1.    #1  
    The battery in my aging Treo 600 is finally dieing. I bought a nearly unused Treo 755p (actually two of them!) to replace the 600. I have been unable to use the *228 system to switch over to the 755p.

It appears that I can successfully use *228 option 3 to move my service to a different phone (ie ESN). However, *228 option 1 is unable to program the 755p. The system tells me to call 800-922-0204.

In order to have a working phone, I decided to switch back to the Treo 600. Once again *228 option 3 moved the service over. However, *228 option 1 now isn't working on the Treo 600 either!

There is a possibility that my home location is in an Extended Network area. Therefore I tried "option 1" on the Treo 600 away from home in an area that would have native Verizon coverage. It didn't work.

I previously "disabled" data mode via the Network and Connection Preferences as described in messages here. (I have no need for data mode and I'm on a cents per kilobyte plan.) Thinking that this might be a problem, I re-enabled data mode (I think!) and tried "option 1" again. No go.

For a while I thought I had no working phone. However, I've discovered that my Treo 600 is working - its previously programmed settings are still valid.

About two weeks ago the Treo 600 experienced a hard reset when the battery totally discharged. Upon being hooked to a charger, it went on the air, and was successful at doing what it needed to restore service. After I make an important phone call, I'll try that again with the 600 - and try the *228 system before I make any Preferences changes.

Before I risk calling Verizon, is there something else I should try?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I think you may get more help from the Treo forum. You've got mainly Pre users on this one.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    what's the "risk" to calling verizon.

they probably would have had you up and running in the time it took you to post this.

swapping from one treo to another should have no effect.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    I think you may get more help from the Treo forum. You've got mainly Pre users on this one.

I was under the impression that this area -"service providers" -was shared between treo and pre forums.

many of the threads are from before precentral existed and things I subbed to at treocentral pop up over here.

anyone know?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    Huh? I posted this via discussion.treocentral.com.

Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    what's the "risk" to calling verizon.
    I'm afraid they might require me to get a monthly data plan, or a new two year contract, or something like that.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    dont tell them it's a new phone. Just say you had to hard reset the phone and now you are trying to program it *228 and it wont work.

leave it at that.
  7.    #7  
    I got it to work!

The switching process:

On the old Verizon CDMA Treo 600, launch the phone application. Key in:
    (#) (*) (#) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (5-way center button)
    Note the MDN, MDIS, SID, and NID. Turn off the radio, ie "Beep-boop Verizon Goodbye". On the New Verizon CDMA Treo755p, launch the phone application. Key in:
    (#) (*) (#) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (#)
    Tap:
    (Edit)
    Enter the the MDN, MDIS, SID, and NID numbers from the old phone. Tap:
    (Save)
    From the phone application, now call:
    (*) (2) (2) (8) (Dial) wait for it... (3)
    Wait a looong time, ... and all done!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    good for you.

thanks for sharing.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    you can try *22899, this will skip all voice prompts and just activate and program your phone.