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $10/mo. per account**
    Multi-Line (multiple phones sharing minutes on one account) Unlimited Calling Plan (optional) - $20/mo. per account**
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    What do you do if you're in an area that Sprint markets heavily in, but relies on a competitor's towers to give you the signal. My brother lives in rural southern Oregon where they have a mom and pop cell company. His closest large city is 28 miles away, and on the way in there is a large Sprint corporate store. He was interested in the Any Mobile Anytime promos that he had been seeing, and went in and talked to them. (He was interested in them since I have Sprint, and always got good coverage when I visited, but others with Verizon, AT&T, and Tmobile phones didn't). They signed him up for three Blackberrys and an Everything Family Data plan. But when he's in his small town, he is in a roaming area. It would seem to me that the Sprint dealer knows about this, since their map shows it. Most of his time will be spent roaming. What would Sprint do about this, since they knowingly sold him a phone that would be used in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    I'm actually on an employee advantage plan, 20/month for unlimited everything. I was told by my brother-in-law that the exact number is 800 mins of roam and your account is terminated, then more or less deleted. If you call its like they've lost all record of you.

Since my signal is so bad I barely get roam outside at my house this is an issue.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Here's another thread on the issue: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...d-roaming.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post

The limit is 800 minutes if on an unlimited minute plan (Simply Everything), or 50% of your allotted minutes if on another plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What do you do if you're in an area that Sprint markets heavily in, but relies on a competitor's towers to give you the signal. My brother lives in rural southern Oregon where they have a mom and pop cell company. His closest large city is 28 miles away, and on the way in there is a large Sprint corporate store. He was interested in the Any Mobile Anytime promos that he had been seeing, and went in and talked to them. (He was interested in them since I have Sprint, and always got good coverage when I visited, but others with Verizon, AT&T, and Tmobile phones didn't). They signed him up for three Blackberrys and an Everything Family Data plan. But when he's in his small town, he is in a roaming area. It would seem to me that the Sprint dealer knows about this, since their map shows it. Most of his time will be spent roaming. What would Sprint do about this, since they knowingly sold him a phone that would be used in that area?
    In that case they should not have sold the phone to him. Roaming costs Sprint money. Yes it added a new subscriber, but that subscriber also could easily cost Sprint money as opposed to making money, so it would be a net loss overall and not worth the business to the company. It actually is in the policy if the customer is going to be using most of their minutes while roaming to not sell them the phone because they will be a liability to the company financially.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    They actually sold him three lines. But I'm sure they'll make money off of him. Between all three phones, if they use more than 300-400 minutes a month, that way above their average. But I agree with you, the store should never have sold him a phone. If he runs into issues with that, what recourse would he have? Sprint cancels him because he used too much roaming, but his defense is you sold me the phone knowing where I live. So far he hasn't had any issues, but we'll see what happens in 6 months or so.

It is frustrating -- I've always had great coverage here at home -- with the rumor and razr type phones. Bought the Pre and I can't make calls from inside. Don't have broadband or cable or wireless so I can't use an airave. I just don't 'get' why other sprint phones worked just fine, but the PRE doesn't. I'd like to hook up an old phone but I've already got two phones and a data line and get can't another line apparently. As much as I love this phone, I wish I'd have thought it through better the first 30 days -- I wouldn't have traded up. When the phone app is the worst thing on the phone, it really makes loving the PRE difficult.