Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone had any luck buying the Pre at retail and trying to activate without changing to an Everything plan?

Right now, I pay $50/month total for 2 lines w/ unlimited data, text, roaming, mobile-to-mobile, n&w a 7pm, & etc., with 1,000 minutes. Switching to an equivalent Everything plan could cost me $1,000/year, so would gladly just buy a Pre at retail & activate.

Has anyone tried this? Will Sprint refuse to activate a Pre? How do they do it?
    The system is hard coded to only accept a few plans if the Pre is on your account. The only plans that will work are the everything, employee, employee advantage line (family), and seasonal standby. Anything else and the system will straight up not let you activate a Pre on the account. So you can fight this battle all day with the store or the account reps over the phone, they may even want to do it for you, but its not possible.

Edit: From what I saw today you can also get the new version of the Sero plan if you know an employees ID info. The EPRP plan will let the phone activate.

delivery.sprint.com/m/p/sprint/epc/epclanding.asp

(sorry your going to have to add the http to the above yourself I can't link anything yet Damn starter accounts!)
    Last edited by Grays; 08/04/2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Added Info
    I even tried BBB and no luck.
    BBB as in better business bureau? wow.

Just want to also say that I'm in the same boat that switching to a pre-compatible plan will cost me big big bucks each year.

So I'm not able to get a pre unless this restriction is ever changed.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenI View Post
    Has anyone had any luck buying the Pre at retail and trying to activate without changing to an Everything plan?

Right now, I pay $50/month total for 2 lines w/ unlimited data, text, roaming, mobile-to-mobile, n&w a 7pm, & etc., with 1,000 minutes. Switching to an equivalent Everything plan could cost me $1,000/year, so would gladly just buy a Pre at retail & activate.

Has anyone tried this? Will Sprint refuse to activate a Pre? How do they do it?
    How the hell did you pull that off? I was paying $50/mo for 2 lines not including data or texts, no free mobile-to-mobile, 9pm nights and weekends, regional coverage only (if I went outside the Front Range of Colorado or went onto another carrier's network I had to pay roaming). And that was on a 6 year old plan even so yours must go back even farther than that. But for me by the time I added in data plans and unlimited texting, it was about the same for the Everything Data plan plus now I don't have to worry about roaming.

Honestly you are WAY underpaying so if you want to keep your grandfathered plan, then stay with your old phones. But if you want to upgrade to a nice shiny new toy like the Pre, you're going to have to pay for it like the rest of us have been for years. Don't look at it as having to pay $1000 more a year. Look at it like you already have saved thousands over what you should have been paying for the last 5+ years.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    As a brand new (as of one month ago) Sprint customer who did not have a SERO plan or other discounted plan (i.e. I'm not biased), this is a ridiculous policy. If I have a SERO plan that includes unlimited data, and purchase a device (whether it's a Pre or not) at RETAIL price ($549.99), I should be allowed to use it on any plan I wish. I should be allowed to use it without a data package - of course, with the understanding I'd be paying 2 cents a kilobyte or whatever. (Obviously, nobody would do that - but I'm just saying, it should be an option.)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I had luck...But that all changed a couple weeks ago. Long story short...I didn't switch but now they are trying to make me switch or forfeit the phone.

http: //discussion.treocentral.com/cdma-north-america/196060-i-used-love-sprint.html
  8.    #8  
    megamitch -- Wow, that's rough. I don't see how they can force you to forfeit the phone. Technically speaking, you've got a contract and possession of the phone, and likely the rights, in this situation. If you threaten legal action, that might correct it. I'd definitely check in with the crowd at Consumerist.com to see what their thoughts are.
  9.    #9  
    But also, my situation isn't like megamitch. It'd be one thing if i wanted to get the $349 off for a new contract with purchase. But I'm not asking for that. From my perspective, if I buy the phone at flat retail price at Sprint, Best Buy, whomever, I should be able to activate it however I want.

The whole point of their being able to demand XYZ plan with purchase is if the phone company is subsidizing the phone; in the situation for CmdrGuard and I, the phone purchase is entirely separate from the plan. If I bought any other unlocked CDMA phone and wanted to activate it to Sprint, I'd have no problem. They're discriminating against those who buy the Pre, and those who buy the Pre alone. That's not fair business practice, and it certainly sounds like it'd violate at least one of either anti-trust or FCC regulations.
  10.    #10  
    erod550 -- Plenty of people have great retention plans from the past. I'm far from alone. I'm not underpaying -- I'm paying what Sprint agreed to, in order to keep me as a customer. Now they want to disallow me from activating a phone I'm buying at full retail price. That doesn't sound like it conforms to anti-trust laws or FCC reg's.
    Steve, You may want to ask this in the "Ask A Sprint Rep" thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/cd...print-rep.html

I don't have Sprint, but from what I have read, it looks like going forward, Sprint will want people to upgrade their plans when they upgrade their phones. The Sprint Reps would have the latest word on SERO plans and such going forward.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Steve, You may want to ask this in the "Ask A Sprint Rep" thread:

But keep us posted over here as to what they say!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenI View Post
    megamitch -- Wow, that's rough. I don't see how they can force you to forfeit the phone. Technically speaking, you've got a contract and possession of the phone, and likely the rights, in this situation. If you threaten legal action, that might correct it. I'd definitely check in with the crowd at Consumerist.com to see what their thoughts are.
    I honestly don't know how they'd "take" it from me. I guess by "forfeit" I meant "hope to get a refund" for it...Although that hasn't been confirmed by anyone yet either. Its been a bite just being in limbo the last couple of weeks not knowing what's going to happen. Thanks for the link...I'll have to take a look at the Consumerists to see what they have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard View Post
    BBB as in better business bureau? wow.

Just want to also say that I'm in the same boat that switching to a pre-compatible plan will cost me big big bucks each year.

So I'm not able to get a pre unless this restriction is ever changed.
    Yes, Better Business Bureau.
    here is the response they gave BBB.

Dear Ms. Moore:

Thank you for forwarding the above-referenced inquiry to our office. We appreciate your assistance in bringing our customer's concerns to our attention.

In his inquiry, Mr. xxxx is stating that he disagrees with the plan requirements for the Palm Pre and Samsung Instinct phones offered through Sprint. He is requesting that he be able to maintain his current service plan with one of the above devices.

During our initial conversation with Mr. xxxx on July 2, 2009, we informed him that Sprint made due diligence in informing our customers of the plan change requirements prior to and during the release of the Palm Pre and Samsung Instinct devices. We also informed Mr. xxxx that per Sprints Terms & Conditions, we may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of Service. For further information regarding Sprints' Terms & Conditions, Mr. xxxx may visit Cell Phones, Mobile Phones, and Wireless Calling Plans from Sprint. We subsequently attempted to contact Mr. xxxx on July 8, and 9, 2009 for further discussion, unfortunately we have been unable to speak with him.

Although Mr. xxxx may disagree with our position, we are confident that his issue has been fully addressed and resolved to the best of our ability. Consequently, all further inquiries regarding this matter will be met with the same response.

We regret any inconvenience that this matter may have caused Mr. xxxx. If we can be of further assistance with this matter, we can be reached at the Executive & Regulatory Services Department toll-free at 1-866-727-0665 or (817) 698-2935, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Central Time.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post
    As a brand new (as of one month ago) Sprint customer who did not have a SERO plan or other discounted plan (i.e. I'm not biased), this is a ridiculous policy. If I have a SERO plan that includes unlimited data, and purchase a device (whether it's a Pre or not) at RETAIL price ($549.99), I should be allowed to use it on any plan I wish. I should be allowed to use it without a data package - of course, with the understanding I'd be paying 2 cents a kilobyte or whatever. (Obviously, nobody would do that - but I'm just saying, it should be an option.)
    its the same everywhere now....go try andbuy a old iphone 3g from your buddy and go to att to activate...hello $30/month data plan (terms and conditions spell out that if you are able to remove it att reserves the right to place it back and charge you) and drum roll please a 2yr agreement...yup with your own phone.... all the carriers are doing it to drum up revenue off of data plans
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post
    I should be allowed to use it on any plan I wish. I should be allowed to use it without a data package - of course, with the understanding I'd be paying 2 cents a kilobyte or whatever. (Obviously, nobody would do that - but I'm just saying, it should be an option.)
    The phone is pretty much designed to use data. Even just little things like the automatic backup uses data. Then they would be dealing with a ton of customers who end up running up a bill and then complaining when they receive it.
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a great plan currently and unlimited data for $10. I don't want to give my plan up and as a result, I'm having to stick with my 755p.

If they ever change their policy, I will get a Pre ASAP.

Rick
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The Samsung Instinct has been out going on a year now and they haven't lifted the plan restrictions regarding that phone, chances are good they won't lift them on the Pre either.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but frankly $50 a month for 2 phones with all the goodies and 1000 minutes is a money losing proposition from Sprint's perspective, and they have very little reason to want you on that plan any longer.

I had a customer come in the other day with a 10000 minute plan (Yes, ten thousand) for $55 a month. It's one of the old sweetheart Nextel plans, but he was told he'd lose the plan switching to a Sprint handset. Needless to say he wasn't pleased. After talking with him for a while he was wanting a more modern phone to do things like text, picture mail and use GPS navigation, none of which are included in his plan. In his case the simply everything plan would end up being nearly what his old plan was with the extras added on. I recommended he try retentions to keep his old plan, but also told him with the right phone and the simply everything plan he might end up not feeling so bad paying the extra.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  20.    #20  
    yoshk - But aren't there plenty of unlocked CDMA phones that could be purchased domestically or from overseas and activated to my current plan? What if I bought a used Pre (yes, assuming they existed -- speaking theoretically)?

If I bought a used Instinct on eBay and tried to activate it, would Sprint make me change plans?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast