Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay so heres the long and short of it. My wife and I purchased our Pre's online and had them billed to our account. A few days later they let my wife go at her job. Now I have a $1100 bill that I am unable to pay in full. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for over 10 years with no problems and they are not willing to work with me in any way, shape, or form. The most they can give me is "maybe 30 days". I am at a crossroads with my son being disabled and needing a cell phone to stay in constant communication. Does anyone have any ideas on who it is best to call? I hate to sound desperate, but I can't understand why they won't work with me. I know it is my responsibility to pay my bill in full, which I have always done, and now when I hit a rough spot they turned their back on me. I even thought about perhaps trying to get donations from the forum, but I figured admins wouldn't like that sort of thing. Please offer any advice you can.

Cheers,
    Robert
    Giving you 30 days isn't enough? That sounds quite generous actually.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the help there Nick. Really insightful. What I am asking for is a payment plan. I know others have gotten that. I don't think it's too much to ask for 10 years of loyalty.
    A few days after you bought 2 Pre's, you knew the bad news.

Take em back. Get a refund. It may not be what you want but that's life.

Sprint isn't a bank. You can't afford it if you need a payment plan.
    I am really sorry you're in this situation. I have two thoughts for you.

1. You say you need a cell phone, but do you need a Pre? I know you WANT your Pre, but perhaps turning it in and getting an inexpensive pre-paid something or other would be your best course of action.

2. Probably credit is difficult for you right now, but I believe you can pay a Sprint bill with a credit card.

By the way, I wouldn't say Sprint is "turning their back" on you. It's harsh, but you have always had merely a business relationship with Sprint, nothing more. If you can't pay, the relationship ends. It's just business.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If you're within your 30 days, you could return both Pre and get free or low-cost phones. If not, you could sell your Pre on eBay or Craigslist and use this to pay down the bill.

If you indeed truly can't pay your bill and they cancel your account (unfortunate, yes), you could buy a prepaid phone from another carrier to get you through your difficulties. If you can't afford this last option, then I'm not sure what to suggest.

It's definitely difficult for both parties. Unlike a simple unpaid bill (e.g., a doctor bill) you can't simply pay in installments or make a partial payment (which many will accept, just to get something at all) because there's on ongoing service being provided and for which charges continue to accrue.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Thanks for the help there Nick. Really insightful. What I am asking for is a payment plan. I know others have gotten that. I don't think it's too much to ask for 10 years of loyalty.
    Watch the attitude. No need for that.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    can u return the phones? has it been 30 days?
    Why did you pay full price for the phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I am really sorry you're in this situation. I have two thoughts for you.

1. You say you need a cell phone, but do you need a Pre? I know you WANT your Pre, but perhaps turning it in and getting an inexpensive pre-paid something or other would be your best course of action.

2. Probably credit is difficult for you right now, but I believe you can pay a Sprint bill with a credit card.

By the way, I wouldn't say Sprint is "turning their back" on you. It's harsh, but you have always had merely a business relationship with Sprint, nothing more. If you can't pay, the relationship ends. It's just business.
    i would go with option 2
    if you really want to keep them
    pay with a credit card and there's your payment plan
  11.    #11  
    Nick, you don't need to tell me what to do, but thanks. I got the phones when everything was fine and dandy. No one could have predicted this would happen. Like I said, there is no reason that paying and extra 400 dollars a month should not be acceptable to them. That's not too much to ask. The bill would be current before 3 months is up.

And Nick...it wasn't attitude, it was just a statement. I asked for help and you offered none but posted anyway. That sir is crappy. I have helped others out with advice here before, and I am in turn asking the same.
    Nick, you don't need to tell me what to do, but thanks. I got the phones when everything was fine and dandy. No one could have predicted this would happen. Like I said, there is no reason that paying and extra 400 dollars a month should not be acceptable to them. That's not too much to ask. The bill would be current before 3 months is up.

And Nick...it wasn't attitude, it was just a statement. I asked for help and you offered none but posted anyway. That sir is crappy. I have helped others out with advice here before, and I am in turn asking the same.
    And I have helped others too, if you can see by my Thanked count. I'm sorry if my 30 day comment came across as not helping.

Sorry about your wife losing her job. Hope she gets back on her feet soon.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    @OP:

i know you said you need a phone for personal reasons, but if you cant take back the phones (over 30 days), you can contact sprint to put you account in a "vacation" status. they wont charge you full price of your phone plan (like $4 per month) but you wont be able to use thier services. at least you can keep your account (if thats what your looking for).

..but yeah like some of the other posters on here, give the phones back if you can.
    Look, I'm not going judge, because I've been there.

But be honest with yourself: You have to return the phones. Buy them again when you can afford them. I mean, cell service is critical according to you. Not smartphone service on a new Palm Pre.
    In the current economic environment a reasonable payment plan for a 10-yr customer doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. Any luck with Rententions?

So sorry to hear about your wife's job. I hope things turn around very soon!
  16.    #16  
    Past the return time on them, or else I would do it. I told them I would send them 400 extra on top of my bill for the next 3 cycles, but that's not good enough for them. Its not about not having the money ever....just not all at once. And I have never (and proudly I might add), never had a credit card, always paid cash and on time, and still have pretty good credit.
    Take the phones back if you find yourself in a bad situation there is no need to be paying 1100 for cell phones. That money can be used in other needed ways, if you guys are going to be hurting with your wife being unemployed. Go back to your old phones or get a couple cheap ones. With your son you need a cell phone but not really a pre.

I know personally I wouldn't donate money for you to get a pre. They're are alot of other worthy causes. If you really needed a phone a couldn't get one I might be willing to donate a old phone to one in your position.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I've been with sprint for about ten years myself. If I couldn't pay the bill I would EXPECT then to shut my phone off. Its a business. Everyone goes through hard times but you can't exoect them to bend over backwards to everyone having financial problems.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Okay so heres the long and short of it. My wife and I purchased our Pre's online and had them billed to our account. A few days later they let my wife go at her job. Now I have a $1100 bill that I am unable to pay in full. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for over 10 years with no problems and they are not willing to work with me in any way, shape, or form. The most they can give me is "maybe 30 days". I am at a crossroads with my son being disabled and needing a cell phone to stay in constant communication. Does anyone have any ideas on who it is best to call? I hate to sound desperate, but I can't understand why they won't work with me. I know it is my responsibility to pay my bill in full, which I have always done, and now when I hit a rough spot they turned their back on me. I even thought about perhaps trying to get donations from the forum, but I figured admins wouldn't like that sort of thing. Please offer any advice you can.

Cheers,
    Robert

I didnt even get passed the line where it was stated your son is disabled and NEEDS a cell phone..there are PLENTY other options and routes to take he doesnt NEED palm PRE
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    OK i FINISHED reading it..not you want donations what part of the game is that..do we get some of your minutes if we help pay LOL..wow..this is the funniest thing Ive heard today
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast