Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 24 of 24
  1. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I thought we did roam for free on VZ... no?
    in some areas sure- in the real world there are some holes such that the coverage is not identical. There's a reason why Verizon advertises "the network" and that people pay piles and piles more for VZ than sprint. There really is a difference in coverage- depends on the individual if it's a big deal or not. (it's not like sprint coverage is half of verizons. It's very similar but if one regularly is in one of the holes then to that person it might be worth the addtional verizon coverage.)

    Quote Originally Posted by doogiepwr View Post
    Everytime I've roamed and have a number saved without a area code. I hear"welcome to verizon wireless". If you have the roam only hack, put it on and dial your own number without area code and you will hear the same thing.
    first off- sprint would be stupid to ALWAYS roam on vz. it's just that most places verizon has coverage where sprint doesn't. I'd assume that just like verizon charges consumers the most that they charge other carriers to roam similarly higher rates. So if sprint has an alternative than I'm sure they would explore it- in the past maybe they could roam on alltel someplaces (before the borg bought that up)- maybe some places they buy from other smaller reginal carries (does metro pcs own any of their own bandwidth?)

    But the major difference is even if you are in area that verizon roaming is the norm that it's not seamless- a sprint phone will attempt to hook up on a sprint tower first- it's just logical. So you can be in an area where sprint service goes in and out and but there's a 5 bar veizon signal the phone is likely to keep trying the sprint tower rather than just switch to verizon. Also in some places roaming just isn't allowed- I can say for example that for instance in many parts of the NYC subway system one can get a verizon signal becasue of their 800mhz assets, but a sprint phone just will NOT roam. Could be sprint (trying to save money or they think their network is "good enough" in the area) or verizon (trying to keep an edge in coverage) dont allow roaming in NYC. But it might also be that perhaps their agreement in NY only allows 1900 roaming and not 800 (can roaming lists be that granular? I dont really no). This same sort of thing happens inside the middle of larger buildings throughout the NY NJ PA area (and maybe elswhere?).

    So basically it's fringe areas that the coverage isn't the same. If you are where sprint just doesn't have coverage then you will surely jump onto verizon (or someone else) but if the coverage is just spotty it's not as clear cut.

    I've had both sprint and verizon over the past ~12-15 years. For me there is a noticable differece in coverage but for the most part sprint's network gets the job done and coverage alone would not deter my from sprint in NJ and surrounding areas of NY and PA.
    Last edited by efudd; 10/03/2009 at 01:08 PM.
  2. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you have over 600 posts and just three thank you's . makes me wonder what kinda troll are you anyways , besides that this is the first time i have ever heard anything like this in any post in these forums so what you say is false as well . and "efudd" the only bashing i see going on is you so go back to whatever hole you came out of please and stick your head in it , because the only reason ur here is to bash and start arguments and we really dont need that around here thank you
    listen sonny- before you go acting like a little girl get your facts straight.

    I have so many posts and little thankyous because I joined before you even know palm existed you botherd to join precentral.net and this place was called TREOCENTRAL. The old boards didn't have the thank you thing. I dont post much now a days with the new thankyou ability becasue I dont currently have a pre and so I basically post a bit in the pixie forum and in this area about carriers (which BY THE WAY is shared with the parent treocentral.com forums- you can grow up and try treocentral.com and you will see that the pre forums are just a subset of the treocentral forums). This is NOT just the pre we love sprint part of the precentral forum, it's part of the pre forums shared with the treo forums.

    no one is bashing - i tried to explain to people the reality and explain how ignorant fools like you are exactly the reason why sprint has an uphill battle. just as you are an ignorant illiogical defensive sprint ****** there are plenty of the same on ATT, Verizon, T-mobile and the rest. People like that react like a dog might without all the facts and dont bother to read up and understand what is going on.

    I'm have no need to argue- I think your childish attack is more of a problem then me saying that sprint coverage does not equal verizons. And on the "crippling" nonsense - there's plenty of legit reasons that people should pick sprint over vz but that is no longer a significant reason. They have been including wifi on phones for quite some time releasing the same hardware that sprint does- just look at the overlapping HTC lines (mogul, snap, various touches, etc) and even some phones that vz carries that sprint doesn't like some of the samsung offerings. GPS has been unlocked on all recent handsets and in fact they have enabled it on several handsets that had it locked on recent mainteance releases.

    Verizon is WAY more expensive, has crappier phone choices as a general rule, is slow to even get the same phones as sprint, and is even slower to release firmware updates such that sprint phones are sometimes multiple releases ahead of verizon. But they dont lock wifi or GPS anymore.

    so how about you climb back in your hole and shut your silly mouth- we dont need it around here- thank YOU.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Sprint cripples their smart phones as well. You could never do MMS on any of the Treos until the Pro came out. They offered work-arounds that let you do it, but not true MMS. The same phones on Verizon and AT&T supported MMS just fine.
    Not the way verizon does. Look at their HTC touch pro; it has half the storage and ram of non-vzw models. My XV6800 had less ram than it's mogul counterpart. It's not at all out of the norm for their winmo devices to have half the ram and storage of the original HTC models. It's ****ty as hell.
  4. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Not the way verizon does. Look at their HTC touch pro; it has half the storage and ram of non-vzw models. My XV6800 had less ram than it's mogul counterpart. It's not at all out of the norm for their winmo devices to have half the ram and storage of the original HTC models. It's ****ty as hell.

    I know that on a few devices they have gotten less memory or remove stuff like accceloremeters and stuff in the past- But is it really that true that the xv6800 and mogul dont have the same chips on board? I thought they were indentical guts (64 ram and 256 rom on both)? But that doesn't mean there isn't less availible RAM on the device- probably becasue the verizon firmwares are always way behind and the verizon image is therefore possible much larger and wasting more space.

    the xv6800 is actually an example of a device with wifi and that also originally came with the gps locked but that verizon more recently unlocked with a maintenance release (like 100 years after sprint had it though- since they are SOOO slow)

    edit seems the user guides for both do in fact say 64/256
    http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf...c_mogul_ug.pdf
    http://member.america.htc.com/downlo...ser_manual.pdf
    so again- same device released on sprint and vz(way later) without wifi crippled and were EVENTUALLY vz got around to unlocking the gps.
    Last edited by efudd; 10/03/2009 at 01:50 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions