1.    #1  
    Can anyone confirm that Sprint does put a cap on the "unlimited" data? I have seen a lot of people who "think" there is a cap, but is there actually one?
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    There is no cap for data usage on phones. There is a cap for mobile broadband cards on consumer accounts and phone as modem (exception for grandfathered plans before the change).
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    There is no cap for data usage on phones. There is a cap for mobile broadband cards on consumer accounts and phone as modem (exception for grandfathered plans before the change).
    Thanks, I appreciate you answering

I was worried for a bit because I download the PreCentral podcasts on the phone...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    My understanding is that there is fine print that specifically says that 2Gb/mo is the "line" where Sprint might start getting mad at you
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    They never used to even cap broadband cards until recently.
    Where is this fine print located? I need to know for sure.....
    There is a "fair use" policy in place, but no numbered limit on regular phone data plans (again excluding mobile broadband and PAM plans). Obviously if you are using something like 20GB a month on the phone, they are going to be suspicious you are using tethering without a plan, etc. Or if it causes excess strain on the servers, but even downloading podcasts, etc. you won't ever get to that point. I regularly have customers come in that go over 2GB on their phone just with regular usage for work without using PAM and nothing has happened to them.
    Kevin
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Thanks for the info!
    The number I have heard is always 5 Gb per month. But I have also repeatedly hit 2.5-3 Gb over EVDO and probably double that on my WiFi Pre connection for Pandora, Streaming movies, drPodder download, etc.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    It says 5gb on on sprint.com for the Pre.

They do kind of hide it just click into their terms page for their Data plans.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Templarian View Post
    It says 5gb on on sprint.com for the Pre.

They do kind of hide it just click into their terms page for their Data plans.
    Can you provide a link and a quote? Every time I look at the terms, it says it's for data cards. I can't seem to find any mention for phones, much less a specific mention of the Pre.
    Guess your right. But it's really hard to get 5gb using the phone I reach 1gb usually even while listening to Pandora during the month.

Unless you are tethered your not going to hit that 5gb unless you are trying.
    Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.
    old unlimited plans are unlimited.
    new "unlimited"plans are capped at 5gb .

What sucks is there is no way to measure your usage to avoid going over.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

Sure there is. Just log onto your account at Sprint.com and look at the "Usage Details" link next to your phone. Down under "Data/Others" you'll see "Sprint Data" and the amount you've used. It's shown in kilobytes. So far, I've used 29,455KB this billing period. I typically use around 2.5GB a month.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

As posted above there is a way to measure usage online, it is usually updated to within the last hour, but can get backlogged up to 24 hours, not often though.

The new plans since the cap was instituted have not been advertised as "unlimited". They are advertised as having a 5GB cap, have been since the change went into effect.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Noktomezo View Post
    They never used to even cap broadband cards until recently.
    Once the Top 2 Carriers adopted these caps, it became fair for the other carriers as well...I want to see another price fixing inquiry. Why are they raising txting at the same time, Data Limits, and mandating Data Plans??? These carriers need to get spanked a bit. Still better than canada though!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.