Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I donít see how fewer cell phone providers are good for consumers.
    Yeah, competition keeps pricing down. I hope that any merger doesn't effect my current contract with Sprint, the pricing on it is way better than any plan ATT, Verizon, or T-mobile offers.
    Though I'm on the fence about this idea T-Mo has a better customer service rating and their plans are cheap. Where they suck (at least here) is in their coverage, which is why I picked Sprint over them (cheap, good coverage, poor cust service.)
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    If they do merge I wonder what color they'll use. Pink and yellow doesn't go well together.

And perhaps call the new company...T-Sprint?
    ... yet another topic that doesn't belong in the Pre Forum (seems to be a rash of them lately).
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Sprint Mobile! lol, hope this doesn't happen.
    Reminds me of the first time that I jumped ship from Verizon to Cingular, service was decent and I had no complaints. When AT&T took over (or re-assimilated) Cingular I started getting spam text messages that they wouldn't reverse the charges (I was on a pay per text plan). I went back to Verizon the day my contract expired.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    WOOH STOP a minute. The merger and our services would be a mess but there is a much more devastating part to this.
    *****************URGENT*******************Yes it would be bad if T-Mobile and Sprint combine but unless I missed it in someones comment there is the worst part of this story. Deutsche Telekom is a German (overseas) company. This would take the majority interest out of the United States. With the G4 work being done and the lease of NexTel's older system to the US Government, that would give control of the communications of the Government and the most advanced (G4) system to a someone outside of the USA. Do you get this? This is VERY bad. Look into this. Please if you know what I am talking about add to this.

yeah those crazy germans they might go all nazi on us again.

dude- it's germany not north korea.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    my 2 cents-

regulators- big deal- I read the merged company would still be smaller than VZ. And the feds just let vz buy up all tell.

"all" the analysts seem to think 4 main players is too many in the space now that the market is maturing.

I'm not sure but I think LTE seems to be the major 4g technology just like GSM wont up being way more widespread than CDMA. Granted sprint is deep in wimax but it's going to leave them with yet another global disadvantage going forward. Verizon and their european partner (vodaphone) decided to go LTE I think with that in mind. Any merged T-Mobile and sprint would likely kill wimax - probably sell it to cable or clearwire. Iden is dead long term- no? Doesnt sprint need to vacate much of the iden frequencies and move it to 1900 anyway? (why are they still activating iden phones???) So basically a combined company could be CDMA with LTE- just like verizon. T-mobile basically just started their 3.5g upgrade- they could stop that and just go whole hog into LTE. And then the combined company could roam on the other 2 major US networks and most everywhere in the world 4G.

would it cost TONS- for sure, but it's not unheard of for carriers with to get hodgepodge networks and then convert them over. Sprint way back when (MUCH smaller) actually had gsm but ditched it for CDMA. ATT/Cingulair is a hodgepodge of many networks that they have integrated into GSM over the years. It's only recently that sprint totally botched the whole thing. Other times similar technology conversions have happened- Directv or Dish bought up competitors with different technology and converted people over. So if sprint and t-mobile thought they can't survive alone in the 4g space - and lets be serious- it's certainly not a given that BOTH sprint and t-mobile can survive against ATT and Verizon both going LTE with their major market share- then now would be the last moment to hook up and get on the LTE bandwagon before they went out of business.

I just dont see the feds letting verizon buy sprint- THAT WOULD be too big. But i dont think verizon wants sprint anyway. They have their own network that pretty much covers everything sprint does and then some- sprint would have to be a very cheap price to be cheaper than verizon just plugging away with ads and phone subsidies to steal away chunks of sprint every month like they have been.

just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    yeah those crazy germans they might go all nazi on us again.

dude- it's germany not north korea.
    Has not a thing to do with Germany in the way you seem to read. The point is contoling interest of the nextel system that is going to be used for the government to be controlled by any outside interest! The second less important part is G4. Funny how you take notice yet. Our fellow member from Germany in this thead read it as it was ment.
    Generally I have now problem with Germany and purchase products from there like my BMW & wife's MINI Copper.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Has not a thing to do with Germany in the way you seem to read. The point is contoling interest of the nextel system that is going to be used for the government to be controlled by any outside interest! The second less important part is G4. Funny how you take notice yet. Our fellow member from Germany in this thead read it as it was ment.
    Generally I have now problem with Germany and purchase products from there like my BMW & wife's MINI Copper.
    Not trying to start a pissing match- but again- big fat so what? For the foreseeable future they are our ally. Goofing aside I dont see your point at all. So what am i missing?

you worried they can send some kill switch to the network if they get pissed at us? hasn't sprint already outsourced running their infrastcuture to erricson- maybe the scandanavians could get us too?

