Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Maybe now is a fantastic time to really start thinking about actually having some savings. You really have to think something is wrong if you were making a combination six figure salary (as you said) before your wife lost her job and you could not afford your $1,100 bill. Unfortunately you are not alone, most people just do not save wisely anymore. I am glad everything worked out for you but let this be a lesson for next time because you may not be so lucky.
    Well after reading more of this thread I'm betting, under 30, votes Democrat if he votes.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman1 View Post
    Well after reading more of this thread I'm betting, under 30, votes Democrat if he votes.
    i dont get it.

I wish a Mod would lock this thread already, its going in circles and the guy already got everything worked out on his end. Why anyone is trying to force financial advice on the guy is beyond me.
  5.    #85  
    Yup, that's me. Always blaming others. You figured me out.

As I said, I have no problem paying my bills, its just that I fell behind on this one, and OBVIOUSLY, someone with EMPATHY realized that and helped me out.

All I wanted from you guys was a little bit of advice, and some gave it. The ones who made a joke of it were the ones that can go screw.
    Sometimes people can be so freakin stupid its amazing, first off this guy is not asking for money second he has already fixed his situation get alife and quit being selfish
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7.    #87  
    That's right bbossman, you are correct.

I am 35 and a 17 year registered Republican, although I did not vote for McCain in this election.

Oh wait.....that makes you WRONG!!!

I served 4 years in the Navy, and have worked at the same job now for over 10 years.

I don't believe in entitlement, but I do believe in leiniency when someones back is against the wall.

Now Sprint let me have my payment plan and they have a customer for life. Nothing would make me switch.

B
    mods, lock this one up

@powerbyte: cool that you got it straightend out, but seriously, is a Pre worth it this much? Its a cool *** device, but maybe you should resort to a cheaper monthly plan and rely on laptops or PC for internet access.

To each his own I guess, but just trying to help you out because the debts WILL accumulate AND ADD UP. (just a thought)

Anyhow, mods should lock this one up
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I would like to know who actually has a Pre and a plan, and still has enough saved up to last them for more than a month let alone 6 months like Suzie "buy my books to show you how to save money" Orman.
    I do! But it's thanks to Dave Ramsey and not Suzie Orman. And I didn't buy Dave's book either, I got it from the library!
    I forgot just how stupid I am and smart you are. I sincerely hope that you find pleasure in kicking a fellow human when he is down. Have fun with that, but in the meantime screw you for judging me.
    It's not "kicking a fellow human when he is down". You could have prevented everything that happened.

We gave you a ton of great advice. No need to be hostile.

You really give off the "I'm entitled to live out of my means" attitude and that really puts people off especially when others here make less than you but saved their money and waited until they could afford it over the long-term. Your post really gave a "I'm better than you even though I can't pay my bill" vibe.

In all seriousness, please sell your phones and save some of your money so if something happens again, you're well prepared. Unless you really want to live paycheck to paycheck for the rest of your life.
  11.    #91  
    The problem was not with my bill....I was fine with that. The cost of the two devices (and yes that was poor planning on my part) put us behind the 8 ball. So I offered to pay 537 (my plan cost + 400) for the next 3 months to catch back to speed. The monthly bill was not an issue, nor will it be going forward. It was always just the phones.

And when they are paid off things go back to normal and all is good with world.
    So now we're back to attacks? That's mature. I was doing fine financially thank you, but was thrown a curveball. One time in 10 years is not a lot to ask for a little leeway. And like another poster stated, I stuck with them through all their trials and tribulation...so why not? It' not that I feel entitled to get something for nothing. Not that it matters now because I actually got a human with emotions that understood my problem and went above and beyond to solve it.
    It's not an attack, it's logic. You made $1,100 purchase and then a few days later your wife loses her job. Full well knowing you couldn't pay for the phones because of the loss of income you still kept them. You could of returned them both and could have been out of this mess, but you didn't.

I understand it is tough taking care of an ill person. My wife has been sick for the past 6 years. Things happen that are out of your control, but in this situation you could have fixed it and you didn't. End of story.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13.    #93  
    What I am failing to see is how I give off this I am better than you vibe. I took responsibility for what happened and tried to make ammeds for what happened. The "HELP" I was asking for was simply who to contact in sprint that would enable me to make an agreement. If it didn't come out that way I am truly sorry, but I was frantic when the CS rep basically told me there was nothing she coyld do but 30 days. I turned to PreCentral to see if I would fare any better, and most of what I got was RETURN PHONES SAVE MONEY YOU SUCK YOU ARE A DEMOCRAT ENTITLTEMENT SCUMBAG. And no, that's not what I expected from people who I have even helped out a time or two with advice
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    What I am failing to see is how I give off this I am better than you vibe. I took responsibility for what happened and tried to make ammeds for what happened.
    This part right here, in your original post, is what did it for me:

Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte
    I know it is my responsibility to pay my bill in full, which I have always done, and now when I hit a rough spot they turned their back on me. I even thought about perhaps trying to get donations from the forum, but I figured admins wouldn't like that sort of thing. Please offer any advice you can.
    Basically saying Sprint "turned their back on you" after they only gave you an extra 30 days to pay, and then saying you thought about asking other people to help you pay for your brand new top of the line smartphones.

