1.    #1  
    Hi am a newbie to the pre and had just a few questions! First of all I am from Canada and have a plan With Bell Mobility which gives me unlimited web access on on my pre! but they said if i try to tether i get charged $3/mb. how do they know i am tethering and not using my phones web? if i install my tether and use my phone as a wireless modem will they know im tethering?
    thanks ahead of time!
    any suggestions to get around the extra charges would be helpfull!
    There really is no way to tell on the Pre other than using a ton of data, from what I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    There really is no way to tell on the Pre other than using a ton of data, from what I understand.
    I agree, I don't think they can tell, but I could be wrong about that. Palm, however, can tell that you have My Tether installed, and I believe they can also gather data about how often it is used. I suppose they could potentially share that data with Bell.

The consensus for Sprint users seems to be that Sprint either can't or won't do anything about tethering use for casual tetherers. Massive users are another story.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    So not true they can tell and they will catch you if they want to. The only problem is they have to look at each individual account and examine the data packets which is very time consuming. I would think if you use a normal amount of data you would never get caught because there would be no reason for them to be looking at your account. If however they examine your account they will catch you.
    What makes the Pre everything data plans different from the Blackberry data plans that allow tethering? On the Sprint side.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwade View Post
    So not true they can tell and they will catch you if they want to. The only problem is they have to look at each individual account and examine the data packets which is very time consuming. I would think if you use a normal amount of data you would never get caught because there would be no reason for them to be looking at your account. If however they examine your account they will catch you.
    This is only true with mobile sites vs. regular sites. Also, this is why My Tether is so cool. If you are using Wifi tethering, the Pre cannot track that, and thus Sprint cannot track that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartosxxx View Post
    Hi am a newbie to the pre and had just a few questions! First of all I am from Canada and have a plan With Bell Mobility which gives me unlimited web access on on my pre! but they said if i try to tether i get charged $3/mb. how do they know i am tethering and not using my phones web? if i install my tether and use my phone as a wireless modem will they know im tethering?
    thanks ahead of time!
    any suggestions to get around the extra charges would be helpfull!
    The information that the Pre regularly sends back to Palm includes a list of applications you are running, including any tethering applications.

Whether or not that gets passed on to the carriers is another question. The EULA that you explicitly agreed to when you first turned on the phone certainly allows Palm to pass that information on to the carrier if they so choose, without needing to notify you that they have done so.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals