Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    With the introduction of the Pre, I would have thought they would have gained. Of course, I thought the Pre came out in Q3.
    Sprint reports Q2 results, sheds almost 1 million postpaid subs : Boy Genius Report
    The Pre has only been out 2 months, and they are only recently really pushing advertisements that hammer in their strengths. These things take time, its not going to be instantaneous.
    This sentence is going to sounds stupid, but, 1,000,000 is less than the 2 and 3 million they lost the previous Q2.
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    With the introduction of the Pre, I would have thought they would have gained. Of course, I thought the Pre came out in Q3.
    Sprint reports Q2 results, sheds almost 1 million postpaid subs : Boy Genius Report
    Seems like the majority of their customer losses were iDen customers....

"For the quarter, total wireless customers declined by approximately 257,000, including net losses of 991,000 post-paid customers comprising 393,000 CDMA and 598,000 iDEN customers (including a net 69,000 customers who transferred from the iDEN network to the CDMA network). The company gained a net 938,000 prepaid iDEN customers, offset by net losses of 161,000 prepaid CDMA customers. The company also experienced a net loss of 43,000 wholesale and affiliate subscribers. "

Although losing (net) 393K CDMA contracts may be a cause for a concern.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Sprint only losing that much is good. They used to lose 3-4-5 Million a quarter.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Sprint sucks pretty badly as a management team. iDen is only one problem. Sprint's coverage is such that they can't charge a premium and have to heavily discount. All those SERO users can't get the new handsets and are probably aging out of the system as they go to metropcs and leap, etc...
    I don't know why anyone expected this to be different. Sprint (net) lost over 500,000 postpaid CDMA customers last quarter, and that's with the announcement of the Pre. Let's assume that Q2 was the same. They would've already lost 300K or so by the time the Pre launched in Q2. Let's say the Pre moved 400K in the month of June.

That's fine, but the majority of them were existing Sprint subscribers. Even if 30 percent of the Pre sales were to new customers (and that's being generous), that's just 120,000 off the tally.

Basically, Pre did what it needed to do. Now, Sprint has to build an enduring lineup of similar all-star handsets. They gotta get the Touch Pro 2 happening by September along with an Android handset by October at the absolute latest. Oh, and WiMax.

They also MUST revamp their launch procedures. Both the Pre and Tour launches were very bumpy with misinformation and supply issues abounding. They probably will want to kill off the mail-in rebate sooner rather than later, too.
    well, they have to stop the bleeding before they can start building. at least they're on the right track. especially since they'll be getting their first android device and the TP2 later on this year.
    I havent used the IDEN network since the Motorola i700plus was popular (my first phone hence the name) however the coverage was, poor at best before Nextel merged with Sprint. I cant imagine Sprint putting that much effort into maintaining the IDEN network...
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

It amazes me how illiterate most At&t or Vzn customers are...how badly they are being screwed. Sprint is not perfect and may not have the most coverage but they take care of their customers better than any carrier and have the best plans hands down! I love sprint and if I were forced to any other carrier I would probably return to a landline...well maybe not but I know the pre cheap hardware did kill alot of potential sales....here is looking forward to better sales for phones made with better build quality like HTC phones due out on Soon!?
    With the next major migration to 4G, Sprint has positioned themselves for possible gains Q1 of 2010. AT&T will be losing exclusivity with the iPhone and Palm will be improving their WebOS and having more devices to utilize it’s functionality. I see Sprint picking up some much needed market share for 2010.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't know why anyone expected this to be different. Sprint (net) lost over 500,000 postpaid CDMA customers last quarter, and that's with the announcement of the Pre. Let's assume that Q2 was the same. They would've already lost 300K or so by the time the Pre launched in Q2. Let's say the Pre moved 400K in the month of June.

That's fine, but the majority of them were existing Sprint subscribers. Even if 30 percent of the Pre sales were to new customers (and that's being generous), that's just 120,000 off the tally.

Basically, Pre did what it needed to do. Now, Sprint has to build an enduring lineup of similar all-star handsets. They gotta get the Touch Pro 2 happening by September along with an Android handset by October at the absolute latest. Oh, and WiMax.

They also MUST revamp their launch procedures. Both the Pre and Tour launches were very bumpy with misinformation and supply issues abounding. They probably will want to kill off the mail-in rebate sooner rather than later, too.
    Yup, agree,
    To put it bluntly , SPRINT failed the marketing of Pre completely.

It could have gained a million customers if the adds went against Blackberry and Iphone.

Something to the tune of showing a blackberry user not able to browse the internet compared with iPhone user.

And iPhone user failing the typing test with Blackberry.

Then showing that Pre can do both type email and browse like iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yup, agree,

It could have gained a million customers if the adds went against Blackberry and Iphone.

Something to the tune of showing a blackberry user not able to browse the internet compared with iPhone user.

Well...let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Even if Palm miraculously churned out another 400K handsets, and Sprint doubled the sales numbers, they would still have a net subscriber loss.

Sprint's marketing of the Pre has actually been nice in contrast to Palm's high concept nonsense.
    Last edited by mikah912; 07/29/2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yup, agree,

LMAO!!! that is hilarious! How do you market a phone with cheap hardware? Just curious...most ppl just pick up the phone and don't like it...let alone use it on a daily basis...software that's still working out kinks...beta anyone? Basic features missing..IMO Sprint saved money to advertise a more productive and better build quality phone
    I can't really add much new to what has already been said here, but I did note an interesting situation at a Sprint store a couple of weeks ago.

A guy was in the store with his girlfriend. He did not have a Pre but had heard about it and was excitedly showing it to her...for what appeared to be a near-term purchase decision. I was in there with my Pre and he asked me a question...so I answered it and started to show him some other parts of the phone that are not immediately intuitive - e.g,. gestures, wave bar, multitasking, synergy, that you can synch with iTunes or connect as a USB drive, etc.). He asked about the browser and how it compares to the iPhone's and I showed him...explaining that they are both based on the same open-source browser.

He just kept getting more excited and was trying to get her interested...and she just kept her enthusiasm in check. At the end, they left...after he mentioned that she "just wants an iPhone"

There certainly are compelling technical reasons to buy a Pre just as there are compelling technical reasons to get an iPhone. The same can be said about Sprint vs. AT&T. That said, I think that many folks are not making the decision at an intellectual level - they have an emotional attachment to a specific brand. For others, it's a fashion choice or a desire to have a device that makes some supposed statement about its owner...not a technical comparison based on relative merits. Palm needs to build that brand to stand a chance...and until they do, Sprint is going to have a hard time fighting against AT&T and the iPhone.

$0.02
    Part of the blunders on launch with the Pre and Tour was Pre not having enough inventory and Tour being pushed out just to match a date with VZW when supposedly the Sprint launch was a week later.

Things like that don't help when you are trying to keep or gain new subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaXVI View Post
    Part of the blunders on launch with the Pre and Tour was Pre not having enough inventory and Tour being pushed out just to match a date with VZW when supposedly the Sprint launch was a week later.

Things like that don't help when you are trying to keep or gain new subs.
    Just wait until the Pre comes to Verizon! The churn rate for Sprint certainly won't diminish. Verizon will have the Pre, the Storm 2, and maybe some type of Apple product (perhaps even a tablet). Sprint is DOOMED.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Just wait until the Pre comes to Verizon! The churn rate for Sprint certainly won't diminish. Verizon will have the Pre, the Storm 2, and maybe some type of Apple product (perhaps even a tablet). Sprint is DOOMED.
    Man these replies get even more amusing...when and if Vzn gets the pre it will be even more crippled..there was a post made about this a while back, search for it..good reading. If ur a Vzn customer you should already know how Vzn locks phones down to their limited software..have any phones with wifi? How is ur data plan working for you..minutes count against you monthly limit..how about SMS? Again just proves my point I made earlier about Vzn customers....move along son nothing for you here...
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    LMAO!!! that is hilarious! How do you market a phone with cheap hardware? Just curious...most ppl just pick up the phone and don't like it...let alone use it on a daily basis...software that's still working out kinks...beta anyone? Basic features missing..IMO Sprint saved money to advertise a more productive and better build quality phone
    Are you kidding me ?

Like the million or so iPhone folks know more than pinching and zooming ?
    and the billion Blackberry folks know more than responding to email.

Try telling folks about all metal casing and oleophobic screen .

9 out of ten folks buy the phones based on the following
    ( I should say smart phone users who are willing to pork 70 plus dollars a month)

good phone that can make phone calls ( yeah that can call )
    good keyboard
    good internet device.

I agree the quality thing , but that won't bother that 9 out of 10 folks.

sir , you and I are minority of the 48 millions that SPRINT has as customers.

Talk to Dan Hesse and he will tell you how many of their customers are paying 70 plus bucks month.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post

There certainly are compelling technical reasons to buy a Pre just as there are compelling technical reasons to get an iPhone. The same can be said about Sprint vs. AT&T. That said, I think that many folks are not making the decision at an intellectual level - they have an emotional attachment to a specific brand. For others, it's a fashion choice or a desire to have a device that makes some supposed statement about its owner...not a technical comparison based on relative merits. Palm needs to build that brand to stand a chance...and until they do, Sprint is going to have a hard time fighting against AT&T and the iPhone.

$0.02
    Very well said , folks are herd, one sheep crosses the road , the herd follows.

Make no bones about it, iPhone is the king of the jungle.
    If SPRINT and PALM wants to fight out , they should go head to head with it in the final battle.

Not to mention battling blackberry along the way.

SPRINT should step up the marketing like they did with Instinct.
    I know quite a number of Instinct user who still think their phone is superior to iPhone on all features.

What can I say ?

SPRINT , not PALM is at the loosing end here.

For PALM , Verizon offers another chance in four more months.
    SPRINT has to rely on the upcoming Android Hero, or die a painful death.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast