1.    #1  
    A few months ago my Centro was dead so I brought it into a Sprint store in Rockville, MD for them to take a look. I dropped it off mid-afternoon and arranged to pick it up first thing the next morning.

When I arrived the next morning the clerk called the technician (who wasn't there) and asked for the status on my phone. She relayed to me that the technician had looked at it, including trying a new battery but the phone was dead. Of course they wanted to sell me a new phone. I looked into getting a Pre, but because I'm on a family plan it was price-prohibitive; see:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/cd...ml#post1866346

Flash forward five weeks: I bought a used Centro on Ebay. While I was fiddling with it, I wound up inserting its battery into my old phone, and discovered to my surprise that it worked.

In retrospect, it's clear that the Sprint technician never looked at my phone, and told his colleague to tell me that he had examined it, even though he really hadn't.

I don't have any proof or recourse, and at least for now I have a spare Centro while I wait for all my family's contracts to expire in a year. I'll probably move to T-mobile then since you can get an Android phone on an a la carte basis rather than upgrading all your lines, as is required on Sprint and AT&T.
    Sadly this is what has become of Sprints Service at the Stores. I'm sure there are some good Techs ( I'm one for not a Phone company) . But they seem to not really fix or even check anything. Why would they when they get kickbacks from Asusion from the insurance claims.
    The carry no parts any more and basically everything is Damage beyond repair. This will get you a warranty replacement or an Insurance replacement . I just don't see how they get away with selling a service they have no way of providing.
    what was your phone originally brought in for in the first place? water damaged? just randomly woke up and poof it was dead?
    Your Favorite Pre totin Sprint Rep
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Sadly this is what has become of Sprints Service at the Stores. I'm sure there are some good Techs ( I'm one for not a Phone company) . But they seem to not really fix or even check anything. Why would they when they get kickbacks from Asusion from the insurance claims.
    The carry no parts any more and basically everything is Damage beyond repair. This will get you a warranty replacement or an Insurance replacement . I just don't see how they get away with selling a service they have no way of providing.
    I can assure you that corporate repair centers stock parts. I can also assure you that corporate repair centers are very geared towards trying to solve the customers issues since a large chunk of the technicians pay is based on customer satisfaction surveys.

If I had to guess I would assume he went to a non corporate owned service center as they are more sales oriented and largely use S&R traffic to try and get sales out of them.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    what was your phone originally brought in for in the first place? water damaged? just randomly woke up and poof it was dead?
    It was due to this wierd sync problem, which I now think was at least partially due to a bad sync-cable which I've now replaced.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...wont-boot.html

Since I had stumped the panel here on TreoCentral, my next step was to bring the Centro to a Sprint store.
    if you had insurance what should have happened is the rep should have done an "advanced exchange"...when they cant fix it in store, they order u a new one. without insurance it would have cost u 35 dollars to get the replacement...either way im sure it would have been cheaper than buyin a used one on ebay and the replacement would have been in a lot better condition. there is an issue with the hot synch ports goin bad and the phone continually goes into hotsync mode. im sorry u got a bad/ lazy rep...

as for it being a corporate or 3rd party store....i love the ongoing battle...."3rd party stores suck...they never know whats going on" says the corp employee. " corp stores never know what they are doin" says the 3rd party employee... i personally work for a 3rd party store and my stores csats are consistantly over a 90 and for the last 2 months have been at 100%. my locations have actually caused the corp locations here in my area to shut down their s&r locations.
    Dont take the "i bet it was a 3rd party store" crap too seriously. just know that maybe that location has some inproving to do and let em know. call *2 n see if you can log some sort of complaint or something, they cant improve unless people speak up to a department that has some pull, not an online forum of sypathetic customers and reps.
    Your Favorite Pre totin Sprint Rep
    It really depends on the people that work there. I've been to the sprint store enough to know that the people working at the one in Richmond VA (both stores) are good people and don't **** around (at least the people I have seen).

Even the one in Tyson's Corner VA seemed bored; but when I bugged then about my screen they still sent me a free replacement.

That was 2 corporate and a 3rd party I went to. There's no real pattern other than if the workers and techs are stupid, the whole store looks like they are sheisty mofo's.

Sometimes though, you need to seem a little peeved. Workers who hate their job will try crap like that with you, but if you seem annoyed enough that they don't want to deal with you mad, you can get things like your phone replaced or speedier service. It's sheisty, but you know what, if they can try to blow you off or screw around with you, you can play back and make a little noise.
  8.    #8  
    I've been known to be unpleasant in situations like that, but in this case I was a perfect gentleman.

I was told that a replacement Centro would cost me several hundred dollars [I don't have insurance], but we didn't dig into the specifics. Of course I could get a cheap [new] Centro by signing another 2-year contract [mine expires next month], but that's not very appealing. I would've gladly signed a 1-year contract, but that wouldn't have gotten me very far.

I have no idea whether or not it was a third-party store. It says "Sprint" on the store, and they don't sell anybody else's phones there, but perhaps there's something I don't understand.