Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My contract ended with AT&T on 9/14 and I love Palm so I gave the Pre a try. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pre however it's Sprint that I don't love. My calls are constantly being dropped, friends are telling me my calls are going directly to voice mail and my mom has called and said she's getting a message that says my number is not working or another error message.

I really want to keep my phone, but I refuse to pay for bad coverage. I contacted Sprint and they told me to go to their local store to see if the phone is working properly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping it works, but if not I'll have to give it up on Wednesday
    Do you homebrew with it? I lived in a great sprint area so no problems, moved to an area that has less signal strength and started experiancing the same issues as you. I installed the Roam Only tweak from preware, and when I walk in the house I turn it on. No more missed/dropped calls. I use wifi for data so my data is unaffected. When I leave the house I just touch the toggle and back to the Automatic setting!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  3.    #3  
    Have no idea what homebrew is I am having dropped calls both in and out of my house. I turned off my Wi-Fi to extend my battery life. Really not having problems with data though, just the calls themselves :/
    WiFi actually uses less power than the EVDO radio does. So if you are in an area with WiFi, use it. Having a low signal and bouncing back and forth between roaming and native coverage also decreases battery life.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoTroi View Post
    Have no idea what homebrew is I am having dropped calls both in and out of my house. I turned off my Wi-Fi to extend my battery life. Really not having problems with data though, just the calls themselves :/
    If you have time, search for the Webos Quick Install thread. Someone in there can help you get it installed. Do a bit of reading around that and the preware thread. Lotsa cool things you can make your Pre do!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Airrave would probably do wonders for you in and around your home. Call Sprint CS and tell them about your problem, if other users in the same area are experiencing issues as well you may score yourself a completely free one like I did. It doesn't come with you, but at least while you're home you're golden.
    My contract ended with AT&T on 9/14 and I love Palm so I gave the Pre a try. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pre however it's Sprint that I don't love. My calls are constantly being dropped, friends are telling me my calls are going directly to voice mail and my mom has called and said she's getting a message that says my number is not working or another error message.

I really want to keep my phone, but I refuse to pay for bad coverage. I contacted Sprint and they told me to go to their local store to see if the phone is working properly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping it works, but if not I'll have to give it up on Wednesday
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Do you homebrew with it? I lived in a great sprint area so no problems, moved to an area that has less signal strength and started experiancing the same issues as you. I installed the Roam Only tweak from preware, and when I walk in the house I turn it on. No more missed/dropped calls. I use wifi for data so my data is unaffected. When I leave the house I just touch the toggle and back to the Automatic setting!
    I second mrloserpunk. Also both of you should try the Airave. I installed mine last week. Had 0-1 bar outside and none inside. Now have 4-5 inside and 3-4 outside, even at the street.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    hope it's works, I got my Pre 3and 1/2 weeks ago and i just love it, my iphone 3G is ignored since then. If sprint works out, wish i hope, welcome to the Pre community.
    My phone is a Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    I can't do airave since I don't have wifi or broadband in my home -- and my phone connection is terrible -- all the same things OP mentions -- dropped calls, husband calls and it goes directly to VM, etc etc.

I never use wifi since it's not available anywhere I live or work -- if I use roam only toggle -- doesn't cost me any more, right? Just dial area before I dial? People should be able to call me just the same?

I need to do something -- I love the phone but the phone service is getting worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    Iif I use roam only toggle -- doesn't cost me any more, right?
    There's writing in the contract, fairly clear and not hidden, that says if the majority of your activity takes place while roaming Sprint can adjust things. That may including charging you for roaming (as mentioned in another thread) all the way up to terminating your service. I'd be careful about leaving roaming on all the time.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    How areas differ, I was just going to write a thread on how happy I am with Pre's/Sprint coverage. I live at the beach, it is surrounded by mountains. I went from work, in 12 miles away to my house on the phone without a dropped call, I then took a different route from wrook home again on the phone the whole time and no dropped call.

With the Iphone one route calls were always dropped in 7 different places and the 2nd route they were dropped 4 everytime.

I am loving sprint and my coverage. I think I have had maybe 3 dropped calls since Pre's day 1.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you all for your replies. I called Sprint yesterday and even though it's been noted 3 seperate times on my account in the past 30 days about my issues, they wanted me to pay the $99 fee for the airave. So they suggested I go into a store and have the phone diagnosed to see if it is the phone and not the service.