Most (all?) of the equipment that ALL the wireless networks are built with are from "foreigners" too- sony, ericson, nortel (before it kaput'd), ericson, alcatel. Maybe they all put in backdoors to bug the communicaton?

Probably all the same make much of the wired phone network switch gear too.

Many of the computers the government runs have components made in china- it's just very recently that they started to make deals with intel and the like to start to keep key chips made in the US for government use.

and beyond all that I'm sure the feds have the ability to block the sale- so they can just force a divestiture of the iden network if into a spun off "all-american" company.

The G4 (I think you mean 4th generation?)- is hardly any big deal. Verizon has their 4G LTE network up in a few cities now for testing and plans to go live next year. Att is about a year behind- also with LTE. Verizon plans to leapfrop the sprint deployment in a couple years after that. So for 2-3 years the wimax network would be run by "outsiders" - i dont see the issue.

so I'm not following what the problem is you are seeing? Can you explain it more specifically, that even if T-Mobile bought sprint and kept the iden network why that would be a problem?
    EFUDD - We might as well have other countries sit in the house and congress and don't forget the front line. Are you really this narrow minded? Read up on the lease that the Government is working out with Sprint. Part of the future Government SECURE communications is going to use the older soon to be unused Nextel system and be maintained by Nextel personal that have cleared government clearances. This is what you would not mind a country (any country) other than the USA to have control/ownership of?

If you were unaware/uninformed then please look into it and I mean no harm by my remarks.

As far a 4g (not g4 typo) I would not mind it going overseas even though I would like to see it stay here.

Oh and by the way the US government also has control of the MAIN severs for the international backbone of the internet. Should we just give that up to?

And lastly, about your comment in post 47. This is not about Germany the country. And how dare you imply anything about the past to stereotype my opinion.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 09/17/2009 at 11:39 AM.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    ... yet another topic that doesn't belong in the Pre Forum (seems to be a rash of them lately).
    Good thing your not the forum police. Plus its in the right spot on this forum. The CDMA-North America section...you know a "sub forum".....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    maybe actually it should be the LTE vs Wimax forum- laughing.

But anyway- seems like maybe all this amounts to clearwire is running out of money to build their/sprints 4G network and is looking for ways to get more money. Seems they need 2.3 Billion- YES with a B. (sound like that's on top of the 3 Billion invested by sprint and others?).

So far Comcast told them they aren't coughing up anymore. But Sprint says they will contribute whatever it takes (where do they plan on getting the money?- would they have it- I dont have a clue there?). Sprint's Hesse willing to fill Clearwire's funding gap--if there is one - FierceBroadbandWireless

But looks like T-Mobile has cash and no real 4G plan in the US so they are mulling over if they should invest in clearwire to get access to the clearwire network for 4g. Deutsche Telekom Said to Be in Talks With Clearwire (Update3) - Bloomberg.com
    or
    Report: DT now wants access to Clearwire, MetroPCS spectrum for 4G - FierceBroadbandWireless

then to complicate it all clearwire say's they aren't locked in to WiMax and they would switch to LTE if that's what the market demands. Clearwire CEO says company could easily switch to LTE from WiMAX if necessary Would T-Mobile ask clearwire to go LTE in exchange for the 2 billion that clearwire needs? I dont have a clue.
    Word at the Channel Partners show on South Beach today is that this this acquisition came extremely close to happening but is now dead. The stock price doubled but is now back to $3 or so.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    the most recent articles i could find on the net seemed to be saying T-Mobile was now focused on working a deal with clearwire to get access to that network- is that the gist that came accross at the show? or is it dead dead?
    Not sure. That would seem to make sense.

There were some heavey hitters from Sprint in town and the sentiment seemed to be relief.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I don't think the deal is likely, but if Deutsche Telekom ('DT') did acquire Sprint, it would mostly be about spectrum. Over time, all technologies would be migrated to match those of the rest of the group or divested.

Also, I would disagree that T-Mobile has worse customer service than Sprint. They've been rated #1 for nearly 5 years. They do have coverage issues which could be addressed with additional spectrum and they have a lot of catching up to do on 3G deployment. I, personally, have traveled extensively in the US and overseas and I have yet to go anywhere that I didn't have service, even when the coverage map indicated none. As to affordability, my service runs me ~$87/month (all in) for unlimited voice, unlimited data and 400 messages (SMS/MMS). I haven't seen an available plan on another network that matches it.

Other items of note and considerations:

Doesn't sony erickson own a grip of the sprints CDMA towers
    Sprint has been selling and leasing back certain assets (primarily towers) in order reduce debt. Not owning the towers may have some disadvantages for DT.

More significantly, Sprint outsourced network operations to Ericsson, the switching equipment manufacturer, not to be confused with their JV with Sony, which manufactures handsets. Ericsson has responsibility for the day-to-day services, provisioning and maintenance for the Sprint-owned CDMA, iDEN and wireline networks. Effectively, Sprint is no longer an operator. They do sales, marketing and customer service. Network management would be considered a core competency of DT so there are likely a multitude of issues and opportunities in this area.

Given net churn of 1-1.2 million customers per quarter, they need to reduce operating expenses if they ever hope to return to profitability. Outsourcing of operations/functions also relate to this effort. Despite efforts to sell bulk use of its network, it remains woefully under-utilized. DT would likely phase out CDMA, etc., in favor of GSM and other technologies utilized by the group. Transition management is the name of the game.

Sprint's current 4G strategy and data service rely on Clearwire's WiMax network on the 2GHz spectrum. Sprint is a substantial shareholder but I haven't seen any indication that they are locked into the service or technology. This spectrum is substantially the basis for DT's interest. Whether they would buy Sprint or invest in Clearwire is subject to debate, but as it stands, T-Mobile (US) has no spectrum for 4G. NONE!

This could be a great way to "divest" iDEN off, become lean
    The iDen network is still supporting a substantial chunk of Nextel customers. This part of the business is largely segregated and, as a result of the merger, part of the iDen network in the Midwest is being divested. Another significant concern is that the iDen business is the only customer of, and completely dependent on Motorola for handsets and network equipment. Its difficult to imagine what Sprint's strategy or objective is with this segment, let alone what DT might do.

The final segment of business to consider is Sprint's Business Markets group which focuses on private/public communications networks for business and government customers. Sprint has recently allocated sales, support, marketing and operations personnel to form this separate unit almost as a stand-alone. They have been very successful in securing contracts for the integrated emergency services networks created from spectrum made available as a result of the digital broadcast television transition, as well as contracts for other public/private networks. The interesting point about this business is that DT has a substantial business delivering similar services all over the world except in the US. This unit could be a nice addition to T-Systems.

All in all, its a post-merger management challenge that doesn't exactly make the deal sweet but it isn't unthinkable.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne.treo View Post
    Sprint's current 4G strategy and data service rely on Clearwire's WiMax network on the 2GHz spectrum. Sprint is a substantial shareholder but I haven't seen any indication that they are locked into the service or technology. This spectrum is substantially the basis for DT's interest. Whether they would buy Sprint or invest in Clearwire is subject to debate, but as it stands, T-Mobile (US) has no spectrum for 4G. NONE!
    I think that about sums it up perfectly.

thanks for the other insight- interesting read.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Really hope Sprint gets bought.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i said to sprint corporate:

i would like first off and say what a good job sprint is doing to
    maximize there faults in the past, per customer service, products, and
    plans. My main comment is regarding the merge or buyout with tmobile in
    the works and is being considered Ive been with sprint for 10 years
    loyal customer and at this point I believe the merger or selling sprint
    in my opinion is a bad idea at this time. I think you should maximize
    your current leading products, palm pre, palm pixie,htc hero,samsung hd,
    and htc touch pro 2 all over any and every forum I hear people saying
    their switching to sprint on phonedogs.com to wmpoweruser you guys are