1.    #1  
    Greetings all.

I experimented with having Sprint forward my phone on no-answer (e.g. replace the voicemail number) with my Google Voice number. This worked moderately well (there were some annoying gotchas), but the real surprise was when I got my bill.

Turns out that **despite what the tech support guy told me when he set up the new voicemail provider** they do indeed consider changing voicemail to be "forwarding". It's therefore subject to the ridiculous $.20/min charge.

Just FYI, in case anyone else is interested in this and gets a helpful but not-pricing-aware tech support person.

Rob
    I believe if it is a no-answer voicemail forward they are not supposed to charge. If it is setup any other way, then the tech that you spoke with incorrectly setup the forwarding and you got charged for it.

Thats my 2 cents about what I know.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This has been discussed in other threads on this forum. There is absolutely no way to get around call forwarding charges with sprint. It doesn't matter if you are forwarding to a 3rd party voicemail. They will still charge you $0.20/minute. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Yes Sprint does charge on forwarding, but I believe November 8th Sprint will get rid of call forwarding for the Google voicemail, I believe its called conditional call forwarding
    Changes to call forwarding are coming on the 8th. Conditional call forwarding, like is required for other voicemail services like YouMail and Google Voice VVM will be no charge. Unconditional call forwarding, meaning your phone never rings it just gets forwarded straight through to another phone number (like your home or work number), will still be $0.20/min.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Changes to call forwarding are coming on the 8th. Conditional call forwarding, like is required for other voicemail services like YouMail and Google Voice VVM will be no charge. Unconditional call forwarding, meaning your phone never rings it just gets forwarded straight through to another phone number (like your home or work number), will still be $0.20/min.
    Het everybody!!! I just got an email from YouMail:

Did you sign up with YouMail only to find out Sprint charges 20c/minute for call forwarding? And even worse – you had to call Sprint customer support to set it up?

GREAT News! Sprint has removed those pesky per minute call forwarding charges and no longer requires technical support to enable call forwarding. Hurray!

Now, Sprint customers can use YouMail as their mobile voicemail and get these great benefits.

See a list of your messages and scroll and listen to voicemail on your phone, online or email
    Save your voicemails forever and share with anyone
    Greet callers by name or assign different greetings to different callers
    Block unknown and unwanted callers

looks like we can finally use free call forwarding!!! Nov 8th was true after all.