1.    #1  
    My partner & bought identical PREs this month. The highest signal strength I have seen on mine is two bars. In identical locations his consistently indicates higher signal strength. My signal quality seems OK, but I have frequent dropped calls. I'm with Sprint.

Questions:
    1. Any connection between signal strength & dropped calls?
    2. Is it possible that the "bars" are providing a false reading?
    3. Any ideas for increasing signal strength?

Thanks!
    I have the same problem where I drop calls and never really have a spectacular signal. This seems to help me, and it's what my friend, who manages a sprint corp store, says to do.

Go into your phone app, then click on preferences. Once it is open try updating both the PRL and the network settings. (prl is the preferred roaming lost)

This should immediately increase your signal a little bit. I do it every now and then, and it usually helps.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I had Verizon for years...their network left me experiencing no short comings. But their phones and pricing sucked the life out of me. Hence a proud Pre owner (awesome phone) but... I have noticed with the Pre on Sprint I have no or minimal signal in more places than ever before. Also, I will have full bars sometimes until I connect voice/ or data then it drops down to nothing..really weird. I live in SoCal/La County area, which is why I find this a little strange. My lovely Pre/Smart Phone is dead in the water with no signal.

six of one/half a dozen of the other...what's a tech junkie to do?
  4. Oz
    I've had exactly the same experience, being on Verizon, loving the service, but no fun phones... Love the pre, not happy with Sprint service.

I have the same issue with the bars jumping around, from almost full bars, to nothing. I'm in the northwest, so its not a locality thing.

Sprint says they don't have any say on how the service is inside your home. They sell the Airrave, which is a little cell tower for you to use in your home. its $99 and $5 a month extra. The extra service charge irks me, but if I can overcome the in home service issue I'd be happy, especially since I'm saving a good deal of money per month on my service...

JAG 000 said: 2. Is it possible that the "bars" are providing a false reading?

Cell providers will tell you that bars are just bars, and not a true comparable indicator of actual signal. In other words, they won't be held accountable for it. personally, I always think of bars as being not just signal, but network traffic.
    Last edited by Oz; 08/26/2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Additional information
    Signal strength was (and apparently still is) an issue with with the Pre. Some users who had spectacular signal with their old Sprint phones now have crappy signal with their Pre.

This is in no way indicative of Sprint service, just a flaw in the radio on the Pre.

For me, the Pre has excellent reception. In fact, it gets signal where my Treo Pro was very spotty.

Only issue I have is at my desk. If I leave it by my right hand, no signal. Move it two feet to the left and TADA... signal back.
  6.    #6  
    Tried it and went from 1 to 3 bars. Going in the right direction. Thanks!
    Glad to hear it helped.
    My Pre siting in the same spot on my desk will go from full strength EVDO to 1 bar to 1x to 3 bars Roaming without moving it. Anybody else having these issues. I took mine to the sprint store after i updated latest firmware and they said they needed to do an update. After that now I roam at my house where i didnt before. WTF?!!

Christian
    I feel very lucky where I am at, I bought on day one, and have had maybe a total of 3 dropped calls in my home work area (so Cali, SoOC). Even when I show 1 bar, my phone completes calls. Unlike my Iphone that could have 3 bars and unable to complete calls and dropped calls all the time.

I got an AirRave (free with no monthly) because I live in a valley, near beach and my house had signal, but my man-cave (under the garage) did not. I have EVDO showing almost all the time.

I am very happy with the coverage here but I totally understand other peoples concerns with bars as when I was visting No.Texas and Oklahoma my battery went fast with low to no coverage.
    I am experiencing all the same. Treo was great, Pre is spotty on signal. Great phone, or has great promise. Please Palm, fix this and make this phone what it can be. I'm not giving up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cknudstrup View Post
    My Pre siting in the same spot on my desk will go from full strength EVDO to 1 bar to 1x to 3 bars Roaming without moving it. Anybody else having these issues. I took mine to the sprint store after i updated latest firmware and they said they needed to do an update. After that now I roam at my house where i didnt before. WTF?!!

Christian
    I'm with you there, but not by choice. I can sit the phone on my desk and watch the signal change 8 times before the screen locks and goes to sleep. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen. None of the other phones I've had with Sprint has done this.

What's even crazier is every single time I call my son's cellphone (also on Sprint), it gets dropped. Anyone else and it will *sometimes* drop, but with my son it's every time.

Very frustrating.
    I'm wondering if the signal flip-flopping, including going from Ev to 1x, has any correlation with the battery drain. Either way, keeping the faith Palm is working with Sprint on this.
    Could it really be that easy as just a software update? Or is it just a poor radio in the cell? Well mine goes to one bar I can drive to the sprint tower which is about a mile from my house and it stays at one bar. I have to reboot or turn on and off airplane mode. I have had times where I was driving right by the tower and I still could only get 4 out of 5 bars. I hope they fix this because I really do like the device.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfishbein View Post
    I have the same problem where I drop calls and never really have a spectacular signal. This seems to help me, and it's what my friend, who manages a sprint corp store, says to do.

Go into your phone app, then click on preferences. Once it is open try updating both the PRL and the network settings. (prl is the preferred roaming lost)

This should immediately increase your signal a little bit. I do it every now and then, and it usually helps.
    Please teach me how to change the setting? I have very poor signal on pixi and especially after updated to 1.3.1. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    it should be the same procedure -

open phone app, tap preferences, then scroll down and update both network settings and the PRL. if you're having trouble indoors, do it outside where your signal will be better.
    it is the largest octopus ever recorded.
    With the great program called Battery Monitor I have finally figure out what was causing my extreme battery drain. I came to the conclusion that when I'm in my basement my EV jumps to 1x every couple of mins but I have an airave and have full signal strength. I was draining 10% per hour If I go upstairs to my bedroom where I full EV service it only drains 2% per hour.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I have my original pre that I purchased June 17 and I live in SoCal and travel alot into NoCal and also to NV and AZ and have no problem with reception. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between my old carrier Verizon and Sprint. Might be something wrong with your cell phone. I live in the hills and believe or not, my signal is better with less dropped calls.
    JAG! Do what I did! Call up Sprint and tell them your having coverage issues at home! They offered me the Airave for free and no monthly fee. Make sure you tell them you have alot of drop calls outside as well. My house is in a "down zone". The sprint reps should be able to look at your location for ya!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!