I'm not on SERO but if I get the Pre from Sprint they'll bump up my family plan to $170 from $140. I'm wondering if I could purchase the Pre off Ebay or somewhere else and have them activate it.

On Ebay, the phones are running for 400ish. Is that legit, can I activate these phones at a sprint store.

Thanks in advance
    For them to activate the pre, you'll need to be on a Simply Everything or an Everything plan. Don't think you'll find much way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrhk View Post
    I'm not on SERO but if I get the Pre from Sprint they'll bump up my family plan to $170 from $140. I'm wondering if I could purchase the Pre off Ebay or somewhere else and have them activate it.

On Ebay, the phones are running for 400ish. Is that legit, can I activate these phones at a sprint store.

Thanks in advance
    nope yuo're sol about the old plan
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    ......Don't think you'll find much way around it.
    what he said^^^^...once you activate a Pre, your plan will automatically change to an Everything plan
    Hmm, well the next best option is the "Everything Plus Referral Program" which will end up only being a couple dollars more. However, I think I'll need an entirely new contract for that. Plus, I don't know anyone in Sprint, only some CID numbers I found online. I dunno if that'll work or not.

Edit:
    I'm referring to the Russ.S.McGuire account. Can anyone confirm if that'll still work
    Last edited by nrhk; 08/01/2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Hmm, well the next best option is the "Everything Plus Referral Program" which will end up only being a couple dollars more. However, I think I'll need an entirely new contract for that. Plus, I don't know anyone in Sprint, only some CID numbers I found online. I dunno if that'll work or not.

Edit:
    I'm referring to the Russ.S.McGuire account. Can anyone confirm if that'll still work
    Still works.
    A couple of things:

1) As long as you stay below a maximum of 5 phones total,
    you can have more than one plan on an account.
    I currently have a shared plan for my family
    and the $70 Everything Data 450 plan.

2) I just started looking into what my options would
    be if I can cancel my contract and then start an
    "EPRP 1500" (Everything Plus Referral Plan with
    1500 shared minutes). I think I would need to buy
    new phones, but if I did that, I might be safe in dropping
    the insurance on the existing phones.

EDIT: I learned that I could do this (if I put the new
    phones under a separate account under my wife's name)
    but my monthly bill would still be $23 more (not to mention
    new activation fees) so I just took the $20/month deal
    on my Pre's line (with a 2 year contract extension).

EDIT: (Replaced remaining paragraphs with this summary
    The first CSR told me I couldn't do this, and he got nervous and put me through to his manager. His manager was very understandable and ran the numbers for me both ways so that I could make an informed decision. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE on Sprint's part here!
    Last edited by sudoer; 01/13/2010 at 03:54 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    You can switch from the SERO to the Everything Plus plan without a new contract if you're not wanting to buy a phone. If you're buying a phone or phones, then you will need to extend your contract to get the price break. One nice thing about the Everything Plus Data plan is that you become a Sprint Premier member, and and upgrade phones once a year, not every two years.

Edit:
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    A couple of things:
    one more thing....this question was 5 months old
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    one more thing....this question was 5 months old
    I didn't try to modify my plan back then. What made me think of it now was that I thought I might be able to "start over" with a new, single plan for my family's 5 phones (rather than having a pretty tweaked, but older grandfathered plan for the other 4 and a separate plan for my Pre). It's funny how old threads sometimes have a way or resurrecting themselves!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!