Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Slider issue here too... I just got my phone 2 weeks ago and the slider is getting so loose that both the top and bottom wiggle - with the top almost rattling when against my face during a call. I got it through a corporate account. I called the local Sprint store here in Chicago (LaSalle) and was told to come in and let a service tech look at it. But what exactly can he do about the issue except replace?

Any ideas what I should expect when I go in there today - and what I should say? I knew about (and expected) some wiggle when the rails got used over time, but to have this much movement after only 2 weeks is driving me nuts.

Any suggestions would he appreciated!
  2.    #22  
    This is a list of know issues for the palm pre.
    This list comes from the NASC Support

WORK-AROUND / INSTRUCTIONAL NOTE
    Random Power Down (or powercycle) AFTER Closing the Slider on Palm Pre
    Battery Life Optimization on Palm Pre
    No Charge Battery Icon although device is charging on Palm Pre
    Issue with Downloading Music beyond the Memory Capacity or Deleting tracks on Palm Pre
    Programming How To's on Palm Pre
    EAS Email Cannot Sync EAS Version 12.0 Exchange server 2007 without SP1 on Palm Pre
    FAQ # of Contact to be Saved (no limit) on Palm Pre
    Gmail Error Codes on Palm Pre
    Loading music content beyond the 8GB of user storage on Palm Pre
    Sprint Family Locator ability to add feature on Palm Pre
    Device Remote Wipe use and expectations on Palm Pre
    SOFTWARE UPGRADE
    EAS Cannot use IP address in Domain Address Set Up on Palm Pre
    EAS - SSL & non-secure server on Palm Pre
    EXCHANGE / REPAIR
    Earpiece Failure after use of Headset Jack on Palm Pre
    Earpiece Failure on Palm Pre
    Cracked LCD Warranty Policy on Palm Pre
    Slight Nuances in LCD Displays on Palm Pre
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    So if the issue is not on that list the user is SOL or has to use insurance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    Cracked LCD Warranty Policy on Palm Pre
    Can you post/explain (in detail) the policy?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    So what about a loose slider one the pre. I'm sure you guys are aware of the problem. What will sprint tell me when I go and and say my slider is way to loose.
    There is a cool fix to this issue that i saw in a thread. Using some clear tap and placing it up under the slider creating more pressure. Have not tried this cuz my pre does not have the oreo issue but alot of people have been pleased with the results. If a customer came in my location with the oreo issue I would follow the instructions from that thread and the attatched youtube.com video to fix it. Not the right answer I know. It can be replaced as a know issue with the pre threw a service and repair location but no bet that your replacement will not have the issue.

Hopefully Palm is looking into this issue and watching this forum and applying what we have learned to rebuilding there refurbs. I have herd from many who say there referb is better than original.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Can you post/explain (in detail) the policy?
    no problem.
    If you click on that line in the known issues this is what message you get.

Type: Exchange / Repair

Palm Pre Cracked LCD Screen - Follow LCD Warranty Policy

If customer has a Palm Pre with the above issue:

Instructional Note: How to Handle a Palm Pre Cracked LCD Screen

Follow normal warranty procedures when dealing with customers with a Palm Pre cracked screen by determining if the issue is due to physical abuse.

If physical customer abuse is obvious, then it should not be covered under normal warranty procedures.

If you do not see physical damage or cannot determine any customer abuse, follow procedures for replacing a phone for the customer under warranty.

Only send the customer to Asurion if you see obvious signs of abuse.

.........So what there saying is, They know its a know issue but telling sprint tech's not to replace a phone with obvious physical damage due to customer abuse, under this know issue. When the phone gets back to palm and it has physical damage due to customer abuse the divise will be charged to the store who replaced it for the total retail price of the divice. This keeps sprint reps honest. Thats why they will not do it if you ran over it to crack it. Nobody wants to loose there job over trying to hook someone up who abused there phone. It is a know issue and when they crack that way they all look pretty much the same.
  7.    #27  
    So if the issue is not on that list the user is SOL or has to use insurance?
    No. its not that the issue has to be on the list. This is a list of known issues and some work arounds to help techs out with fixing the phone.

If your phone is physically damaged, lost, stolen ect. you would need to go threw assurion and pay the deductable to get a new phone shipped to you.

If its under warrenty and there is a defect from the manufacturer you will get it replaced for free.

If you have ESRP and there is a defect from the manufacturer you will get it replaced for free even if its not under warrenty. ESRP covers any and all problems with your phone exept physical damage, lost or stolen
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    So what about a loose slider one the pre. I'm sure you guys are aware of the problem. What will sprint tell me when I go and and say my slider is way to loose.
    Type: Exchange / Repair

We have seen a few different display screen anomalies on the Palm Pre LCD Display.

Random and intermittent issues seen range from a dead pixel as well as an occasional white orb in the display.

If customer has a Palm Pre with the above issue:

Instructional Note: If dead pixels are witnessed complete the e-ticket and perform an exchange.
    This is good to know. Sounds like there is no reason for Sprint to refuse a replacement if you have been careful with the phone.

Only send the customer to Asurion if you see obvious signs of abuse.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    so what i'm reading is that according to sprint, there is no type of cracked screen that is considered a "manufacturer defect" and warrants a free exchange, correct?
  11.    #31  
    This is good to know. Sounds like there is no reason for Sprint to refuse a replacement if you have been careful with the phone.
    Thats right. See id rather fix ur phone than replace it. and id rather replace it than send you to assurion. My indirect store gets payed more per phone by sprint to fix phones than to replace them. 1/3 less to do an advanced exchange.
    I only send people to assurion if i cant fix there phone and I know it will get me a full retail chargeback for being physically damaged.
    I have fixed peoples phones that were physically damaged and normally would have to go threw assurion. If i can fix it and save the customer from taking that rought then i will for two reason.
    1. I dont like to see people pay $100 for the replacement.
    2. I make my company more money by fixing there phone than refering them to assurion.
    I saw that fix too.. also one that has you applying thin layers of super-glue to part of one rail to build up the thickness. But on a phone that is only 2 weeks old, this shouldn't be the fix. Is it just my phone, or does everyone's have a ~2mm movement on the slider side to side along with movement on the top of the slider (not just the bottom)? hmmm...

There is a cool fix to this issue that i saw in a thread. Using some clear tap and placing it up under the slider creating more pressure. Have not tried this cuz my pre does not have the oreo issue but alot of people have been pleased with the results. If a customer came in my location with the oreo issue I would follow the instructions from that thread and the attatched youtube.com video to fix it. Not the right answer I know. It can be replaced as a know issue with the pre threw a service and repair location but no bet that your replacement will not have the issue.

Hopefully Palm is looking into this issue and watching this forum and applying what we have learned to rebuilding there refurbs. I have herd from many who say there referb is better than original.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by g0rey1 View Post
    so what i'm reading is that according to sprint, there is no type of cracked screen that is considered a "manufacturer defect" and warrants a free exchange, correct?
    No. This cracking in the top left corner is a known issue and as long as thats the only physical damage on the phone they will replace it.

See the palm pre is the only phone i have seen with a cracking screen thats a known issue. Any other time a tech sees a screen crack, its clear that it has been dropped.

Not to be a smart buttox but its kinda common sence when i see a cracked pre, verses a cracked screen on a touch pro. Too bad not all techs you talk to will be informed about this issue. I suggest telling the tech to go on NASCSUPPORTTOOL.COM and look up that it is a know issue and you did not drop it.
    I actually got a email about it from my corp. field rep. I had not evern herd of it until i got that email. Know mine is doing it too.

you can always bring up other known issues that warrent an exchange. IE pixels
    Working in a job similar to yours but for AT&T, I'd advise you to watch what you post online. The boatload of paperwork that you signed when you got your job almost certainly included a couple of NDA's, and some of the stuff you're posting (stuff about internal policy and what appear to be direct quotes from internal documents) almost certainly violates those NDA's.

Just saying, this isn't really the best time to be taking chances with your job.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I saw that fix too.. also one that has you applying thin layers of super-glue to part of one rail to build up the thickness. But on a phone that is only 2 weeks old, this shouldn't be the fix. Is it just my phone, or does everyone's have a ~2mm movement on the slider side to side along with movement on the top of the slider (not just the bottom)? hmmm...
    I personally think that there all going to do it at some point. Some right out of the box. Others over time. All the replacement phones i have been getting back have been tighter. I am praying that palm starts putting some type of buffer in the rail when building then or refurbing them.
  16.    #36  
    Im going to send off for a replacement for my divice in a few weeks but before i do I am going to take my divise compleatly apart and see what the deal is. Then when i get my new one I will probable take it apart soon as i get it and see if there is a fix that there doing from refurb.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Working in a job similar to yours but for AT&T, I'd advise you to watch what you post online. The boatload of paperwork that you signed when you got your job almost certainly included a couple of NDA's, and some of the stuff you're posting (stuff about internal policy and what appear to be direct quotes from internal documents) almost certainly violates those NDA's.

Just saying, this isn't really the best time to be taking chances with your job.
    yea thanks. I am reading over everything i post and its only known issues and work arounds.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post

does AT&T do service and repair on there phones? or do they just exchange everything like verizon?
  19.    #39  
    all policies that have been posted go hand in hand with the service and repair/ total equipment protection agreements you signed when activating or upgrading.
    If physically damaged, lost or stolen.........Refer to assurion
    If otherwise defective, take to service and repair center. If you pay for the protection it will be fixed or replaced.
    If under warrenty.......Again, fixed or replaced.
    Exchange. If it's within 30 days of purchase the phone might be refurbished and resold, but the guy with the problem is going to get a replacement.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast