1.    #1  
    I work for ATT(national call center) and had a few friends hanging out with me. On a whim I opened my pre and turned my tether on, I then had a buddy with a Iphone 3G connect to my Wifi signal and do a speed test. 2 mb/second down and like 450 kbs up on sprints 3g ....he then connected to ATTs 3g. 1050 kbs down and 130 kbs up.... I was pretty impressed. We both showed full bars, although he told me his has been showing signal when he knows its not there.....excuses are like....well you know the saying

Now I know this really means nothing, thats why i buried it here!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Just let them know your Palm will be happy to share it's superior network any time on your own mobile WiFi hotspot!
    do you have to root your pre for tehering to work? B/c I need this feature but dont know how to root my pre.
  4.    #4  
    wow adan. Your awfully thankful today.....

No you dont need to be rooted. For a $10 donation you can get an installer for it. Search for MY TETHER

Damn. That's awesome. I'm even more excited to get my Pre next week-ish now. Are you sure you don't have to root? I'm almost positive that it's necessary to do so as listed on the MyTether download page.... Unless of course you were being sarcastic somehow....
  6.    #6  
    no, there is an installer available from Aonic. It requires a $10 donation and installs like anyother home brew. You do not have to root, but you do need to be able to get homebrew on it.

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - My Tether turns your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!

7.    #7  
    Funny, just had a buddy here at work ask me to open my wifi so he can play with his DS...i said NOOOOOOO
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 09/02/2009 at 01:25 PM.

Let's get this straight. You work for AT&T, in a call center, and you have a Pre. Cool, show's your independency. Then, you show up the AT&T network with the Sprint network performing 2x better. Awesome story, for Sprint. Really.. did get a laugh. Thx
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Go to dslreprots.com and use their using their speed test tools for speed tests in a systematic way we can all attempt to reproduce.

And btw, just to be unambigious:

mb = is generally taken to mean mega bigs..
    Mb = Mega bits
    MB = Mega Bytes.

there is an order of difference between Mb and MB.
    Last edited by Clack; 09/03/2009 at 04:02 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Go to dslreprots.com and use their using their speed test tools for speed tests in a systematic way we can all attempt to reproduce.

And btw, just to be unambigious:

mb = is generally taken to mean mega bigs..
    Mb = Mega bits
    MB = Mega Bytes.

there is an order of difference between Mb and MB.
    Pretty sure nobody was assuming he got 2 megabytes of download speed, and even if the author may have though it was 'megabytes' the download speed test would never report is as such anyway. However, it is a good point to use the same speed test site when making comparisons as they all tend to vary a lot.

OP what speed test site did you use? Where were you located?
  11.    #11  
    I used Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test both pinged a server in Toronto. I am located in rochester NY. Sorry for the mistake, I guess I thought it was pretty obvious. I will get photos on monday if I can, Not sure who else works on Labor day, so I might Not have a iphone to test on, but I will get screenshots as soon as I can.
    It just make sense though, I mean How many 3g devices on Att...and Rev A on sprint? Its just a numbers thing....

12.    #12  
    If i could get a nickle for every time I have a DBL post on here.....I'd be able to buy another pre!

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Lots of good rumors that she might update to 4G via software which is good for kids like me already in 4G markets. We can only hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeorwned View Post
    Lots of good rumors that she might update to 4G via software which is good for kids like me already in 4G markets. We can only hope.
    Nothing available right now is capable of 4G other than the U300 mobile broadband card. The hardware simply isn't there for the WiMax 802.16 specification.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    I remember hearing in the news lately that they tested the 3G speeds in various markets and found AT&T to be the slowest. Verizon was the fastest, but I'd never know it on my Blackberry Storm since it's browser is embarassingly slow and dated.

But yeah, I see lots of iPhone+AT&T users complaining about the slow speeds....right before they brag about full web-page viewing and Youtube quality.
    Depending on where you use your device speeds will be different in different geographic areas, and even at different times of the day.

Boy Genius Report found Sprint the fastest in download speed by a fair margin, but it wasn't really scientific, it was users performing the speed tests on ther phones and posting the results.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)