Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    So the last two months...I've been using a Pre without being on an Everything Plan. Sadly...The best two months of my life are coming to a close.

It all started innocently on the morning of June the sixth. Went to Best Buy in hopes of getting a Pre for $200...Unfortunately I was the sixth person to arrive in hopes of snagging one of their five phones. Put my name on the list and went to the franchised Sprint store.

Expecting there to be none left...Casually asked if there were any Pres in. They sure did. Fantastic. Asked me if I was on the waiting list...D'oh! As I was walking out the door...The manager said he had been trying to contact one of the guys on the list the last couple of days but never heard from him. Said he'd call one more time and if he didn't answer he'd sell it to me. Waited and waited...Sure enough the poor sap didn't answer. The Pre was mine.

While going through the activation process...The salesman looked at the phones that were on the plan and told me which ones could be upgraded. I forfeited the Centro line and got that upgraded. The line was a simple add-a-phone with unlimited data on there and 1500 texts and a shared pool of 500 minutes with a few other random incentives.

This was not an Everything Plan by any means...Nor were there any Everything Plans that were in the account. Somewhat baffled by the fact that this salesman didn't mention anything about it and said that the phone was good to go and that a couple of the other lines also were also eligible for the $200 price tag. Just needed the one...And then sure enough...I was using the Pre without an Everything Plan.

Times were great. A month later...My dad realized that he needed to abandon his Touch Pro and upgrade to the Pre as well. Looking to take advantage of the Best Buy instant rebate...He went there and looked to get the Pre added to another of the lines that the first Sprint salesman said could be upgraded. They were wise enough to see that the phones would need the new plan. With that...He proceeded to try the original Sprint store that I had gotten my Pre from. They were now aware that the phone couldn't be used on anything but the Everything Plan.

At one point in time...Sprint had said that they would be able to keep me on the grandfathered plan...I just wouldn't have been able to use the Navigation since I never had that on the plan previously. The latest however is that it simply cannot happen. I came oh so very close to being able to keep the old plan. But after all the hassle...It seems as though I will have to foreit the phone to keep the old plan. They're looking into some possible extras to work the price down to keep it reasonable compared to the old plan...But no guarantees can be made.

The real pickle I find myself in now is...How do I return this phone and get a refund of my money when its been nearly two months now? I don't know how this will all turn out...

Sorry about the novel...Just thought I'd share my said tale with the Interwebs.
    That's really unfortunate, sounds like the Best Buy salesman didn't know jack about what he was selling.

The simple fact of the matter is the Pre has always been advertised as requiring a Simply Everything plan, no way around it. It's nice that Sprint has let you use the phone so far, but they really do need for you to switch. If Sprint can figure out a way to get a Everything Family plan to a similar price go with it, if not demand Best Buy do something about it, explain to them the situation (politely, no matter how pissed you are) and see what options they can give.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Sorry about the confusion...But that's the funny thing is that I got the Pre at a Sprint store. Of all people...All their training...All that secrecy...And something like this happens on their launch day. I don't know how something so "important" could have been overlooked. Its a shame yeah...But dealing with Sprint is one of those arts that really trains someone well in practicing patience.

I was so proud of the fact that I was so close to being one of the...I imagine very very few...To not be on the Everything Plan.

Has anyone else out there heard of anyone avoiding the Everything Plan?
    Had to give up my Pre for basically the same reason. It was not worth $50 more a month to replace the Centro line on my family plan with a Pre.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Seeing as how you by your own words knew full well this was an error I don't really see how it is an issue with Sprint. If you were not willing to upgrade to an everything plan as was clearly understood then why did you buy the phone? We all want to get more then we pay for but it's really not Sprints fault that you made this choice. Hopefully they will help you out, but they really are not in the wrong. (other then making an all to human mistake)

That being said it sure would be nice if you could just have ANY unlimited data plan and qualify. If the carriers ever get to the point of doing that many people will be happy with the extra choice they are given.

Quote Originally Posted by megamitch View Post
    While going through the activation process...The salesman looked at the phones that were on the plan and told me which ones could be upgraded. I forfeited the Centro line and got that upgraded. The line was a simple add-a-phone with unlimited data on there and 1500 texts and a shared pool of 500 minutes with a few other random incentives.

This was not an Everything Plan by any means...Nor were there any Everything Plans that were in the account. Somewhat baffled by the fact that this salesman didn't mention anything about it and said that the phone was good to go and that a couple of the other lines also were also eligible for the $200 price tag. Just needed the one...And then sure enough...I was using the Pre without an Everything Plan......
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    My title may be a little misleading. I don't love them like I used to...But I certainly don't particularly hate them by any means. Its not so much me that I'm worried about...I just worry for their sake that the "uninformed" may not be so "easy" on them. When the signing of the contract took place...They made no mention of it at all. They looked at my plan and said that I could upgrade to it. Only two months later did they realize their mistake. How many unfortunate costumers may not have had patience to deal with it.

Hopefully for their sake I am in the vast minority. But either way...Still kind of a shame that they only informed me of their mistake this late into the game. What if I had invested another couple hundred dollars in accessories? Then I'd be twice as boned :-(
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The salesperson at the store should have known better and his computer system should have thrown a error when he tried to leave you on the old plan. Neither of these safeguards seems to have helped you.

Perhaps you should look into trying to get one of the account level discounts (for your employer, bank, public organizations, etc.) which can reduce the price of the $129.99 family plan down to something closer to $100. $50 a month for each of your Pres with all the goodies and more minutes isn't a bad deal after all.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    The salesperson at the store should have known better and his computer system should have thrown a error when he tried to leave you on the old plan. Neither of these safeguards seems to have helped you.

Perhaps you should look into trying to get one of the account level discounts (for your employer, bank, public organizations, etc.) which can reduce the price of the $129.99 family plan down to something closer to $100. $50 a month for each of your Pres with all the goodies and more minutes isn't a bad deal after all.
    If you work for, or are affiliated with a Sprint partner, there is a sizable discount in your future. Just bear in mind, the Simply Everything, Basic 200, and certain Connection Card plans are not eligible for ANY discounts.
    The result shouldn't have come as any shock. It's like when I tell my son not to hit his brother. He hits him and I get mad, and he has the nerve to ask why. Keep your Pre and help Sprint out. I am sure there are maybe even discounts to help you out.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost_cause View Post
    If you work for, or are affiliated with a Sprint partner, there is a sizable discount in your future. Just bear in mind, the Simply Everything, Basic 200, and certain Connection Card plans are not eligible for ANY discounts.
    Sorry, but that's not correct. I applied my corporate discount to my SEP back in January and it stayed on when I moved to the Pre in June.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    Sorry, but that's not correct. I applied my corporate discount to my SEP back in January and it stayed on when I moved to the Pre in June.
    Corporate discounts are tied to the account not the plan. So if you have a discount and you switch to a plan that does not allow discounting, it does not magically go away, it just doesn't get applied to that line.

So for example, let's say you have a 20% discount. You have an 450 Everything Data plan for $69.99, and a $59.99 data card. So your bill would be $129.98 - 20% = 115.98 because the data card plan doesn't allow discounting. You then decide to switch to the Simply Everything plan for a few months, then go back. Your discounting would seem to disappear because both the data card and Simply Everything plans don't allow discounts to be applied. Once youswitch back to a plan that does however, it will be there again.

If you are currently on a Simply Everything plan and getting a discount, be happy, you aren't supposed to and I've never seen it happen.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)