So I go into the store today at noon and the girl tells me it's going to take 45 minutes to do the diagnostic check. I have to be out of there by 1:30 so they would have had to start on the phone by 12:45. They were all aware of my time constraints, I had to pick up my boys at school. So at about 1:15 I ask the guy if they are almost finishing up and he tells me that they haven't even started. OMG They should have told me that they couldn't do it, and not made me wait. I was livid It made me even more upset that they let me sit there the extra 1/2 hour when they could have told me at 12:45 they wouldn't be able to do it.

So based on the fact of all the problems and today, I will definitely be saying good bye to my pre. At first I was upset, but then found out that I can actually make a phone call and check email or messages on the iPhone, I'm not so upset about saying good-bye. I will miss the keyboard but the service is more important than the keyboard.

Maybe in a few years Sprint will get their act together and I'll revisit them. Until then, it's back to AT&T.
  13. CUH
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    sell me ur pone
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    How areas differ, I was just going to write a thread on how happy I am with Pre's/Sprint coverage. I live at the beach, it is surrounded by mountains. I went from work, in 12 miles away to my house on the phone without a dropped call, I then took a different route from wrook home again on the phone the whole time and no dropped call.

With the Iphone one route calls were always dropped in 7 different places and the 2nd route they were dropped 4 everytime.

I am loving sprint and my coverage. I think I have had maybe 3 dropped calls since Pre's day 1.
    Sprint has great coverage in Cali.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    You could probably even take this a step further and whip up an app that senses your location via GPS then changes your Roam only setting based on that.

That would be sweet for you!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  16.    #16  
    So I went to AT&T on Tuesday and had my number ported back over to them. Only took 1 minute and my texts were immediate too. When I left AT&T to go to Sprint, it took about 1/2 hour for my number to port and 36 hours for text messages to port.

So then I took the phone back to Radio Shack on Tuesday night and was telling the guy why I returned it and he says, "oh yeah, this area does not have good coverage for Sprint". I was like what the fudge If their people know the area is not good, then why in the he!! would they tell me it was? I was so upset, I asked for the mgr. I told him about the my problems with the R.S. person from the beginning and how it is bad business.

So I'm done with Sprint and do miss my Pre But I'm waiting for my visa gift card to come in so I can give the iPhone a try. It's not a Pre but it's better than my blackberry.
    Wait for the unlocked GSM version to come out. Then just put your att sim in.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    Wait for the unlocked GSM version to come out. Then just put your att sim in.
    When will that be? I'm using a blackberry right now and I really don't like it. I can say that I'm a little excited to give the iPhone a try. If I don't like it and an unlocked version of the Pre does come out I can always sell the iPhone and get the Pre.
    When will that be? I'm using a blackberry right now and I really don't like it. I can say that I'm a little excited to give the iPhone a try. If I don't like it and an unlocked version of the Pre does come out I can always sell the iPhone and get the Pre.
    GSM versions of the pre are out already. We just have to wait for them to be unlocked Unfortunately, we have no idea when that wil be. Hopefully soon.
    So I went to AT&T on Tuesday and had my number ported back over to them. Only took 1 minute and my texts were immediate too. When I left AT&T to go to Sprint, it took about 1/2 hour for my number to port and 36 hours for text messages to port.

So then I took the phone back to Radio Shack on Tuesday night and was telling the guy why I returned it and he says, "oh yeah, this area does not have good coverage for Sprint". I was like what the fudge If their people know the area is not good, then why in the he!! would they tell me it was? I was so upset, I asked for the mgr. I told him about the my problems with the R.S. person from the beginning and how it is bad business.

So I'm done with Sprint and do miss my Pre But I'm waiting for my visa gift card to come in so I can give the iPhone a try. It's not a Pre but it's better than my blackberry.
    Now that's just low. They should've at least checked the coverage map for you to see if you'll get service with the Pre. As stated above, California users are lucky since Sprint's network is much more robust here than AT&Ts. Hopefully, the QWERTY GSM Pre shall float your way and you can be in WebOS bliss with the rest of us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast