Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I've heard rumors that the unlimited data plan with Sprint is actually limited, its just a really high limit. I've heard that Verizon does such things, and has a 5gb cap on data transfers.

    Has anybody else heard these rumors? Or does someone else have the patience and the metal capacity to read through the fine print to find this out for sure?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchroni1 View Post
    I've heard rumors that the unlimited data plan with Sprint is actually limited, its just a really high limit. I've heard that Verizon does such things, and has a 5gb cap on data transfers.

    Has anybody else heard these rumors? Or does someone else have the patience and the metal capacity to read through the fine print to find this out for sure?
    ... I for one definitely don't have the metal capacity for that...
  3. #3  
    lol typos are fun.
    Far as I know everywhere they advertise "unlimited" also shows 5gb limit. But then I also saw someone say the Everything Data phone plan is not limited. So...just download a ton and see what happens :P
  4. #4  
    Well to be honest i believe most cell phone carriers do have a limit but with stuff like streaming media its kinda dumb. i generally use about 3gb just listening to pandora and useing youtube. If you use a tethering app and are always over all the time they will most likely flag your account. but if all you do is listen to music and check e-mail and such everything should be crispy.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kc0eks View Post
    lol typos are fun.
    Far as I know everywhere they advertise "unlimited" also shows 5gb limit. But then I also saw someone say the Everything Data phone plan is not limited. So...just download a ton and see what happens :P
    I would advise not doing that as you may get your service dropped. However if you do and that does happen be sure to let the rest of us know how much you used. :P
  6. #6  
    I was over at the Sprint Users Forums and from what I read there is no limit for Data Downloads. From what I have read is that there is a 5GB on Aircards.
  7. #7  
    Aircards and PAM plans have a 5GB limit. Th regular data packages for phones however do not have a limit. For the extreme vast majority of users it is a non-issue. I believe there is a fair-use clause however in the contract, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  8. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #8  
    I can confirm, at least as far as having received confirmation from Sprint (and that doesn't always mean so much), and from having actually read the fine print:

    There is a limit for PAM (which doesn't apply to the Pre) and air cards. Basically, anything attached to a computer.

    For phones, no limit exists. In large part, this is because most uses of a phone, even a data heavy one like the Pre, don't bring you to those limits. Could you go over, if you stream audio 24x7? Sure.

    Sprint reserves the right, however, to cancel anyone... as long as they give you notice and don't make you pay an ETF. There have been some well known cases of Sprint "firing" customers. Therefore, if you're constantly doing 15GB/month on your Pre, they COULD cancel you if they wanted. And they'd use some excuse like how you were abusing the network, using it in ways it was not intended, yadda yadda.

    As well, if they suspect that you're using a tethering tool, which is not allowed with the Pre, they could definitely cancel you for that. A red flag for them is when high data usage.
  9. #9  
    I do recall that some business accounts are exempt from the 5gb cap. It's only on personal consumer accounts that the cap exists.

    I use a Sprint USB EVDO modem from my employer and routinely exceed 5GB as do many others in my company. Nothing has been said to us.
  10. #10  
    Also any data card plan prior to the 5GB cap being instituted is exempt from the cap, unless you already had a cap for some reason. I have customers coming in to upgrade their data cards and they still have the plan codes on there for unlimited usage, I haven't had to touch the plan for a new device so they can keep it, the exception to this rule is if you are looking at getting a 4G capable card/router.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  11. #11  
    I have SERO and when I commute away from home, I rack up over 100GB a month of data tethering with my TP1. As long as you have unlimited data on your phone plan and tethers with your phone, you are fine.
  12. #12  
    THIS IS INCORRECT!
    there is a 5 gig limit on the data no matter if is PAM, Aircard, or Data use on a phone! you can go over and the cost is 3 cents a kb on the phone and 5 cents a kb with the aircards! going over they will charge you however they cap the data charges at 75 dollars a line.
    Your Favorite Pre totin Sprint Rep
  13. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    THIS IS INCORRECT!
    there is a 5 gig limit on the data no matter if is PAM, Aircard, or Data use on a phone! you can go over and the cost is 3 cents a kb on the phone and 5 cents a kb with the aircards! going over they will charge you however they cap the data charges at 75 dollars a line.
    Do you have a pointer to this policy? Because here's what Sprint has to say about this:

    "Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB." (Terms & Conditions)

    Notice that it applies on to mobile broadband cards, USB models, embedded models, and PAM. And, it does NOT include a price beyond 5GB -- only that they reserve the right to cancel.

    This does NOT apply to phones (like the Pre) on unlimited data plans. If you can get over 5GB, you can.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    THIS IS INCORRECT!
    there is a 5 gig limit on the data no matter if is PAM, Aircard, or Data use on a phone! you can go over and the cost is 3 cents a kb on the phone and 5 cents a kb with the aircards! going over they will charge you however they cap the data charges at 75 dollars a line.
    Don't yell. I was trying to take a nap.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntingace View Post
    THIS IS INCORRECT!
    there is a 5 gig limit on the data no matter if is PAM, Aircard, or Data use on a phone! you can go over and the cost is 3 cents a kb on the phone and 5 cents a kb with the aircards! going over they will charge you however they cap the data charges at 75 dollars a line.
    You are wrong sir...

    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Do you have a pointer to this policy? Because here's what Sprint has to say about this:

    "Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB." (Terms & Conditions)

    Notice that it applies on to mobile broadband cards, USB models, embedded models, and PAM. And, it does NOT include a price beyond 5GB -- only that they reserve the right to cancel.

    This does NOT apply to phones (like the Pre) on unlimited data plans. If you can get over 5GB, you can.
    The contract doesn't specify any overage charges because those can be different depending on your data card plan. Older grandfathered data card plans that were unlimited previously still are. Any newer data card plans since the switch have the overage charges included in the price plan structure itself, not the overall contract. Same idea as older plans may charge you 45c/min overage but a new plan may only be 25c/min. This is why some people do have unlimited data cards and others have the 5GB limited ones.

    It is a moot point for the Pre anyhow though since the caps do not apply to phone data use, and the Pre cannot be legitimately used with a PAM plan either.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  16. #16  
    You Sprint guys would know more than me. I know I have seen articles about people cut off due to excessive roaming. About a year ago, there were a few articles about a group of military folks that were cut off due to excessive roaming. Is the article true? I don't know.

    A couple of people here have reported that they were cutoff due to excessive calls to customer service. Is it true? I don't know.

    I think over at howards forum a couple of people reported being cutoff for excessive data use. Is it true? I don't know.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  17. #17  
    I went online today and talked to a sprint rep and he infact told me that there was no data cap with the simply everything plan while using the pre, i saved the email, and took a screenshot as well for future evidence if they try and charge me extra
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    I went online today and talked to a sprint rep and he infact told me that there was no data cap with the simply everything plan while using the pre, i saved the email, and took a screenshot as well for future evidence if they try and charge me extra
    I think all carriers have excessive usages written into their contract. They write the contract, so they are going to write it in their favor, to give themselves a way out if they want. If you google "sprint cancel excessive" you'll find people that claim they were canceled for excessive this or that. How many are true, I don't know.

    I think if you just use your phone like every normal phone user does it will never be an issue.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  19. #19  
    I used to stream Kinoma ALL the time when I had my 700p and probably used close to, if not over, the 5GB limit. I tried looking online for a copy of the usage statement before I got the Pre (since I use wifi now regularly), but the bills dont show usage summary.
  20. #20  
    It is possible to get the 5 gig cap removed on a personal account. A very good reason is if you are a traveling salesman or in my case, a roaming IT support guy. I had to buy my own aircard but my customers bills easily paid for my data plan. All you have to do is show proof that your data usage is legit and most times, they will take off the cap. Doing remote desktop on site but not being able to connect to a customer's network is one such reason.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions