1.    #1  
    The HTC Hero will be available for pre-order in 2 weeks (September 13) and then available on Oct 11. Given that there hasn't been much headway with WebOS (in terms of development and more native apps/SDK) are any of you considering picking up the HTC Hero?

I switched from AT&T/iPhone for the Pre but HTC definitely has me looking their way with the Hero.

Check out this review if you're unfamiliar with the Hero (or just for a good read period): coolsmartphone.com/article793.html
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    the android app store has a lot of apps... most of which are useless....android is a very laggy OS imo. Pre ftw
    I think Android is great and will continue to do great.

But I prefer the Apple/Palm model of controlling both the hardware and software. This just makes a better end user experience. Plus I really like the direction the Palm train is heading.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    the android app store has a lot of apps... most of which are useless....android is a very laggy OS imo. Pre ftw
    The "lagginess" of the OS depends on the device it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think Android is great and will continue to do great.

But I prefer the Apple/Palm model of controlling both the hardware and software. This just makes a better end user experience. Plus I really like the direction the Palm train is heading.
    The direction the Palm train is heading? That's what has me considering moving over to the Hero. I had high hopes for WebOS, but a javascript based SDK isn't going to meet my (and many others) needs. I would like games that make use of graphics acceleration, apps like Shazam, etc. But right now (and who knows when if ever) they're not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The "lagginess" of the OS depends on the device it is on.

The direction the Palm train is heading? That's what has me considering moving over to the Hero. I had high hopes for WebOS, but a javascript based SDK isn't going to meet my (and many others) needs. I would like games that make use of graphics acceleration, apps like Shazam, etc. But right now (and who knows when if ever) they're not available.
    The phone has been out barely 3 months. The app store is going live next month. Palm is adding more api's to mojo to take advantage of hardware. HTML5 can handle games if developers want to go that direction.

If you are about to jump I would wait to see how things look once developers can actually start selling apps. That's when we will see apps like Shazam, etc. You don't need native C code to write an app like Shazam. Most of that processing is done on the server side.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    When I first learned about the Hero I was poised and ready to get it. I was super excited to go from AT&T/iPhone to an HTC Hero (on whichever of the major carriers it would land on, all except Verizon. I hate them with a passion. Don't get me started).

Since I've learned about and played with the Pre I've fallen in love with it. I hope to be getting a Pre next week when my AT&T contract ends, though I'll also try out the Hero when it comes out, so maybe I can upgrade if I like what the Hero offers, or maybe my brother would want one. I hear the Android virtual/software based keyboard isn't too bad, though I'd take hardware keyboards any day.

barkerja, when any smartphone marketplace / device comes out it takes some time for stuff to populate. When the iPhone came out, for example, it didn't have the plethora of apps it does now. Sure there was the option to jailbreak, but only about a year ago did Apple open up the SDK for developers and then in turn open the App Store for the public. I think the Pre will be the same way. With all the HomeBrew apps available it'll tide everyone over until Palm catches up with their own apps, and with apps that people here would develop and submit for consideration to be available in the App Catalog. Have some faith and some patience. = )
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Why would you ask a question of all users and then argue with the people who answered your question? Neither were rude and both offered an honest opinion/answer to your original post.
    i still have not seen any concrete evidence of the hero coming to sprint
    i take that back, it passed FCC for CDMA, and is on HTC's website for sprint....decisions...
    Hahaha
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem88 View Post
    Why would you ask a question of all users and then argue with the people who answered your question? Neither were rude and both offered an honest opinion/answer to your original post.
    Because I am a developer (was an iPhone developer before I left those antics behind).
    If the Hero had a physical keyboard I might have switched. I was actually hoping Sprint wouldn't get one because it would make the decision a lot easier to keep the Pre (in all honesty, when it was first unveiled I had told myself "that is a gorgeous phone but I know we'll never see it on Sprint").