Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read many threads about the pros and cons with the Pre. Thats one decision. But the second decision is Sprint.

I'm looking for posts from people who purchased the Pre AND was brand new to Sprint. What are your general thoughts on Sprint? What part of the country are you in. And finally, which provider did you come from.

Personally, I'm in the Raleigh area(about 20 min. south). It would be great if I hear from other people in my area about Sprint. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger now or waiting until the first of the year when the Pre is on Verizon.

One question I do have. If I have a Pre on Sprint and I'm in a area with no Sprint service and I'm roaming on Verizon, will I still have EVDO Rev A for internet?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I transitioned to Sprint about a month ago from Verizon and haven't looked back. I live outside DC in Northern Virginia and haven't had any issues with Sprint signal quality or availability. I don't know why I didn't switch sooner with the cheaper data/messaging plans. When I was with Verizon, data was very sluggish and I never texted because I wasn't willing to pay extra for it. With my Pre and Sprint, I finally have a phone I can use with fast data and messaging that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Hope this helps...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I'm not new to Sprint, but I live in the same area (Holly Springs). I've always had good luck with them. The reception for the pre in my house has not been great (seems to be the only place), but I called Sprint and got a free airrave and that fixed that issue.
  4.    #4  
    Were close, I'm in Fuquay. Disappointing to hear it doesn't work in your house. If possible, maybe we could meet up one day to see if it works in my house?

Quote Originally Posted by palmprenc View Post
    I'm not new to Sprint, but I live in the same area (Holly Springs). I've always had good luck with them. The reception for the pre in my house has not been great (seems to be the only place), but I called Sprint and got a free airrave and that fixed that issue.
    Sprint is pretty good in SE Florida. One thing you have to get out of your head is the number of bars you have. Sprint works much better than other carriers with less bars. Something to keep in mind when you make the switch.

I'm mostly happy with Sprint but there are trade offs, its not as good inside buildings as AT&T was but the data network is superior with the exception of no voice / data at the same time.

I'll be staying with Sprint as I'm probably going to sell my Pre and pick up the Hero but overall the service has been good. You have 30 days to check it out so if you don't like it you can go back.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    It really depends on your area as to which carrier has the best signal. Where I live (Western NY) Verizon's signal is better than any other carrier while ATT is poor. Sprint is so so. The big challenge is that when I roam to Verizon, the phone still searches for a Sprint signal reducing battery life significantly. If I use the roam only hack, my signal and battery life are better, but data speeds slow down.

Sprint's pricing on the other hand is very competitive.
    I actually live in apex and frequently drive up to fuquay/raleigh/morrisville etc i've had absolutely no problem with reception on sprint and the service price is the best out of all the carriers. One good thing I've notice is that even on low signal the speed isn't impacted that much compared to other networks I've seen.
    I've had sprint for 8 years. I've lived all throughout FL, GA, NC, and SC... The only place I've not had great sprint reception in recent years is Southern GA... the kinds of places where that new fangled cell-o-lar technology is an act of the devil. Take it for what it's worth though. The only issue I've had with sprint is that their customer service can be inept.. but if you have thick skin or a spouse with thick skin it's a great way to save $$ over other carriers.

Didn't read ALL of the original post my apologies.. I'm not brand new to sprint.

Though I'm in Raleigh now.. and get excellent reception.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I also live in Northern VA, switched over from a company owned Verizon plan. I picked Sprint due to the fact that the plans were cheaper than both the Verizon or AT&T plans. I communicate most of the time with my data plan...text/email. The Metro is where I currently experience the most outages, but that will change shortly.
    I live in the New York (Queens) and have no reception problems anywhere except on the rare occasion that I go upstate where roaming kicks in
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I was a happy verizon customer. NEVER had a droppped call outside my home, customer service was excellent! When the iphone came out, I purposley called verizon customer service to complain about something, just so they would **** me off and I would have an excuse to go get an iphone. They never pissed me off, were courteous etc... I was however getting tired of being an iphone wanna be. (I had terrible service with att and promised my self i would never go back) The pre came out and I decided I needed the phone more than the service provider. Sprint has surprised me. the customer service thus far has been excellent. I do have droppped calls in NYC every 1 or 2 weeks it seems. At work I roam, but I do get service at home now ( I used to have to go to a window in my apartment with verizon otherwise no call, or it would drop) . I get more minutes, more services for less money. If sprint continues on its course, I have no plans on leaving, (ie anytime mobile minutes). I did pay verizon a penalty to leave my contract early and I think I have already saved that fee back by switching, plus I have an excellent phone that finnaly allows me to do what I need it to do and no more iphone envy. hope that helps!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'm near Syracuse, NY and I switched from Verizon. Customer service for Sprint seems good, though I haven't had to use it too much. Coverage is definitely worse than I had with Verizon, though I can generally get a roaming signal to at least make calls and get 1x data. City coverage is excellent though.
    I live in the suburbs of MD and travel into Virginia through DC. I get good coverage on my commute. The only place the coverage sucks is at my house, where I get 1 bar if lucky. I've ordered an airave however it's still on backorder. I switched because of the Pre as Verizon phones just were so limited for years. I had the Centro and wasn't going to move to the BlackBerry Storm as I heard that sucked too. I kept telling them to get a good smartphone something like the Pre/iPhone/Android. They didn't listen, so I finally gave up and went over a couple months ago and I haven't looked back. Even better they've added unlimited mobile to mobile phone calls! This is so much better than Verizon. Verizon does have better coverage when I travel, however, I don't travel much anymore for my job, so it hasn't mattered too much for me. Customer service for Sprint seems pretty responsive as well and nice.

