1.    #1  
    I am looking at getting a Pre, but am unable to find if I will be able to do what I want. I am a developer and a system administrator and I want to be able to use the pre as a backup to do minor server tasks when I may not have my computer. These questions are specific to bell and the bell network with the Pre

1. Can I use SSH on the Pre to connect to remote servers ?
    2. Has anyone ever tried setting up a VPN client on the Pre ?
    3. Does bell allow incoming connections to the palm pre ?
    4. Does the tether hack work on bell, so I can get an internet connection with my laptop without paying their ridiculous fee's just to tether ?

Pretty much deal breakers for me, if Bell does not want to let me use the phone the way I want I see no reason to pay them my money. I will look for an alternate solution.

**Note: I tried phoning bell. Was transferred through three people. Including their *technical* line, and I swear their *technical* line did not even know what SSH was. Until they basically gave up. Makes me wonder if anyone at bell can answer my questions.
  2.    #2  
    Nothing yet eh.....

Was also wondering on the pre's ability to use wireless boosters ?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    [*]Can I use SSH on the Pre to connect to remote servers ?
    Yes, you can!
    [*]Has anyone ever tried setting up a VPN client on the Pre ?
    Will be working in the next update
    [*]Does bell allow incoming connections to the palm pre ?
    Not sure what you mean
    [*]Does the tether hack work on bell, so I can get an internet connection with my laptop without paying their ridiculous fee's just to tether ?
    Yes, I tether all the time and it is working fine
  4.    #4  
    Thanks so much.

[*]Does bell allow incoming connections to the palm pre ?
    Not sure what you mean
    Can I get an external IP ? So I can ssh into my pre from my computer, no matter where my pre is located ? (Telephone service and the fact that it is turned on)

Any more information on the VPN client available in the next release(of palm os?) ?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulde View Post
    Can I get an external IP ? So I can ssh into my pre from my computer, no matter where my pre is located ? (Telephone service and the fact that it is turned on)
    Nope, Bell uses NAT for the phones and assigns a 10.x.x.x address and there's no way to access that from outside. The only time you can ssh into your phone is when you're both on the same wireless network.
    PalmPilot Pro --> Palm III --> Palm V --> Palm 505 --> Treo 700p --> Palm Pre