Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i don't get it either.... my Sprint service has been working great the last 4yrs... maybe it's because of where i'm using the phone primarily (ny,nj,ct)....

i can't remember when i last dropped a call, the data speeds are faster than verizon's too....

sure, the iphone is nice, but what's the point of having a smartphone if the at&t service it runs on is utter garbage...

i just don't get it.......
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    There certainly are compelling technical reasons to buy a Pre just as there are compelling technical reasons to get an iPhone. The same can be said about Sprint vs. AT&T. That said, I think that many folks are not making the decision at an intellectual level - they have an emotional attachment to a specific brand. For others, it's a fashion choice or a desire to have a device that makes some supposed statement about its owner...not a technical comparison based on relative merits. Palm needs to build that brand to stand a chance...and until they do, Sprint is going to have a hard time fighting against AT&T and the iPhone.
    Exactly.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    i don't get it either.... my Sprint service has been working great the last 4yrs... maybe it's because of where i'm using the phone primarily (ny,nj,ct)....

i can't remember when i last dropped a call, the data speeds are faster than verizon's too....

sure, the iphone is nice, but what's the point of having a smartphone if the at&t service it runs on is utter garbage...

i just don't get it.......
    It's all about perception and Sprint was terrible for a number of years. It took years to trash the brand and it's going to take years to repair it (if it's possible).

Personally, I think Sprint is angling themselves to be bought. Right now, Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile parent) is huge in Europe and would love to be huge in the US but they are stuck at a distant 4th. Sprint has sold their towers and networks opps to third parties so that they are essentially a reseller of wireless services. This makes them a good take over target for a GSM carrier like DT.

I don't want to see that as my wife is an employee of Sprint but that is my analysis.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    public perception is very negative towards sprint. When i show people my pre they say its cool they ask where they can get one. When they hear the word sprint they always give a hatefull response. Sprint caused this with years of **** customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    SPRINT has to rely on the upcoming Android Hero, or die a painful death.
    Um...no.

Android isn't that much of a blockbuster, even for T-Mobile. Sense UI or no, there's no one handset that will help Sprint. It's got to be a series of shots coupled with Sprint getting out of its own way.

For a value carrier with nothing to lose, they erect way too many barriers for new people wishing to purchase handsets and sign or renew contracts.

1) Launching a device with insufficient inventory. You can build waiting lists and replenish inventory all you can, but a customer who can't buy your product RIGHT NOW is a customer lost. The Tour and Pre launches didn't have the needed stock on hand, and they lost lots of customers with both.

2) The mail-in rebate. Yes, there are lots of people here who don't mind filling it out and waiting, but there are way, WAY too many who do. And Apple/AT&T's strategy of getting the handset out of the door cheap w/no questions asked and cleaning up on the monthly bills is obviously working. A mail-in rebate IS an impediment to purchase. Period. Say "Best Buy" all you want, but that's just a workaround, not a solution.

3) Redo the Everything plans. For me and a lot of others, they are a tremendous value, but there are circumstances where someone has a family plan but only needs data on ONE line, and Sprint needs to plug that hole and quick.

There are a lot of other little steps they could take (e.g. making the Premier program mean something, train CSRs not too put out so much disinformation, etc.) to make things easier, but these are the major hurdles they gotta clear so that they can add subscribers. There should be no way in hell that it is easier and less taxing to buy an iPhone on day one than it is a Pre. Yet for all of Sprint's crowing about what you save over a year, it IS more expensive and more difficult to buy an iPhone on day one than it is a Pre.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I can't really add much new to what has already been said here, but I did note an interesting situation at a Sprint store a couple of weeks ago.

A guy was in the store with his girlfriend. He did not have a Pre but had heard about it and was excitedly showing it to her...for what appeared to be a near-term purchase decision. I was in there with my Pre and he asked me a question...so I answered it and started to show him some other parts of the phone that are not immediately intuitive - e.g,. gestures, wave bar, multitasking, synergy, that you can synch with iTunes or connect as a USB drive, etc.). He asked about the browser and how it compares to the iPhone's and I showed him...explaining that they are both based on the same open-source browser.

He just kept getting more excited and was trying to get her interested...and she just kept her enthusiasm in check. At the end, they left...after he mentioned that she "just wants an iPhone"

There certainly are compelling technical reasons to buy a Pre just as there are compelling technical reasons to get an iPhone. The same can be said about Sprint vs. AT&T. That said, I think that many folks are not making the decision at an intellectual level - they have an emotional attachment to a specific brand. For others, it's a fashion choice or a desire to have a device that makes some supposed statement about its owner...not a technical comparison based on relative merits. Palm needs to build that brand to stand a chance...and until they do, Sprint is going to have a hard time fighting against AT&T and the iPhone.

$0.02

your 100% right, I see this mindset all the time, and everyone thinks like that to some degree. Having the best or a competitive product is not enough. In some peoples eyes, Sprint is just the same old poor customer service, poor coverage Sprint. In my experience both are not true, especially over the last few years...but its hard to overcome reputation, whether fair or not. Unfortunately, perception is reality. Sprint, and Palm, needs to build a larger loyal fan base. I think the new line of Sprint commercials are a step in the right direction
    (Palm needs to stop those weird a** ads there running!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    your 100% right, I see this mindset all the time, and everyone thinks like that to some degree. Having the best or a competitive product is not enough. In some peoples eyes, Sprint is just the same old poor customer service, poor coverage Sprint. In my experience both are not true, especially over the last few years...but its hard to overcome reputation, whether fair or not. Unfortunately, perception is reality. Sprint, and Palm, needs to build a larger loyal fan base. I think the new line of Sprint commercials are a step in the right direction
    (Palm needs to stop those weird a** ads there running!)
    So, how do you explain the high churn rate if Sprint, according to you, has good customer service and coverage? You know the old adage, "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    So, how do you explain the high churn rate if Sprint, according to you, has good customer service and coverage? You know the old adage, "you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"?
    Because Sprint customers hear "Sprint Sucks!" all the time and so when their contract renewal comes up they think the grass might be greener when it isn't necessarily.

I'm not saying Sprint is perfect but they have a much worse rep then they should.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    Because Sprint customers hear "Sprint Sucks!" all the time and so when their contract renewal comes up they think the grass might be greener when it isn't necessarily.

I'm not saying Sprint is perfect but they have a much worse rep then they should.
    That's a cop out. People aren't that stupid. They leave Sprint if they don't like the experience.
    That's a cop out. People aren't that stupid. They leave Sprint if they don't like the experience.
    ...or if a popular handset is elsewhere

...or if they don't need an Everything plan for their whole family, but want a hot new phone

...or if they want a hot new handset, but don't want to pay $299 out of pocket

...and several other reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...or if a popular handset is elsewhere

...or if they don't need an Everything plan for their whole family, but want a hot new phone

...or if they want a hot new handset, but don't want to pay $299 out of pocket

...and several other reasons.
    exactly, and the Pre is not going to reverse Sprint's fortunes--it's not that great.
    exactly, and the Pre is not going to reverse Sprint's fortunes--it's not that great.
    There's no one handset that could, iPhone excepted.

I think the Pre is great and sold what it needed to sell. But Sprint indeed has to change the buying experience. They've improved customer service. The plan rates and perks are second to none. This is the last, and perhaps most important, piece of the puzzle.

Dan Hesse has to sit down and say "Ok....what could possibly discourage a buyer who wants to get a Sprint phone like the Pre?" And he should eliminate every one of the answers ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's no one handset that could, iPhone excepted.

I think the Pre is great and sold what it needed to sell. But Sprint indeed has to change the buying experience. They've improved customer service. The plan rates and perks are second to none. This is the last, and perhaps most important, piece of the puzzle.

Dan Hesse has to sit down and say "Ok....what could possibly discourage a buyer who wants to get a Sprint phone like the Pre?" And he should eliminate every one of the answers ASAP.
    Agreed, and goes to show that the lowest price is not sufficient enticement to prevent defections, nor to bring in enough new customers.
    Well Sprint can add 1 to their numbers because I jumped ship from AT&T (was with them for 10 years). I had Sprint back in the day and now the service has totally changes it soooooo much better. I am so happy I made the switch love, love, love my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by gicutie View Post
    I am so happy I made the switch love, love, love my Pre.
    That will last until you notice dead pixels...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Wow, didn't see that coming.
    You mean like any LCD screen can get?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I think the iphone falls in a different category than the pre to be honest. I know they are the two "hot" phones right now, so obviously they are getting comparisons.... That being said, (i came from iphone/touchpro) this is the way I see it:

The iphone is a glorified toy. It's so simple even the most idiotic users can function right out the gate with it. Thats the catch... Their market is HUGE because lets be honest, there are a lot of tech-retards out there... That and Apple/media has done a good job of making it the trendy device to have.

I still deal with iphones on a daily basis at work, and while the screen/display is nice, and touch screen works great... The underlying software is crap. The apps are 99% junk, and not being able to multi-task or have a hardware keyboard means that in a corporate environment they are worthless to me.

Each phone has unique characteristics, and the iphone will always outsell devices like the Pre simply because they cater to the lowest denominator. Thats a good thing. I think even the Pre is pretty well dumbed down, but I'm hoping that in the future Palm gives us more options and configuration choices.... I KNOW going forward that the iphone doesn't do what I need it to, and Apple won't change the fact that it's a pain in the *** to do anything other than download a fart app on it.
    the king of the jungle only covers double digit market share...there is plenty of room for the pre without the iphone losing sales. Why do people keep insinuating that its one or the other?
    "No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

-- H.L. Mencken

Don't rely on people to make decision based on their own intelligence. Tell them what they want to hear, and then tell them what to do. The informed consumer is a rare thing, and they will typically be well researched and decide what they want based on their own ideals. The common uneducated consumer just wants to have "the best," and will typically listen to whomever they view as an authority.

Also, many people have had a lot of difficulties with the iPhone and AT&T, but they keep going back, even though things may not have worked at all. They are told it is the best thing out there right now.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast