1.    #1  
    Switched to Sprint after 10 years a T-Mobile customer. During my time with T-Mobile signal/network was never an issue, can't even remember having a droped call with any of the several phones I had with them. As a motorcyclist traveled the entire state of Florida without issues, even when in other states always had service. Bought a Pre on launch day and have had problems with signal and dropped calls every single time I'm in a building. It is not just the Pre either, my wife has a BlackBerry with sprint now, and my son has an Instinct, same problem the minute you go into a building signal disappears. Sprint is sending me a free Airrave to help solve the solution at the hospital where I work, but today was the final straw. My wife and I went to an IHOP restuarant, sat in a booth next to a window and both our phones had absolutely no signal, totaly riduculous. The minute we walked out ot the IHOP, full signal again. How can a cellular phone service have a frequency that does not have any penetration into buildings, most everyone I know spend 80% of their time inside buildings. I've read that this is a known poblem with the Sprint frequency used for their service. Well, I am actually considering paying the $600 to cancel all three phones and switching back to T-Mobile. The Pre is the best smart phone I've ever had (HP Ipaq, HTC Mogul, both Win Mobile devices) both if it has no signal 80% of the time, then what good is it to me. I am very disapointed in Sprint and their signal, what a joke.
    IHop probably had asbestos in the ceiling. Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having. Have you brought it up to Sprint?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    IHop probably had asbestos in the ceiling. Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having. Have you brought it up to Sprint?
    Have you read the first post?

He said he's contacted sprint and getting an airrave, and he says it's any building. Wow I swear why come on a forum if your not going to read?

Sorry to be so rude but I mean when the info you ask is right there...

As for personal experience with sprints network (been on it 7 years) I found when I go inside any warehouse/industrial style building my signal is never there or hanging on with 0-2 bars. Just kinda figured thats the downside of cellphones.
    I had a brief issue with the Pre when I first got it but only for two days and they were having network issues due to some storms. I've been with Sprint for years and I'm all over the tri-county area and never have a problem. The only time I can't get a signal is when I'm offshore or out in the Everglades.

What part of Miami are you in? I'm tempted to drive down and see if I experience the same issue.
  5. TMJ
    I live in Minnesota and have dropped calls right out of the blue. I have been reading that this could be a palm issue, is this true? If so are updated coming in 1.2, by the way bigan I feel your pain
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    Have you read the first post?

He said he's contacted sprint and getting an airrave, and he says it's any building. Wow I swear why come on a forum if your not going to read?

Sorry to be so rude but I mean when the info you ask is right there...
    You are kind of rude, though I should have been more clear in what I meant about reporting to Sprint. Obviously there are some issues in Miami for him, and he was able to get the Airave, but it is important to report signal issues regardless of where he goes.

Sprint is sending me a free Airrave to help solve the solution at the hospital where I work, but today was the final straw.
    Since the last part of his post referred to his trip to IHOP, I was wondering if he had reported that to Sprint. Historically, my experience with Sprint is that they will test the towers in certain areas that are reported trouble spots. The more reports an area gets the more chance it has of being corrected.

By the way, I have been thanked a great many times in these forums in the few months I have been here, so obviously I read the posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigan View Post
    Switched to Sprint after 10 years a T-Mobile customer. During my time with T-Mobile signal/network was never an issue, can't even remember having a droped call with any of the several phones I had with them. As a motorcyclist traveled the entire state of Florida without issues, even when in other states always had service. Bought a Pre on launch day and have had problems with signal and dropped calls every single time I'm in a building. It is not just the Pre either, my wife has a BlackBerry with sprint now, and my son has an Instinct, same problem the minute you go into a building signal disappears. Sprint is sending me a free Airrave to help solve the solution at the hospital where I work, but today was the final straw. My wife and I went to an IHOP restuarant, sat in a booth next to a window and both our phones had absolutely no signal, totaly riduculous. The minute we walked out ot the IHOP, full signal again. How can a cellular phone service have a frequency that does not have any penetration into buildings, most everyone I know spend 80% of their time inside buildings. I've read that this is a known poblem with the Sprint frequency used for their service. Well, I am actually considering paying the $600 to cancel all three phones and switching back to T-Mobile. The Pre is the best smart phone I've ever had (HP Ipaq, HTC Mogul, both Win Mobile devices) both if it has no signal 80% of the time, then what good is it to me. I am very disapointed in Sprint and their signal, what a joke.
    I just came from Miami and I have the pre I had no problems. Check your phones you might want to go in to a Sprint service center and have them update your PRL.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Live in FL, just came from Miami myself, had absolutely no issues. I got my Pre the day it came out and have yet to have a dropped call. Hospitals can be tricky for cell phones, many have repeaters.
    Sprint uses a higher frequency than other carriers (1900mhz vs 800mhz). This difference has both advantages and drawbacks. The higher the frequency, the higher the overal bandwidth available, one of the reasons in real world testing (versus theoretical, which is what AT&T quotes in their ads) Sprint has the fastest network. A disadvantage is that higher frequencies don't penetrate as far into buildings, this can be amplified by additional issues as well.

For example around where I live since it is Southern Arizona, a lot of the newer houses have the Low-E energy windows, several of these designs include a translucent metallic material in them that is extremely good at blocking heat from the sun, but also does a good job at stopping RF reception as well. Outside my house I get about 3 bars (I live in a wash with no direct line of sight to the tower about 1-1/4 miles away. Inside it drops slightly to 2-3 bars depending on where I am, I can still use my phone perfectly, and while we have double-pane windows, they aren't the low-E with the film coating. My friend's house in his neighborhood on the other hand is newer and simply losing line of sight between his house and the tower will cause signal to drop. Since their houses are pretty much right on top of each other compared to mine, the Low-E glass and materials cut the reception dramatically without even being inside. There also are differences depending on exactly how the panels are aimed, if you are right between two panels coverage zones it is more likely to have issues than if you're smack dab in the middle of a single panels area.

My friend's family has gone from AT&T - Verizon - Sprint, all of the carriers have had issues in his neighborhood, and there is a tower less than a mile from them with all of the carriers on it. When talking about signal reception/penetration it isn't cut and dry, this carrier is better than that one, there are a ton of variables to consider and advantages/disadvantages.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jay2 View Post
    I just came from Miami and I have the pre I had no problems. Check your phones you might want to go in to a Sprint service center and have them update your PRL.
    Updating the PRL can help significantly. I had to do this on my BB. I went from loads of drops to none in the blink of an eye. Good catch.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You are kind of rude, though I should have been more clear in what I meant about reporting to Sprint. Obviously there are some issues in Miami for him, and he was able to get the Airave, but it is important to report signal issues regardless of where he goes.

Since the last part of his post referred to his trip to IHOP, I was wondering if he had reported that to Sprint. Historically, my experience with Sprint is that they will test the towers in certain areas that are reported trouble spots. The more reports an area gets the more chance it has of being corrected.

By the way, I have been thanked a great many times in these forums in the few months I have been here, so obviously I read the posts.
    I figured you'd be the typical person on here who gets offended because someone made a reply to their post that wasn't a thanks or "hey thats a great question". But seriously I understand you were just making a quick and vague post but if I didn't ask he would have probably responded with the same response.
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    I figured you'd be the typical person on here who gets offended because someone made a reply to their post that wasn't a thanks or "hey thats a great question". But seriously I understand you were just making a quick and vague post but if I didn't ask he would have probably responded with the same response.
    Lol, who's offended? I wish the OP well, and hope that Sprint can remedy things for him.
    I travel to Miami almost every year as my Primary Vacation spot.....

I have used Sprint for the last 2 years, I have never had an Issue with Sprint in any area of Miami, I thought they covered it more solidly then ATT.

Hotels, Resturants, Dance Club, on the Beach, Musuems and My Friends Apt....Never an issue....
  14.    #14  
    Thank you for all the responses and advice. I work at a hospital located on Coral Way
    (24st.) and the Palmetto expresway. I work at both hospitals at this intersection and have issues with droped calls no signals on the first floor of the buildings, Sprint has been notified. The IHOP was located at Kendall drive (88st.) and 127 ave., don't know about any abestos, but I saw other people on their cell phones while both my wife and I had x signal. My major beef is that while a T-Mobile customer I never had any issues with droped calls. I left T-Mobile only for the Pre. I love the phone's functionality enough to give it more time to see if this issue resolves itself. However if the Palm Pre was available on T-Mobile I would pay the cancelation fee to switch in a heartbeat.