1.    #1  
    Well I have to say Sprint has really picked up their CS efforts in the past year.

BUT...went in to get my wife's RANT looked at, and well...the CS on the phone was excellent (he needs a bonus) but the guys in store was a jerk/*****.

First words out of his mouth were..."Do you take the battery out often?"
    ME: No, but we did the other day while on Sprint CS doing a full reset with MSL and everything, updated firmware, and even has it to autoroam if needed etc etc. AND the phone still does the intermittent cutting out during a conversation.
    Jerk: Ah...thats your problem, you should take your battery out at least once a day as phones nowadays are just like minicomputers, and work better if they are frequently reset as this will disconnect them from the tower. (DUH?!?)
    ME: What?!? I know all about computers, and this info is ridiculus, I have never had to do that on any phone, and I have a Pre and never have to do that either.
    Jerk: (whipping out his Pre...like someone cares) Well you should, it will make it run a whole lot better. (Like mine ever runs badly)

Then he proceeded to tell me he could have someone look at it but most likely find nothing wrong, and if I wanted to wait 45min he could do that....uhhh....NO!!!!!

So calling my awesome CS guy back today and we are going to get this worked out. 10yrs with Sprint, and still love it, cant stand that guy...should have his job for that one...treat me like a dumb to technology...I have a EE degree @$$hole.

So guess the only phone left on the Sprint sight left that is good for a cheaper phone is the Samsung Exclaim. Saw the HTC Snap but not sure if my wife would like that.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 09/22/2009 at 10:31 AM.
    I hear allot of negative feedback over a sprintusers regarding the Exclaim. Mostly good feedback on the Samsung Reclaim, though. Might want to try Sprint telesales. They may be able to get you a replacement RANT for cheap (I assume you don't have TEP), then hold-out for a Pixi if you think it might work out for your wife.
    BTW..a bit off topic, but a few months ago I started a thread over at SU called the "Most Ridiculous Thing Sprint Told You". It shot to 25 pages in about 24 hours....

There were some hilarious stories. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not at all surprised by the Store rep's response in your case.
  4.    #4  
    Well I am getting them to replace it for Free so no biggie there. But not sure I want to get another RANT...was thinking about asking for the upgrade to the Exclaim for my hassle etc since they are the same MSRP

Plus I am not sure the wife will like the Reclaim...will have to double check with her.
    Mainly need something for major texting and good call quality.
    Check over a sprintusers . com for user reviews. My co-worker's husband has that same phone (Exclaim). She says he cusses at it every day.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Just a question but did you runt he software update on the rant? came out like a week or two ago.

The reason rep was trying to find something to tell you is dumb little customer satisfaction surveys. Basically once he checks your phone in you then might get a survey call. And he knows that those types of issues almost never happen after popping the battery which he has to do to scan the Hex to check it in. So off the bat he knows that the techs are going to say no trouble found and give you back the same device. So just from hearing the issue you are having with the phone he knows that you would be giving him a failing survey unless he can find some bull**** answer that you would accept. Surveys account for 40% of the representatives commission but hardly effects the technician.

tl:dr The people liable for making you happy are not the same people looking at the phone so they have to find other ways to possibly do that.

The true answer though is likely a mixture of device and coverage area. Not all phones are created equal in how they receive signal. My house gets very jumpy signal. From cdma 1x to evdo rev a back and forth.
    Last edited by giblet; 09/22/2009 at 11:54 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I hear allot of negative feedback over a sprintusers regarding the Exclaim. Mostly good feedback on the Samsung Reclaim, though. Might want to try Sprint telesales. They may be able to get you a replacement RANT for cheap (I assume you don't have TEP), then hold-out for a Pixi if you think it might work out for your wife.
    I see the reclaim on sprintusers.com, but not the Exclaim....can you send a link as I dont see it anywhere being reviewed on that site.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by giblet View Post
    Just a question but did you runt he software update on the rant? came out like a week or two ago.

The reason rep was trying to find something to tell you is dumb little customer satisfaction surveys. Basically once he checks your phone in you then might get a survey call. And he knows that those types of issues almost never happen after popping the battery which he has to do to scan the Hex to check it in. So off the bat he knows that the techs are going to say no trouble found and give you back the same device. So just from hearing the issue you are having with the phone he knows that you would be giving him a failing survey unless he can find some bull**** answer that you would accept. Surveys account for 40% of the representatives commission but hardly effects the technician.

tl:dr The people liable for making you happy are not the same people looking at the phone so they have to find other ways to possibly do that.

The true answer though is likely a mixture of device and coverage area. Not all phones are created equal in how they receive signal. My house gets very jumpy signal. From cdma 1x to evdo rev a back and forth.
    So is there a phone within this same category of phones that you might recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I see the reclaim on sprintusers.com, but not the Exclaim....can you send a link as I dont see it anywhere being reviewed on that site.
    Oddly enough, I don't see any there either. However, if you read the reviews on Sprint.com, you'll find two reoccurring issues that keep cropping up (sort worst to best rating...there's about a dozen pages rating it "low"). Screen freezes and issues with the keyboard keys.....this is the same complaints I keep hearing from my co-worker's spouse and I believe he's already exchanged it once. It the same with the replacement.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    So is there a phone within this same category of phones that you might recommend?
    The reclaim will have samsung's most up to date hardware since its the newest but I would also have to give the rumor 2 props. Service and repair stores see multiple rumor 1's every day. It turned out to have a lot of problems. The rumor 2 on the other hand has been doing pretty well. I would pick it over the rant. The drawback is it is not EVDO so gps and internets wont be as nice and fast.
    At my store we haven't seen many Exclaims coming in, but we also aren't a full service and repair location, we are advanced exchange though. The Rumor 2 is a great device, the Rumor 1 was a POS but the newer one is a great little device, if you can do without the EVDO and One Click then its awesome. The Reclaim is also a great device, plus it's "green" in case she is environmental, haven't had any of those come back.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    At my store we haven't seen many Exclaims coming in, but we also aren't a full service and repair location, we are advanced exchange though. The Rumor 2 is a great device, the Rumor 1 was a POS but the newer one is a great little device, if you can do without the EVDO and One Click then its awesome. The Reclaim is also a great device, plus it's "green" in case she is environmental, haven't had any of those come back.
    BAH....RUmor 2 isnt good - tell Sprint they need to scrap that phone - it is the same as Rumor 1 just shinier and still no 3G?!? GEEZ.

Well I got the Sprint store (different one from the other jerk in the other store) to reorder her a new RANT free of charge as it was static when they tested (if they tested). Was hoping they would just upgrade to the Exclaim, but oh well.

I had the wife in the store with me, had her try the Reclaim, LG Lotus, Exclaim, and even the dreaded crackbery curve (inferno color - she is an OSU fan)
    She picked the Exclaim over all of them, except the Pre and Pixi of course...but outta my budget as we would have to pay full price to get her one of those at the moment.

Anyways, was hoping to get the upgraded RANT (basically the Exclaim) since the RANT is no longer for sale, but the guy was able to get the purple one she has from inventory. Picking it up today, will test tonight, and if the same will return it and see what else they can offer.

Sprint is awesome, almost as good as Palm. This is my 10th year with Sprint I believe and looking forward to 10 more.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Yeah even ones its not sold anymore they get reconditioned ones from their own warehouse and samsung to use as replacements in these cases.