So it looks like most of us who switched were happy with Verizon's service, however their phones sucked and their pricing wasn't as good as well. I'm hoping more of Verizon Wireless users switch!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I live in Atlanta and I was very hesitant about moving to Sprint (their reputation in my area is not good - -probably something to do with when CIngular was HQ'd here), but I have been very pleasantly surprised. Not only do I get better reception on my calls (granted that easily could have just been the horrible radio that was in my iPhone 2G), but the signal strength holds up very well pretty much everywhere I go.

I love being able to drive home and not lose my wireless signal as I literally drive by the AT&T Wireless building (old Cingular HQ), something that as a Cingular/AT&T customer was a regular experience!!

I am very happy with Sprint so far - and who can complain about the value; cheaper service, free mobile-to-any mobile, free navigation, etc...

The only downside so far is that there is a spot when driving to my folk's place where I don't have any coverage, not even roaming, for about 30-40 minutes but I knew that going in so I'm alright with it.
    You can roam onto Verizon for 1x data and voice for free if you have to. Doesn't that end any concern?

Comparing what you get with the Pre/Sprint this is a serious no brainer. Unlimited text, data, gps, and I can call any person on any US cell carrier for free. All for $69.99 BEFORE the extremely easy to get discounts?

Give me a break! The only way it makes sense to go anywhere else is if your specific office/home is a black hole for sprint service. Oh wait- they will give you a free femtocell if that is the case!

I see no reason to go anywhere else.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    You can roam onto Verizon for 1x data and voice for free if you have to. Doesn't that end any concern?

Comparing what you get with the Pre/Sprint this is a serious no brainer. Unlimited text, data, gps, and I can call any person on any US cell carrier for free. All for $69.99 BEFORE the extremely easy to get discounts?

Give me a break! The only way it makes sense to go anywhere else is if your specific office/home is a black hole for sprint service. Oh wait- they will give you a free femtocell if that is the case!

I see no reason to go anywhere else.
    I really would have to agree with this having been on att, verizon and now sprint!
    I live in Bristol, TN and Sprint's signal isn't an issue for me but then again, Bristol is home to the Bristol Motor Speedway(the worlds fastest half mile track for NAScar) and they tend to advertise heavily for Sprint here because of the Sprint Nextel Cup and Sprint is a majority here but you go toward West TN and you're always roaming. Its all where you live. I LOVE Sprint. I've been with Sprint for 4 years and their customer service has made a complete turn around and I don't have any complaints. Wouldn't change carriers ever. Unless they decide to merge T-mobile with Sprint then it's hello AT&T. Been down the T-Mobile road and won't do it again. Good luck on whatever choice you make.
    Follow me on Twitter---www.twitter.com/DJScootR
    I have to say, I think Sprint gets better and better. The reception in my house was nonexistent - until Sprint sent me a free Airave with no monthly usage fees. Any time I've had a problem with my Pre (which have been rare, and nothing that has caused me to return it), they've worked very hard to rectify it. When Sprint lowered the Pre price by $50, I sent a very polite e-mail asking them to credit my account since I paid full price, and they did with no hassle and about 12 hours after receiving my e-mail late Saturday night.

Oh, and I really love my Pre!

It would take something really major now to cause me to leave Sprint.
    I left VZW 2 years ago for the old SERO plan and then went to EPRP and the Pre in June.
    I live near Syracuse, NY and my coverage has been overall good.
    There are a few times I roam but that's rare.
    Sprint's CS has been good too but I rarely have needed to call in.
    I'd say go for it, you have 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprenc View Post
    Here is the informaiton and tips on the Airave.

Works like a charm to have your own cell tower in your house. OK, it may only be 9 inches tall but it's a cell tower!

- Craig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast