Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    ... because of Sprint. First, some background info.

I've been a satisfied Sprint customer for 4 years. I've had Verizon, Nextel, and Sprint. Verizon - America's most expensive wireless network. Plus they decided to charge me 500 minutes of overage one month when a game I downloaded from Get It Now on my Moto T730 connected to the web without warning me first. They gave me a whopping $50 credit on my $250 bill.

I had Nextel right around the time of the Sprint merger. The building penetration was second to none because of the low frequency - as long as you were standing somewhere within their 2 sq ft network.

In my area, Sprint had all the coverage of Verizon, was much cheaper, and I never had any billing errors. All of my phones were great, including the Pre... except for that pesky signal strength problem.

Now don't get me wrong, it was a combination of factors. First of all, Sprint's coverage is pretty poor in the house I moved into last month. With my Mogul and Touch Pro, I never got over 1 bar of service, and was often in 1X roaming. Once I got the Pre, I LIVED in 1x roaming, with the occasional drop completely off the grid. Replacement Pre's had the same result. My Verizon work phone tends to have pretty low service here as well. This is odd because I used to live in an apartment a block away where I got decent coverage.

At first, Sprint told me that the issue was caused by an outage on my local tower, which was causing my phone to waver between the next-closest Sprint tower and the local Verizon tower. Given my past good experiences with their CS, I trusted them, and let my 30-day return period on the Pre expire. AFTER the return period expired, they broke the news to me that it wasn't the tower that was out, it was working perfectly. The network switch it connected to in a city 10 miles away was the original cause of the problem, but they had supposedly fixed it 3 weeks ago.

I spent a few hours a week on the phone with Sprint for the past month, retentions included. The Airave was an option, but nobody could ever tell me when I'd receive one. At first I tried to buy one, and the lady informed me that they were backordered until late September. The following week, the lady I spoke to offered me the device at full price but without the $5 monthly service charge, and told me it would ship within 10 business days. Not so much. The gentleman I spoke to last Sunday said that they'd overnight one to me for free and that they also wouldn't charge me the monthly fee - never showed.

Given TMobile's subpar network and Verizon's high pricing, I decided to try AT&T, who seemed to be a good compromise between pricing (about 1/2 way between Sprint and Verizon) and network. With a BlackBerry Bold and an iPhone 3G, I'm sad to report that everywhere I've gone, AT&T has given me the same service as Sprint or better.

I'll be losing Mobile TV (which I never used) and free navigation (which I never used), but first and foremost, I need my phones to work well at home. The secondary need is for them to work well everywhere I go, which has also been the case with these phones so far. As far as battery life is concerned, the 3G lasts longer with Yahoo push enabled and AIM connected than the Pre does with only AIM. The BlackBerry is night and day - With my BIS Mail, Gmail, and Facebook all pushed to it, and AIM and GTalk connected all day, and GSync running every 2 hours (same schedule as the Pre), I've had my phone off the charger since 9:30 this morning (it's 3:30 in the afternoon now) and I've spent about 20 minutes browsing, made 3 quick (< 2 minute) phone calls, fired off a couple of emails, and sent/received about 50 messages on AIM. My battery's at 90% as I write this.

I'd have to call the Pre a phone that shows a lot of potential, both the device itself (aside from its crucial flaws) as well as for Palm's WebOS as a whole. If AT&T offered the Pre, we'd probably have that on Line 2 in place of the iPhone. Line 1 would still be the Bold, because I've heard that the GSM Blackberries get battery life that's almost comparable to a CDMA dumbphone, and so far I can honestly say that even my awesome old Sanyo 8300 couldn't last as long on AIM as this 'Berry can.

This debacle just shows the major downside to carrier exclusives. I'm outside my 30 day window on the Pre, so I wouldn't be able to return it... if Palm offered a WebOS phone on another carrier, they would have been able to sell another phone. At the moment, they've backed themselves into a corner by relying on Sprint, who I'm sorry to say has gone downhill. I used to swear by their service, but ever since they completed their integration with Nextel (and merged the customer service and billing systems), I've heard horror stories about the CS - and have now lived it.

I honestly would have loved to work things out with Sprint, but when my >$500 smartphones drop calls and my friend's 6 year old AT&T Nokia 1100 is rock solid in my house... you get the idea. If they'd sent the Airave, or if Palm had ensured that the Pre had at least the signal strength of its predecessors, the story would have had a very different ending.

In conclusion, I have the following advice:

If you have Sprint and are thinking about the Pre, consider your service as it stands with your current phone. Have you ever dropped any calls? If not, and if you've consistently had crystal clear calls without lag or static, then take the Pre for a spin, because there's a good chance that it'll meet your needs if you can get past the relatively short battery life and don't work or play in conditions that could damage it (since it does feel relatively fragile). Take full advantage of your 30 day return policy - try within reason to go everywhere you can think of where you'll need your phone to work.

If you don't have Sprint, take them for a spin, regardless of which phone you choose. Different carriers work best in different areas, and I'm not kidding at all when I say that everywhere except my house, Sprint was rock solid in my area with every phone I've had except the Pre (I've had a few other network issues with the Pre related to its low signal strength). Again, take full advantage of the 30 day return policy.

If you're with Sprint and thinking of switching, it might not be a terrible idea to take another carrier for a spin. They all have a 30 day trial period, with the exception of TMobile (14 days). You can try out Verizon by locking your phone into Roaming mode - once in Roaming, you're on Verizon's network, as you probably know. Don't bother getting a prepaid phone for your trial - go to a local store (Walmart tends to have good phone pricing, at least on AT&T), pick up the phone you'd want to have on that network so you can give it an accurate shot! If you decide not to keep it, they'll only charge you for the days you use. It's a bit more expensive than using a prepaid phone to test, but it's also a more accurate test, and if you decide to keep the new carrier, you can just call up and port your numbers over to close your Sprint account.

Most of this is common sense, but I know I personally was on the fence about leaving Sprint after 4 years of good coverage and customer service. It may be awesome in your area, and if so, the Pre is an awesome phone - but if not, you might be glad you gave another carrier a shot.
    Wow, either there's a database issue or i have the first post in a thread I didn't start!

This is quite the feat!
    lol. classic start to a never ending thread! i just ordered a tour! looooove the pre, but HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THE TERRIBLE BATTERY LIFE!!!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    lol. classic start to a never ending thread! i just ordered a tour! looooove the pre, but HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THE TERRIBLE BATTERY LIFE!!!
    I just got the Pre on Friday. Thank god for the 30 day return policy. I want to stick with Sprint so I guess I'll have to go with the Tour.

.......Unless Palm releases some major updates within the next month.
    I was one of those "on the fence" people and a former BB owner. The Pre has it all over the BB in functions, but as far as battery life it leaves much to be desired. I probably will end up getting an extended battery.
    I hated the battery life and the super-slick "drop me" exterior, got the 2600 Siedio extended battery, and am now content on both issues.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Palm needs to make some moves in the near future im getting disappointed with Pre and and WebOS, thinking of going back with windows
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Don't worry. It's really very easy. First start off by saying how much you love the Pre and list all of the other Palm devices that you have owned in the past. Then completely trash the company, the device, and then the platform. Finally, put in a plug for the competing device you are going to replace it with and then ask not to flamed. Be sure to come back for futher discussions on the device that you don't plan to use anymore.
    This is so dead on that it's almost unreal. This is the exact format of every thread of its kind. Kudos, UntidyGuy.
    Ok, as far as battery life goes, don't kick the phone in the first week or two. It gets better as the battery gets broken in (believe it or not.) The newer lithium ion batteries in the Pre do NOT require full depletion and recharge like their lithium polymer brothers, rather, its been claimed all over the precentral forums that this can damage the battery.

There are a handful of battery-extending tips for Pre newbies out there (don't be embarrassed, we were all one at one time =] ). Check anywhere on precentral, or just do a google search for them.

While the bb devices do have the pre in battery life, don't worry, it makes up for it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    The pre gets great reception and great battery life for me.

Also, my cat is hanging out in the shade. Should I give her some more cat food? Oh I don't know the neighbors cat might eat it. Rats I have to get some more milk, the wife didn't get enough. The other day I was driving home from work when I had to stop and get gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerman272 View Post
    Ok, as far as battery life goes, don't kick the phone in the first week or two. It gets better as the battery gets broken in (believe it or not.) The newer lithium ion batteries in the Pre do NOT require full depletion and recharge like their lithium polymer brothers, rather, its been claimed all over the precentral forums that this can damage the battery.

There are a handful of battery-extending tips for Pre newbies out there (don't be embarrassed, we were all one at one time =] ). Check anywhere on precentral, or just do a google search for them.

While the bb devices do have the pre in battery life, don't worry, it makes up for it.
    dude, i have had my pre since before they were released to the public, i was our store advocate. Ive had windows mobile phones, blackberries, iPhones, you name it. I love the Pre but the battery life on this phone is horrid, even after all the battery tweaks. Hands down the worst battery ive ever used.

You also are correct about lithium ion batteries. There is no conditioning or cycling period. Li-ion batteries are fine from first charge. They DONT like to be deep cycled.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    My Pre gets far better battery life than any of my Windows Mobile devices...