Alot of people that read these forums only dream of being able to spend $200 on a pre.
    Wow! after reading all these posts, I am a bit shocked at some of the responses.

1) Sometimes people have a hard time being empathetic. Unless they have personal issues, then they have a hard time placing themselves in other's situation.

2) It amazes me how some people try to place a person into a particular political party (There is nothing wrong with being a Democrat/supporting a Democratic party)

3) Even after the OP resolved his situation, members still harped on miniscule points.

Lets all sit back and think a little bigger (out side of the box) If I have had a customer for 10 years and they hit a rough spot in their life. I would allow some form of payment method to help support the customer. If we make everything black/white then more than likely thing will fail. Sometimes we need to move into the gray zone in order to keep a balance. The "obvious" thing would be to return the phone, etc..... but why not allow the customer to have the phone and allow him and his wife to make payments towards it? The most successful businesses are the ones which take care of their customers.

More people will live outside of their means, hence this is why the credit card companies are so prosperous and the banks are making a killing on refinancing and 1st, 2nd, & 3rd mortgages.

So why not use a bit of empathy and try to help the OP. Suggestions like (I Know these were mentioned):
    1) Return phones
    2) Pay via Credit Card
    3) Speak to Retention/Someone in CS to see if they can work something out.
    4) Sell phones

Some suggestion on saving. Make a spreadsheet and budget which bills you will have. Look at how much you have in your checking account. Automatically subtract what you have in checking from the bills you owe. The account for Gas, Food, etc. (the basic necessities) now look at ho much you have remaining. Also build up a decent savings for emergencies. So that way if you prefer not to use credit cards you can transfer $ from Savings to checkin and utilize that saved money to help in your payments and then slowly repay the savings act back till its back to a standard you prefer for a reasonable Safety Net.

GOOD LUCK on you wife finding a new job.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    What I am failing to see is how I give off this I am better than you vibe.
    It's one of the first symptoms.

My meta-advice is for you to not guard your thread so closely in the future that the first guy who offers any input sets you off, and as a result the other baiters, so now we have 4-5 pages of mostly vitriol. Let the non-answers and bait layers roll off your back. Ignore them. It's rule #1 of Internet Troll Defense 101. You just kept feeding them.

As someone who lives on way too thin a margin, I totally sympathize with your situation. I keep planning on getting financially healthy but keep putting it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post
    My meta-advice is for you to not guard your thread so closely in the future that the first guy who offers any input sets you off, and as a result the other baiters, so now we have 4-5 pages of mostly vitriol. Let the non-answers and bait layers roll off your back. Ignore them. It's rule #1 of Internet Troll Defense 101. You just kept feeding them.
    You should teach this Internet Troll Defense 101. I'd sign up.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    What I am failing to see is how I give off this I am better than you vibe. I took responsibility for what happened and tried to make ammeds for what happened. The "HELP" I was asking for was simply who to contact in sprint that would enable me to make an agreement. If it didn't come out that way I am truly sorry, but I was frantic when the CS rep basically told me there was nothing she coyld do but 30 days. I turned to PreCentral to see if I would fare any better, and most of what I got was RETURN PHONES SAVE MONEY YOU SUCK YOU ARE A DEMOCRAT ENTITLTEMENT SCUMBAG. And no, that's not what I expected from people who I have even helped out a time or two with advice

Dude. first, relax. Second, I think the problem people had was that their advice to return the phones/sell the phones/get a cheaper plan was their honest and best advice, and you ignored it and kept asking if someone had any real advice for you. None of it was meant as an insult that you're not good enough for a Pre, but seriously, if you can't afford something, you don't keep it.

I'm glad to hear Sprint is willing to work with you, but you still have big payments to make, albeit spread out a bit longer now, that are going to continue to eat into your savings until A) your wife gets a new job, or B) you reduce spending, which brings us right back to the original point of getting rid of the expensive phones and plans.
    The problem was not with my bill....I was fine with that. The cost of the two devices (and yes that was poor planning on my part) put us behind the 8 ball.
    OK, if I get flamed, I get flamed....

Dude, that is your bill. "Your bill" as in what you agreed to pay. I'm glad it worked out for you, but seriously, as soon as she lost her job, you should have said to yourself "I don't think we're going to be able to make the $1200 committment we just made. Good thing we have 30 days to change our minds..."

Saying it's not "the bill" reminds me of Bernadette Peters' comment in "The Jerk" when they lost all their money:

Itís not the money Iíll miss. Itís all of the stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Basically saying Sprint "turned their back on you" after they only gave you an extra 30 days to pay, and then saying you thought about asking other people to help you pay for your brand new top of the line smartphones.
    I'm wondering who out there would wake up one day, find their phone not working, call Sprint and say "OK, I understand, technical problems. Look, I'll keep paying my bill, but please, get it working within the next 30 days."
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast