Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,
    This is my first post on these forums. I'm currently thinking switching to the Palm Pre. I currently have the iPhone 3Gs with AT&T. I'm sick of waiting for 3G in my area and the entire no MMS debacle is ridiculous. Sprint has good coverage in my area and has 3G. I was wondering if I could list what I'm looking for my phone to do and if you guys could give me some advice about switching.
    I use my iPhone for mainly social networking(facebook/twitter) and keeping up to date on sports scores. I love to bet on football and with NFL/College coming up in a couple of weeks I have to be up to date. The iPhone has the ESPN scorecenter app and works ok. Again, being on edge sucks when checking. The NFL app looks great on the Pre(from what I've seen). Those are my two major selling points. I don't care about video that much and I do use my phone as an "iPod" some but the Pre can clearly meet that criteria. Anyway, just wondering if I could get some advice.

Thanks,
    Chad
    I would look at any Apps you are using often and see if they have a mate on the Pre. Really that is the only thing you might miss. Paying less money for a better network will actually be a relief.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad H View Post
    Hello,
    This is my first post on these forums. I'm currently thinking switching to the Palm Pre. I currently have the iPhone 3Gs with AT&T. I'm sick of waiting for 3G in my area and the entire no MMS debacle is ridiculous. Sprint has good coverage in my area and has 3G. I was wondering if I could list what I'm looking for my phone to do and if you guys could give me some advice about switching.
    I use my iPhone for mainly social networking(facebook/twitter) and keeping up to date on sports scores. I love to bet on football and with NFL/College coming up in a couple of weeks I have to be up to date. The iPhone has the ESPN scorecenter app and works ok. Again, being on edge sucks when checking. The NFL app looks great on the Pre(from what I've seen). Those are my two major selling points. I don't care about video that much and I do use my phone as an "iPod" some but the Pre can clearly meet that criteria. Anyway, just wondering if I could get some advice.

Thanks,
    Chad
    If that is what you do with your iPhone you will not be disappointed with the Pre or Spint. I have both AT&T and Sprint. Sprint service has improved recently I must admit. Good Luck!
  4.    #4  
    Well, I didn't know if their were any "sports" apps out there for the pre yet. I know I can use ESPN mobile and the NFL live app. But a decidated sports scores app would be great! Yes, I agree with the network.
    The main incentive is financial. For individual plans the cost ∆ is about $30 per month. On Family plans the cost ∆ could be as much as $70 per month.

That means that the cost savings over the lenght of the contract is between $700 & $1700.

Create a comparison in a spreadsheet like MS Excel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    An odd thing to do would be switch to the pre.

Tether your pre as a wifi hotspot.

And use the iphone with that wifi to use the apps you need still while waiting for more apps on the pre.

Lol
    Do it. I switched from a WM phone to a 3G to a pre. The pre beats them all by far. The only thing the iphone has on this is the apps, but as you can see, we are making heavy progress!

(Be Warned: This is not the best place for a non-biased opinion, hence PREcentral.net)

lol
    there is no dedicated facebook app, so iphone has the advantage there. there's also not a college football app.
    Chad,
    I just received my palm pre on Mon. I am disappointed with it, I admit. My husband has an iphone, and I thought long and hard about which way to go. I have had palm products since the very first palm, my last being the treo 755p which I misplaced, so I had to replace it. With three kids, my whole life is on there. My biggest disappointment with it is the apps, but not the lack of. My disappointment is that all the apps are in beta, so they are not finals products. Probably not much of a big deal, but how long will it take? no one seems to have the answer. The home brew center is great, but not being terribly computer literate, I don't expect to have to jump through hoops in order to increase my volume on the pre (mine came preset at 89 decibels as the absolute highest), or to download any other apps. I want to press a button, and have it appear. And I really would have thought they would have approached it that way.

I am totally confused as to why the ringers are an issue (they include eight someodd ringers and that is it and you can't get other ones, unless of course you are willing to spend the time to download other software so you can create your own, again, the phone is a top dollar phone, I shouldn't have to do that). Mine has other issues as well, and they are giving me another phone as a replacement. But I am on three g as it stands, and the iphone is still faster. Whether the new one will solve these problems or not remains to be seen.
    The apps they have, if you use calendar, are not thought out well. There are very few options for making an appointment (as far as I can tell, no color fonts, and presets for alarms go from minutes to one hour, or one day. If you need a reminder for four hours prior, forget it). To be fair, I havent had a chance to thoroughly investigatethe calendar, since I've had so many other problems with it, so maybe it does those things, and I dont' know how.

