Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to add a line to account to get phone at discounted rate, and then a month later cancel out the line and do an ESn swap on the phone to keep it. I wouldn't be charged an early termination fee since I'll still have my contract would I?
  2. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #2  
    ETF is per line not per account so you would be charged a $200 etf. Read your terms and conditions if any questions.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostyroasty View Post
    Is it possible to add a line to account to get phone at discounted rate, and then a month later cancel out the line and do an ESn swap on the phone to keep it. I wouldn't be charged an early termination fee since I'll still have my contract would I?
    What phone are you looking at?

    If you go to EBay, you can find new phones relatively cheap. Some seem to be as cheap as the subsidized phones from the carriers. Also if you buy it outright, you can normally get a 30 day contract with the carrier, so you don't have to worry about a 2 year contract and early termination fees.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  4.    #4  
    I want to get a tour, mainly for it's Gsm capabilities. At my work location, I get a VERY weak to nonexistent signal, and I know that Gsm users get a fine signal. I'd love to be able to make a call when needed without having to go outdoors, but I don't want to pay $500 for the luxury, lol.
    thanks for the responses.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostyroasty View Post
    I want to get a tour, mainly for it's Gsm capabilities. At my work location, I get a VERY weak to nonexistent signal, and I know that Gsm users get a fine signal. I'd love to be able to make a call when needed without having to go outdoors, but I don't want to pay $500 for the luxury, lol.
    thanks for the responses.
    Understood. You can find Refurbished Tours on Ebay for under $300. Just a thought!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  6. #6  
    go to Best Buy.

    add line.

    get Tour.

    leave store.

    call Sprint while walking to car.

    cancel line.

    Best Buy buys the phones from Sprint so Sprint already got paid and they don't care what you do with the phone. Best Buy doesn't have a process in place to check whether or not you cancelled the line.
  7. Tmac923's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    go to Best Buy.

    add line.

    get Tour.

    leave store.

    call Sprint while walking to car.

    cancel line.

    Best Buy buys the phones from Sprint so Sprint already got paid and they don't care what you do with the phone. Best Buy doesn't have a process in place to check whether or not you cancelled the line.
    Does this really work? Has anyone tried this with luck?
  8. Spunky424's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #8  
    Yea i'm also curious to know if this is true.
  9. #9  
    idk but this sounds like stealing to me . Be careful you could get burned in the end.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10. #10  
    yes it works and no its not stealing.
  11. #11  
    That is what I did to get a Blackberry. I had a Treo Pro which I couldn't stand. I got the BB Curve as a new line of service and swapped numbers between the phones. After 20 days, I cancelled the new line of service. I was ready to have to pay an ETF or something so I could keep the BB, but nothing was said. I purchased in a corporate store, and canceled over the phone.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostyroasty View Post
    Is it possible to add a line to account to get phone at discounted rate, and then a month later cancel out the line and do an ESn swap on the phone to keep it. I wouldn't be charged an early termination fee since I'll still have my contract would I?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    That is what I did to get a Blackberry. I had a Treo Pro which I couldn't stand. I got the BB Curve as a new line of service and swapped numbers between the phones. After 20 days, I cancelled the new line of service. I was ready to have to pay an ETF or something so I could keep the BB, but nothing was said. I purchased in a corporate store, and canceled over the phone.
    I would most likely do it at a Radio Shack... I would get the phone, keep the new line for a few days, then cancel the line and do an esn swap on the phone. Would they not ask for the phone to be returned?
  13. #13  
    I also wonder if it made his old line a new 2 year contract?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  14.    #14  
    2 year contract I dont mind... I'm on a family plan right now with 4 lines. just added and signed a new contract in August.
  15. #15  
    I would do the swap as soon as you get the phone. I did, since I wanted the Blackberry, not the Treo. When I called to cancel the line, I thought they would ask me to send the phone back, at which point I would say I want to keep it and pay for it. They saw that I had a Treo Pro on the line, and didn't ask me to return it, and I didn't volunteer to. The phone transaction was seperate from the line activation/cancellation. All I lost out on was the rebate. So I paid $149 for the BB Curve, not $49.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostyroasty View Post
    I would most likely do it at a Radio Shack... I would get the phone, keep the new line for a few days, then cancel the line and do an esn swap on the phone. Would they not ask for the phone to be returned?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostyroasty View Post
    I would most likely do it at a Radio Shack... I would get the phone, keep the new line for a few days, then cancel the line and do an esn swap on the phone. Would they not ask for the phone to be returned?
    I don't know that Radio Shack operates the same as Best Buy.
  17. #17  
    Shack has a secondary contract, just like Amazon. I don't think best buy has one.
  18. yoshk's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    yes it works and no its not stealing.
    How exactly does getting a $600 blackberry for free not count as stealing. Especially since Best Buy will never receive their money from Sprint since the line was cancelled. It's theft plain and simple.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    How exactly does getting a $600 blackberry for free not count as stealing. Especially since Best Buy will never receive their money from Sprint since the line was cancelled. It's theft plain and simple.
    No. It's not. The phones at Best Buy have been paid for up front by Best Buy. If they decide to sell it to you for a hundred dollars or one dollar is up to them.

    You are cancelling the service contract with Sprint.

    Best Buy does not make you sign a contract with them in order to get the phone at the price you pay them.



    It's not theft, plain and simple.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    No. It's not. The phones at Best Buy have been paid for up front by Best Buy. If they decide to sell it to you for a hundred dollars or one dollar is up to them.

    You are cancelling the service contract with Sprint.

    Best Buy does not make you sign a contract with them in order to get the phone at the price you pay them.



    It's not theft, plain and simple.
    I am sure Best Buy's plan was to give out free phones...
    Thank me if I helped you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions