Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just saw this. Sprint lights up WiMAX in NC, Chicago and Dallas, launches subsidized Mini 10

I know the pre doesnt have a 4G radio. But whats the best way i can take advantage of living in a city that has 4G? Is it an extra cost on sprint? Can i get a phone that has 4G and tether it to my laptop? if so which phone? HTC hero?

Anyone have any thoughts, comments?
    Sprint does not have any 4G phones. Right now it's WiMAX card only.

Quote Originally Posted by emikey View Post
    I just saw this. Sprint lights up WiMAX in NC, Chicago and Dallas, launches subsidized Mini 10

I know the pre doesnt have a 4G radio. But whats the best way i can take advantage of living in a city that has 4G? Is it an extra cost on sprint? Can i get a phone that has 4G and tether it to my laptop? if so which phone? HTC hero?

WiMax hasn't been getting real good reviews. They'll have to make it a lot better before they start offering it on phones.

Customers Unhappy With Early Clearwire Launches - Poor customer support, low speeds, and high latency... - dslreports.com
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

First off, Clearwire is different then Clear.

They are the same company, but the brand name 'Clearwire' uses the Alpha version of WiMax. Clear is using the Beta Version of WiMax @ 6-10 Mbps.

But the Wimax WE want, is going to give us 100Mbps by holiday 2010. It's called 802.11m. Clear is using 802.11e.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    WiMax hasn't been getting real good reviews. They'll have to make it a lot better before they start offering it on phones.

Customers Unhappy With Early Clearwire Launches - Poor customer support, low speeds, and high latency... - dslreports.com
    That link is back from September and is referencing CLEAR service specifically, not Sprint 4G. There is a difference in the implementations. Services are not available in all areas the same between the two. For example Sprint 4G is available in Baltimore, but not CLEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSPARTAN003 View Post
    First off, Clearwire is different then Clear.

They are the same company, but the brand name 'Clearwire' uses the Alpha version of WiMax. Clear is using the Beta Version of WiMax @ 6-10 Mbps.

But the Wimax WE want, is going to give us 100Mbps by holiday 2010. It's called 802.11m. Clear is using 802.11e.
    Clearwire is the company. "Clear" is the brand of their WiMax implementation. Their other broadband services are just branded under the company name, not a particular brand name.

WiMax in addition is not an 802.11 standard like WiFi, it is 802.16. Clear and Sprint 4G both use the 802.16e standard.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    They have it in Philly, and I love it... no problems over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post

Clearwire is the company. "Clear" is the brand of their WiMax implementation. Their other broadband services are just branded under the company name, not a particular brand name.

WiMax in addition is not an 802.11 standard like WiFi, it is 802.16. Clear and Sprint 4G both use the 802.16e standard.
    OOPS...

Yea, i know that...

Wi-Fi is 802.11

WiMax is 802.16

Sorry for the mistake. That never happens...
    Good evening!

I am considering purchasing the Sprint 4G card and also the router (4 user) along with the data paln, then I can use the WiFi portion of the Palm Pre and use a VOIP app for voice. If VOIP does not meet my requirements then I can purchase a Sprint Boost phone which is $50.00 for unlimited including direct connect and no taxes.

This approach will let me use the Palm Pre along with its many strengths, but I will also be able to connect a laptop and other WiFi devices. With the router, I can move it to where ever I want to have access. It might even suffice for my internet service at home.

Regards
    Last edited by ledunn; 11/07/2009 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by emikey View Post

DON'T DO THIS THROUGH SPRINT!!!
    Sorry for the yelling. Don't get me wrong, I like Sprint, mostly.
    Get the exact same 4G service, from the exact same cell towers, for much less from Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider Originally it was Xohm. I've had it in Chicago since December 08.

Lock in now for 2 devices (home & mobile/USB), for $50 a month unlimited (sorry in advance for MORE yelling) FOR LIFE!!!
    Lease or buy. Month to month, or 2 year contract. Many different configurations to fit most, including voice. I use Magic Jack myself. Free overnight shipping. I ordered mine on a Sunday afternoon, and it was on my doorstep Tuesday. /salespitch

I don't work for Clear, but loving sharing good technologies with others.
    I should be on their payroll for all the units I've sold for them.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    DON'T DO THIS THROUGH SPRINT!!!
    Sorry for the yelling. Don't get me wrong, I like Sprint, mostly.
    Get the exact same 4G service, from the exact same cell towers, for much less from Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider Originally it was Xohm. I've had it in Chicago since December 08.

Lock in now for 2 devices (home & mobile/USB), for $50 a month unlimited (sorry in advance for MORE yelling) FOR LIFE!!!
    Lease or buy. Month to month, or 2 year contract. Many different configurations to fit most, including voice. I use Magic Jack myself. Free overnight shipping. I ordered mine on a Sunday afternoon, and it was on my doorstep Tuesday. /salespitch

I don't work for Clear, but loving sharing good technologies with others.
    I should be on their payroll for all the units I've sold for them.
    I believe you! I am glad to hear it's working well for you!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i work for the company that owns the rights to this in chicago. if anyone wants it, i can put them in touch with some one.

no, this is not spam. if you want ill post pics of me with my pre.
    please shoot me an email though. i will put you in contact with a person very close the owner.

my email is mikeh32 at y a h o o dot c o m