Anyway, I have not been wowed by the speed even in 3g mode, so there you are. The apps are key, and I'd definitely like more info on that.

Good luck whatever you do.

Arnel
    I was wondering the same thing I totally miss that everything plan and Sprint's coverage is way better here in El Paso than AT&T.
    I'd say get a pre and try it out for 30 days and go from there. Thats the only real answers to your questions. You can't base your choice off of everyone elses. Some will tell you to switch some will tell you to stay but, you will never really get a great answer until you try it for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2hott23 View Post
    I'd say get a pre and try it out for 30 days and go from there. Thats the only real answers to your questions. You can't base your choice off of everyone elses. Some will tell you to switch some will tell you to stay but, you will never really get a great answer until you try it for yourself.
    I was thinking of doing that but the I was using the Pre at the Sprint Store and it seemed a little sluggish, where my 3GS is super snappy. Plus I would want to port my number, I'm unsure if I could go back to AT&T with that same number; does anyone know if its possible to port your number twice that fast? I am truly impressed with the phone for what it does but can it replace my 3GS is what I'm wondering. I can't stand the fact that Apple constricts there App Store as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I was thinking of doing that but the I was using the Pre at the Sprint Store and it seemed a little sluggish, where my 3GS is super snappy. Plus I would want to port my number, I'm unsure if I could go back to AT&T with that same number; does anyone know if its possible to port your number twice that fast? I am truly impressed with the phone for what it does but can it replace my 3GS is what I'm wondering. I can't stand the fact that Apple constricts there App Store as well.
    Or just get Google Voice and don't worry about porting. Wait, that won't work if you stay with the iPhone, nevermind.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by j2hott23 View Post
    +100000000000000

Really, this is the only way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Or just get Google Voice and don't worry about porting. Wait, that won't work if you stay with the iPhone, nevermind.
    LOL, exactly another reason I want to leave AT&T and the dictatorship that is Apple. I love their computer products but I'm coming to hate how they lock the iPhone down. If it wasn't for cydia I would have been gone already!
    does anyone know if its possible to port your number twice that fast?
    You can though it may not be the recommended thing to do. When my boss was hired he tried to switch from AT&T to Sprint. He had a bad experience with the phone he chose and 2 days later switched back to AT&T. I don't recall that he had any issues. If you want this kind of failback I'd recommend timing the switch that you have several weeks of overlap so that your AT&T account isn't terminated until you're sure you don't want to go back.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    The more I use my Pre the more I understand the niche that it fills...and I am relieved to know that I fit into that niche very well. iPhones are better if you are into media management. I would say the "apps" are another advantage but that will diminish in time. BlackBerrys are better if you need enterprise/business integration. The Pre is a very nice "happy medium". I can't honestly say that the Pre is better than the other products, but it is definitely better for ME and the way I use it. The notification system and multi-tasking/card swapping metaphor is second to none IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    You can though it may not be the recommended thing to do. When my boss was hired he tried to switch from AT&T to Sprint. He had a bad experience with the phone he chose and 2 days later switched back to AT&T. I don't recall that he had any issues. If you want this kind of failback I'd recommend timing the switch that you have several weeks of overlap so that your AT&T account isn't terminated until you're sure you don't want to go back.
    Thanks that is exactly what I wanted to know?
    Ok now thats mistake number 2. You can't base your choice off of the sprint store display model either. Its been through a lot of crap,violated on a daily and is in demo mode. What im say is, go to a sprint store or best buy, get a new number and a new phone while keeping your iphone on with att. Try it out and see if you like it or not. If not just take it back before the 30 days and your fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    An odd thing to do would be switch to the pre.

Tether your pre as a wifi hotspot.

And use the iphone with that wifi to use the apps you need still while waiting for more apps on the pre.

Lol
    I am struggling with same question but I have Pre debating going to Iphone. I was thinking of doing this with the ipod touch... Anyone know if there are a lot of things the iphone can do that the itouch can't or if there are any apps specific to the iphone?

I like my pre and the smaller form factor is great. Physical keyboard is imo better then the virtual even though it is not the greatest keyboard to type on. I love the card view on the Pre. My biggest annoyance was the otherday in a store I couldn't connect to the net...then yest at home in my room I was roaming. Also my touchstone is not working well with my Pre... The Pre likes to beep a lot so it takes that pretty awesome feature away.

I would say in your case its worth the switch if you know Sprint has better service in your area. I am not too sure how att compares to the Sprint coverage here but its a rly cool phone, best I have used and I have this internal power struggle goin on thinking if its worth the extra for an iphone which I semi consider inferior device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast